Win an entry to Wines2Whales with Love The Bike Challenge

Nick

Lets make a list of stuff peeps can/will do to rig the system so organizers can know what to look out for?

1. Lots of miles & Time but no Calories burned usually tracker was used on a motorised vehicle.

2. Clocked lots of miles but at excessively, inhumanly possible speeds, also with no calories or too little for the said workout, usually tracker was used on a motorised vehicle.

3. Racked up Distance, Time & Calories but but when viewed on a map they never moved, usually tracker was used on a stationary bike.

All i can think of for now, but this is going to be a tedious job for the judges to scrutinize each & every participants ride for 30 days, already 109 people registered wait until the word starts spreading. And sadly people are dishonest, yes the very mtb'ers here on the hub & on strava, rogue riders trespassing on private land or riding on "members only trails" without day passes, then they still have the audacity to log their ride on strava.

Yeah, I'll be on my bike as well.

No need they just need to scrutinize the winners and if something is wrong the runners up and so on and so on. I almost cheated unknowingly but asked the admins to help rectify the problem. I'll offer my services as an analyst to try help. The cheater must be banned from strava and thehub.

Giving your GPS reader to a mate is just being a dooooooooooooooooooos

No need they just need to scrutinize the winners and if something is wrong the runners up and so on and so on. I almost cheated unknowingly but asked the admins to help rectify the problem. I'll offer my services as an analyst to try help. The cheater must be banned from strava and thehub.

Giving your GPS reader to a mate is just being a dooooooooooooooooooos

well who ever does the verification can see if the riders, rides all start at the same location & it should go back months if possible, HR fluctuations (I mean huge discrepancies), previous speed over same course or route, any inconsistency really.

well who ever does the verification can see if the riders, rides all start at the same location & it should go back months if possible, HR fluctuations (I mean huge discrepancies), previous speed over same course or route, any inconsistency really.

Good point, but consider this: I ride with a mate fairly regularly. We ride the same trails, in Tokai, at the same pace. On alternate days, we could ride the trails separately, while sharing a GPS Strava-enabled device of some kind. We ride the same routes, at pretty much the same pace.

Wouldn't it be almost impossible to figure out this form of cheating?

p.s. I haven't entered myself, just giving my 2c.

Good point, but consider this: I ride with a mate fairly regularly. We ride the same trails, in Tokai, at the same pace. On alternate days, we could ride the trails separately, while sharing a GPS Strava-enabled device of some kind. We ride the same routes, at pretty much the same pace.

Wouldn't it be almost impossible to figure out this form of cheating?

p.s. I haven't entered myself, just giving my 2c.

yeah I suppose it would be but whoever cheats will have bad luck the entire 3days of the race, sleepless nights in the tents & flats & mechanicals all 3 days, lol!!

Had a crash this weekend, so I missed Sundays long ride to stay in contention, I guess I'm officially out now. Good luck to all those still gunning for 2nd place.

Please see the attached screenshots. Is this possible? Riding at 40km/h plus with HR of 100bpm and pushing to 80km/h plus and HR nearly touching 135bpm? This is on a stationary bike.

If he rides on the road it looks like he can only get an avg speed of 20km/h

I've never been close to this fitness level ever.

This guy is unstoppable.

post-47803-0-82606400-1409819138_thumb.jpg

post-47803-0-79698800-1409819145_thumb.jpg

Please see the attached screenshots. Is this possible? Riding at 40km/h plus with HR of 100bpm and pushing to 80km/h plus and HR nearly touching 135bpm? This is on a stationary bike.

If he rides on the road it looks like he can only get an avg speed of 20km/h

I've never been close to this fitness level ever.

This guy is unstoppable.

Hi Pitpaplo,

Any indoor trainer activities not marked as such in Strava will be disqualified altogether.

When an activity is marked as Stationary within Strava they will typically only use the total duration figure and ignore distance, calories, etc.

When a Powermeter is used Strava will also include Calories as they calculate Calories based on the power output.

We are doing some spot checks on the top contenders and will weed out any suspicious or incorrectly marked activities.

When the competition closes we will review ALL activities for the various category winners.

If you spot anything out of the ordinary please mail us at lovethebike@thehubsa.co.za

Thanks,

Matt

• 3 weeks later...

So its finished, seems I just missed out. Glad Bernie Made it as his spirit not focusing just riding as he felt and going to church every sunday really impressed me.

Pity the calories category seems to be more about what machine you used or if you can benifit from group rides to get high readings. I broke a GPS and my other one gave me 30% more for similar rides and it seems some people are burning incredible amounts of calories on simple rides.

Was the winner announced already or are they still auditing Eugenes incredible feat of 54 rides in only a 30 day period, assuming he rode twice a day (to work & home) he must've been averaging about 70km's per ride or thereabouts #kudos

Hi Milky,

You did look at my ride seeing that you mentioned (to work & home) so you must have seen that I stopped and started the Garmin between rides even if it was only 11km from work to home just to feed the dogs and then take off on my own or to join the Tuesday or Thursday group ride. If I walk away from the Garmin without switching it off I get HR reading problems. There is also a few rides that is only 2km from my main office to the second place I support. :-)

Every KM I've done and some in the worst weather I've ever cycled. My profile is open for anyone to check and I'll leave my face on the profile picture. I cycled very hard to catchup as I started late. 300KM over a Saturday and Sunday and yes after work I've done 80KM sometimes getting home at 20h00. 

Its also easier if you break up your distance in 40km before work and then another 40km plus after. I was suspected of having an affair but that will be only with the bike. :-)

Take care and cycle safe

Eugene 

I did 56 rides in 28days. I took 2 days off work in the last week and rode even though I had flu. I might be considered a bit of a try hard though.

My mission was to climb alot and alot of climbing I did  :P.

Screen shot taken after my last ride of the challenge:

Hi Milky,

You did look at my ride seeing that you mentioned (to work & home) so you must have seen that I stopped and started the Garmin between rides even if it was only 11km from work to home just to feed the dogs and then take off on my own or to join the Tuesday or Thursday group ride. If I walk away from the Garmin without switching it off I get HR reading problems. There is also a few rides that is only 2km from my main office to the second place I support. :-)

Every KM I've done and some in the worst weather I've ever cycled. My profile is open for anyone to check and I'll leave my face on the profile picture. I cycled very hard to catchup as I started late. 300KM over a Saturday and Sunday and yes after work I've done 80KM sometimes getting home at 20h00.

Its also easier if you break up your distance in 40km before work and then another 40km plus after. I was suspected of having an affair but that will be only with the bike. :-)

Take care and cycle safe

Eugene

Hey Eugene

As I said kudos to you dude. No I did not check your rides out, I dropped out of the comp a long time ago hence I'll leave the auditing for the organizers, I just made the assumption that if you do 2 rides per day over a 30 day period you are bound to end up with about 60 rides granted a couple of off days here & there.

Good luck to you mate.

I did 56 rides in 28days. I took 2 days off work in the last week and rode even though I had flu. I might be considered a bit of a try hard though.

My mission was to climb alot and alot of climbing I did :P.

Screen shot taken after my last ride of the challenge:

Well done badger. You did very well catching up. I think most of us that pushed the km everyday caught some flu.

The last week I started on the Monday with serious headache and flu.