To Tandem or not to Tandem

WayneO

Could I please get some experiences here from some people who have actually ridden a tandem before. I'm considering getting one so that the Mrs and I can go ride together.

I feel that as I'm a stronger rider it would be more advantageous to ride a tandem as currently she "does not want to ride with me as I'm much stronger and she will just frustrate me"

I have heard it is a make or break experience?

Thanks

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Borrow one first. I am also pondering the Idea. Would like this to get the wife interested in the sport and then get her her own bike but for that I feel buying one will be a waste.

We bought a tandem in April. Love it. Took the winter off but doing our first race this weekend. D2D 60km.

I am way stronger but it doesn't matter, we work together. Surprisingly my wife puts in a lot more effort when riding as she can focus on the pedaling and not have to worry about gears, other bikes etc which make her nervous when riding on her own.

Best quote I heard before buying it: A tandem will accelerate your relationship in whichever direction it is destined to go.

Definitely has potential. However, it does not abslove you from buying flowers, washing up after supper, helping with kids, cleaning and other versions of quality time (intercourse not regarded as quality time unless accompanied with aforementioned). Proceed wisely and with trepidation.

I bought a road tandem in 2003 as my older daughter wanted to do the Argus. Thereafter my younger daughter commandeered the back seat for about 5 94.7 races.

It was a special to spend this training and racing time with my kids.

Then my wife , who is a cyclist, joined me on the tandem. This was a different experience as my kids had no cycling experience and I was the boss. Whereas my wife and I had different opinions about speeds , etc. Our disagreements were never significant and are still a great source of amusement to us when we talk about them.

We sold the road tandem as it was too small but we still have plans to buy a dual suspension 29er mtb tandem.

Recommended. Only thing to make sure is that you prefer more or less the same cadence. Its never like both like it, but we were/are close. The rest is easy to sort out with communication/agreements. Borrow one and try it in a quite area first.

Edited by straatvark

Give it a try! For a few years I rode tandem with my sons and enjoyed it tremendously. :( It is the best way for 2 riders of very different strength to ride together. My wife is not a cyclist and although I tried, I could never get her interested enough to join me. I still miss the tandem and still often check the classifieds for tandems. Why? I don't know!

Edit - Now she paddles a double kayak with me, and that goes really well, so it wasn't a compatibility thing. She says she prefers drowning to ending under a bus! :D

Edited by DJR

I bought a road tandem in 2003 as my older daughter wanted to do the Argus. Thereafter my younger daughter commandeered the back seat for about 5 94.7 races.

It was a special to spend this training and racing time with my kids.

Then my wife , who is a cyclist, joined me on the tandem. This was a different experience as my kids had no cycling experience and I was the boss. Whereas my wife and I had different opinions about speeds , etc. Our disagreements were never significant and are still a great source of amusement to us when we talk about them.

We sold the road tandem as it was too small but we still have plans to buy a dual suspension 29er mtb tandem.

if only i could find a decent one!

Was in the exact same situation as yourself.

Bought a tandem and never looked back.....absolutely love it.

It is a unique experience just to know that your Mrs. is right behind you and you won't leave her behind (and you do not need to slow down for her to catch up).

Get yourself a tandem, or even better borrow one for a while, and you will absolutely love every minute of it (especially the downhills). :-)

Just to conclude....I currently have a Raleigh T6000 (blue and black) for sale, bike is virtually still brand new and did more or less 300 km's in total. Comes with a Shimano Flightdeck computer (very handy on a tandem) to show the pilot which gear he is in. Tandem is a Large at the front and small at the back. Reason for considering to sell is, I have bought another tandem. Looking to get +-R13500.

In short to answer your question.....definitely TO TANDEM!!!!!

My wife and i tried.

It was crap.

we love riding together, but our riding style is very different, so we just fought the whole time.

BORROW one and go for a few rides together to check compatibility first.

Go for it, I am also considerably stronger than my wife so she always whines when we ride together and I get totally bored/barely break a sweat not to mention the numb bum if i have to dawdle along with her. We did one race on a borrowed tandem and came very close to being one of the first tandems to finish were it not for 2 punctures. You can actually use your strength and put in a hard ride and she can concentrate on just pedalling and following your cadence within her limits. She will be forced to push her limits a bit which will improve her cycling and you will also win as you get a great workout. She will also get to lose her fear of speed as you can build up a wicked pace, especially on the downhills. We are always talking about buying a tandem and the only thing stopping us is time and money given that a good tandem is top money. One day.....

My wife and i tried.

It was crap.

we love riding together, but our riding style is very different, so we just fought the whole time.

BORROW one and go for a few rides together to check compatibility first.

Ha Ha Ha.....I asked hubby to try one with me a few months ago. There was a nice one in the classifieds. His answer, "NO NO NO!!! " He said sharing a bike with me is going to be s similar experience to us sharing a duvet. :(