Crossfit

Anyone been trying crossfit out?

I get bored easily.

So, my usual cycling and running regime is boring me. Feel like changing things up a bit with a bit of crossfit.

Welcome opinions.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wayne - it can be as good for you as it can be bad for you!

Injury possibility is greatly increased when Olympic movements are done to time.

That being said - it is social, entertaining and a great workout compared to time needed.

Be careful and you could go a long way - get egotistical and you might spend more time in rehab.

It is good fun

Been doing a "type of cross-fit" training since June (2 x a week, 50 mins per class).....and it has done wonders for my cycling and running... Can really feel a big difference!!

I love it!!

("type of cross-fit" = It focuses more on muscle endurance and a lot of explosive exercises)

I'd rather watch cross-fit videos on youtube if I was bored.

Agree with @Vinnydabutcher on incorrect movements which is often seen at crossfit.

If you know how to properly perform all the moves and do it controllable it should be fine.

I do cross training, and it is the one class I am still exited about 3 times a week, after almost 2 years.

If you're curious and in centurion, come join for a few classes.

http:// https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=309327845881855

This morning's spring day workout:

Alternate 100m sprints with overhead press, tyre drag, tyre flips, rope climb, box jump and some others.

I do cross training, and it is the one class I am still exited about 3 times a week, after almost 2 years.

If you're curious and in centurion, come join for a few classes.

https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=309327845881855

This morning's spring day workout:

Alternate 100m sprints with overhead press, tyre drag, tyre flips, rope climb, box jump and some others.

Rook julle iets daar?

Having done crossfit for about 10 months I've recently decided to stop. I've enjoyed it thoroughly but I'm finding it conflicts with cycling - especially if you increase your riding intensity/volume. Even after months of doing crossfit there are still sessions where my body is seriously fatigued for days.

At my box I have no control over what they've got planned for session (which is good - keeps things interesting) however it often meant I arrived Monday evening to do a sufferfest of squat type exercises which means doing intervals Tues/Wed very difficult.

My second issue with CF is that not everyone at CF is ever going to compete at the CF games.. If you only go to the box twice a week then there will be exercises/movements that you only get round to once a month. So trying to teach me to do a walking handstand is just a waste of time - I'll never master it and quite frankly have no ambitions to walk on my hands!

For variety and the "off" season its great but if you're on limited time then there is no substitute for the bike.

I'd be interested in hearing how some of the others that do crossfit fit it all in and how they structure their week.

Having done crossfit for about 10 months I've recently decided to stop. I've enjoyed it thoroughly but I'm finding it conflicts with cycling - especially if you increase your riding intensity/volume. Even after months of doing crossfit there are still sessions where my body is seriously fatigued for days.

At my box I have no control over what they've got planned for session (which is good - keeps things interesting) however it often meant I arrived Monday evening to do a sufferfest of squat type exercises which means doing intervals Tues/Wed very difficult.

My second issue with CF is that not everyone at CF is ever going to compete at the CF games.. If you only go to the box twice a week then there will be exercises/movements that you only get round to once a month. So trying to teach me to do a walking handstand is just a waste of time - I'll never master it and quite frankly have no ambitions to walk on my hands!

For variety and the "off" season its great but if you're on limited time then there is no substitute for the bike.

I'd be interested in hearing how some of the others that do crossfit fit it all in and how they structure their week.

Excellent points.

However, due to my rather "interesting" work schedule, i will be doing fully private classes.

I am hoping this will also give me an opportunity to have some input as to the direction the training goes.

Time will tell.

Wayne - it can be as good for you as it can be bad for you!

Injury possibility is greatly increased when Olympic movements are done to time.

That being said - it is social, entertaining and a great workout compared to time needed.

Be careful and you could go a long way - get egotistical and you might spend more time in rehab.

It is good fun

Great post and advice.

Thumbup

I gave up Crossfit for this exact reason. The training used to be sp intense that I couldn't recover in time for my cycling interval training sessions

Crossfit is something a competitive cyclist will attempt during early base training. As the racing season approaches, training should become more specific to the demands you will be placing on your body. Most of the conditioning then starts taking place on the bike.

If, however, you're not a competitive cyclist and ride your bike for the fitness benefits then crossfit is an excellent means of improving your functional full body strength.