Versus Cycling Socks

Versus Socks

Completely by chance I presume, no linkage to the current outrage at alllll

Haha there is just no winning in this situation, the first post with a non white person was always going to be perceived as "corrective" (which I guess it is). But I would have waited a while before posting anything at all on Insta if I was them. 

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha there is just no winning in this situation, the first post with a non white person was always going to be perceived as "corrective" (which I guess it is). But I would have waited a while before posting anything at all on Insta if I was them. 

Nah, I applaud them. Lean into it by going full retard in the opposite direction to what they were.

Hmm. I think that protesting / objecting to the way people do things in SA is part of the territory when running a successful business, or any in fact.

Having your opinion heard whether emotionally charged or not is a beautiful part of life, regardless of who takes offense... there will ALWAYS be one person. 

I think that I can understand both sides of the story... I think. 

1. Yes, I do believe that there should always be a level of inclusiveness. As privileged people, we can never fully understand what it is like to not be able to afford a pair of R130 or whatever they cost now socks. Nearly 60% of SA is under the poverty line, so I honestly support them including people who may not be able to afford such socks. With saying that, I don't think the selection of PDA shouldn't be based on race alone, but,  A. Do you love running / sport ? B. Can you afford our product? C. Can we get a return on investment?

2. The other side which I understand is, it's our company, why should we kneel to some people complaining? Part of my pet hate on cancel culture, it's an absolute cancer.  if you would like to not include PDA athletes, totally your choice and there should not be a single person to influence you otherwise. You're a privately owned company. If people truly want to complain, go to government and ask where the basic services are. If you want to cancel anyone, look at the government.

They have changed the way they repost from people's IG accounts over the last few days .....a little more demographic

Well good, that means they are learning and improving.

2. The other side which I understand is, it's our company, why should we kneel to some people complaining? Part of my pet hate on cancel culture, it's an absolute cancer. if you would like to not include PDA athletes, totally your choice and there should not be a single person to influence you otherwise. You're a privately owned company. If people truly want to complain, go to government and ask where the basic services are. If you want to cancel anyone, look at the government.

Only needed if you want to continue selling to the people complaining. If they are not part of your target market them you can ignore them until their outrage fades into the short social media memory. Next week there will be someone mad at woolies again for some reason and versus will be forgotten.

But if they can make a change , it can potentially gain more SM clout than what they lost in the outrage.

Even here on the hub we saw someone who back pedaled on his decision to boikot Trek between his outrage and him actually buying a bike.

Sexy socks has a fantastic programme. Buy a pair of their socks and they donate a pair of school socks to a needy child. I buy sexy socks

I have a few pairs of Sexy socks and they are too tight, compared to Versus. So if their product doesn’t fit, I won’t buy it, and the goodwill gesture is rendered irrelevant (for me).

If their fit was fight, then it would be different. Either way, how companies spend their earnings is not my deciding factor to buy/not buy.

Brands need to remember that if 5 people with 200 follewers are tweeting about it, nobody will ever know about it. 

As soon as you discuss it, your 55 000 engaged followers all know about it. 

Would have just started making the page more inclusive and added some ambassadors to it. 

I have a few pairs of Sexy socks and they are too tight, compared to Versus. So if their product doesn’t fit, I won’t buy it, and the goodwill gesture is rendered irrelevant (for me).

If their fit was fight, then it would be different. Either way, how companies spend their earnings is not my deciding factor to buy/not buy.

they sexy socks, not fatsacks

Sexy fits my wide feet better than versus too

So there's that