Couldn't find a thread for TREK MTB owners, so here it is!

I've been on a Superfly 100 AL Elite since June last year and it's pretty much been bulletproof apart from a rear shock leak. I have a 45-50 seeding index, so I'm no speedster, but it serves me well, and passes a lot of carbon things along the way.

Post up your technical advice and maintenance knowledge here.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally a proudly South African bike, I am a Groot Trek fan. My collection currently consists of the following, 2 x Trek Madone 6.9SSL, 1 x Trek Madone 5.9SSLX, 1 x Trek T2000 tandem, 1 x Trek SuperFly 100, 1 x Trek SuperFly 9.8, 1 x Trek SuperFly Carbon Comp, 1 x Trek 6 Series and a Trek 16.

Originally a proudly South African bike, I am a Groot Trek fan. My collection currently consists of the following, 2 x Trek Madone 6.9SSL, 1 x Trek Madone 5.9SSLX, 1 x Trek T2000 tandem, 1 x Trek SuperFly 100, 1 x Trek SuperFly 9.8, 1 x Trek SuperFly Carbon Comp, 1 x Trek 6 Series and a Trek 16.

Where do you sleep? And where do you park your cars? With a bike collection like that..no space probably.

Where do you sleep? And where do you park your cars? With a bike collection like that..no space probably.

I keep renovating the garages to fit them. After the new SLR Emonda, but only availbe in Jan 2015 in RSA

I got a 2012 Super Fly Elite and love it.

Just be careful that your BB bearing s don't seize and then turn in the frame causing the BB shell to wear.

I keep renovating the garages to fit them. After the new SLR Emonda, but only availbe in Jan 2015 in RSA

Well best you start renovating then..sounds like you gonna need more space..

08 Trek EX8. Best bike I've ever owned. Heirloom bike. I rode it , then passed to current wife, now passed to my son. Goes like a dream. First soft tail I ever sat on.

What size frame do you ride? :ph34r:

I got a 2012 Super Fly Elite and love it.

Just be careful that your BB bearing s don't seize and then turn in the frame causing the BB shell to wear.

Oh and how could I forget my trusty 2005 Trek 1500 SLR.

Never had any problems with any of the Treks. Wash and lube after every ride, check shock, check chain, set gears and they will ride like new again and again. I have also registered with Trek and if I need support, they are more than helpful.

Approached my LBS and worked there (for free) for a couple of Sat mornings and was taught by the mechie on how to maintain my bike. Bought the tools and a work stand. Best investment ever.

56cm road and 19,5 MTB

Damm, I was thinking of doing some midnight shopping in your garage but I am a 58/21.5 :lol:

Crazy nice collection though, one day when I'm big I'll do the same. Always been a Trek fan ever since my Trek TR20 bmx, why I sold that bike I will never know.

Ride a 2013 Superfly 100AL with a good few upgrades, love it to bits!

I've done the same. Only stock thing is the frame.

• 3 months later...

Just discovered something interesting.

I am doing an annual stripdown of my 2013 Superfly 100 AL Elite.

Some of the pivot bearings are a bit scratchy, so I went to the LBS that I bought it from to buy new bearings.

Only problems are:

1. Can't buy just the bearings.  Must buy "kits" that include new bolts etc, which cost R2,300 in total. Yikes, and f--k that!
  2. The bearings they are presenting as replacements are not the same as the ones fitted as OEM.  The rear axle pivots and rocker pivots are clearly marked as VRS bearings, and the replacements are 2RS.  This means that the OEMs are full compliment bearings (no cage and double the amount of balls) and the replacements have cages.  This means that the replacements have about half the load bearing capacity as the originals, and will become pitted much more easily, which means more regular replacement.

Just be aware of this when you are paying for your bike to be serviced.