Sub-3h and Sub 3:30h Cape Argus Finishers Wanted for Research on Pacing

Science in Motion

Dear fellow HubSA members,

The MRC/UCT Research Unit for Exercise Science and Sports Medicine is conducting a study to investigate the psychophysiological determinants of pacing during prolonged endurance.

The aim of the study is to determine the physical and mental factors that make up the High Performance Athlete. The study will investigate the differences between 'Elite' and 'Sub-Elite' cyclists as well as the differences between the 'Winners' and 'Losers' of a simulated head-on-head competition on a virtual hilly 70km time trial course.

Eligibility criteria are:

Male

Age 18-45

'Elite' cyclists: Sub-3 hours Cape Argus,>8h per week, and if available a PPO of 5.3 to 5.7 W/kg and a VO2max of >60 ml/min/kg

'Sub-Elite' cyclists: 3:15 to 3:30 Cape Argus, 6-8h per week, and if available a PPO of 4.5 to 4.9 W/kg and a VO2max of >55 ml/min/kg

Requirements are:

4 visits to the Sports Science Institute of South Africa, Newlands, Cape Town in the next 6 to 8 weeks

Visit 1: 3.5-4h, incl. Anthropometry, VO2max testing and 70km Familiarization

Visit 2: 2.5-3h, maximal 70km Baseline Time Trial

Visit 3: 3-3.5h, maximal 70km Individual Time Trial, incl. questionnaires and blood sampling

Visit 4: 3-3.5h, maximal 70km Competition Time Trial against an equally matched cyclist, incl. questionnaires and blood sampling

Benefits are:

A full and comprehensive VO2max Report

Spin Scan analysis of your two Experimental Time Trials

A Psychological Performance Profile

For more Information see Research Posters attached and/or contact:

Dr. Andreas Venhorst, MD

andreas.venhorst@gmail.com

We are looking forward to having you as a participant!

Kind regards

Andreas

Research Poster Psychophysiology Elite.pdf

Research Poster Psychophysiology Sub-Elite.pdf

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I emailed that address last time and got no response. What time can the sessions be from and can it be on a weekend?

I emailed that address last time and got no response. What time can the sessions be from and can it be on a weekend?

Hi Skistar15,

I have replied to all incoming e-mails. Should you not have received a response by me, yet, please send me your E-Mail address via sms and I will send you the requested more deatiled Information.

Sorry for the inconvinience.

We are looking Forward to having you as a participant.

Kind reagrds

Andreas

Same here. No response last time...

Dear dee_biker,

I have replied to all incoming e-mails. Should you not have received a response by me, yet, please send me your E-Mail address via sms and I will send you the requested more deatiled Information.

Sorry for the inconvinience.

We are looking Forward to having you as a participant.

Kind reagrds

Andreas

Hey, why the discrimination?

I'm almost 50 yrs old, and still managed a sub 3:30 Argus this year.

Hulle kan nie bloed trek uit yster uit nie, man... :whistling: Therein lies the problem!

Hey, why the discrimination?

I'm almost 50 yrs old, and still managed a sub 3:30 Argus this year.

Hi Wannabe,

With regards to the 45 years criteria:

Unfortunately, we cannot easily change the inclusion and exclusion criteria. When applying for clearance by the Human Research Ethics Committee (HREC), we have to argue on these criteria based on best clinical evidence to minimize the risks of all potential participants involved. Once the study has been approved, changes to these criteria cannot be made without an reassessment by the HREC.

We are well aware that these criteria are somewhat arbitrary, but they are based on certain guidelines. Thus, we have to adhere to these guidelines, although we would agree that a fit but slightly older person is likely to have a lower risk than a sedentary but younger person.

We hope for your understanding that we are bound to certain guidelines and procedures that are ultimately in the best interest of participants and their welfare. Given that we do maximal testing and our results will not contribute to a ‘greater good’ the guidelines are skewed to minimize risks as good as possible.

Kind regards

Andreas

Hi All,

thanks for your interest in the study and addressing some questions upfront.

With regards to nutrition and supplements during the visits:

During the first visit (VO2max and Familiarization) you are welcome to bring whatever you prefer and routinely use.

>

> Before your second visit you will be asked to do a "mini-taper" of two days, like you would do before an important race. This will include your typical pre-race training diet. You can then use energy drinks and/or water as usually preferred during a real race.

>

> For the two experimental trials you will be asked to copy your "mini-taper" as closely as possible and we will provide you with energy drinks at a rate of 60g carbohydrates per hour to assure maintenance of blood glucose. Water will be provided ad libitum.

>

Kind regards

Andreas

Hi All,

thanks for your interest in the study.

There were some questions with regards to the group criteria:

The inclusion criteria are comparatively strict and the range quite narrow. This is, because we have to find for each cyclist a matched Partner that is within 2% of ones time Trial time achieved during the Baseline time Trial on the second visit. This will increase the chances to find pairs of cyclists that are physically equally fit. Thus, we are relatively strict on the W/kg that need to be pushed during the VO2max test. In our experience the required W/kg relate quite well to the Argus times described above with some obvious variation due to weather and starting group. We suggest to use your Argus time or to compare yourself with the Argus times of your training colleagues. Ultimately there is only one way to find out and that is to come in for the VO2max test.

Cheers

Andreas

Hmmm numbers... I never get above 2.8W/kg on my IDT. Comfortably below 3:15 even on a windy day (and I am fat). Maybe you should test us oldies for "... been there, done that..."!