Nick

Cyclist safety is a serious concern, especially when on the road. Many road cyclists and commuters have at least one story about their dance with death. Ikubu, based in Stellenbosch, have developed a device that they hope will better prepare you to avoid these close encounters.

Click here to view the article

I think it's great that it was designed is South Africa. The price point is quite high though and there only seems to be free shipping to the US. Whoot?

I think it's great that it was designed is South Africa. The price point is quite high though and there only seems to be free shipping to the US. Whoot?

I'm part of the Backtracker team. For members of The Hub SA we will refund shipping costs in South Africa, if you place an order in the next 3 weeks. Just throw out a tweet including your name, @ridebacktracker and @thehubsa. If you don't tweet...drop us a mail ;-)

The shipping cost is due to a constraint on the crowdfunding platform, so we'd love to give you that money back. We want our local community to be the first to cycle around with Backtrackers. Cycling in SA is dangerous, and we want to make a difference.

Edited by FranzStruwig

I'm part of the Backtracker team. For members of The Hub SA we will refund shipping costs in South Africa, if you place an order in the next 3 weeks. Just throw out a tweet including your name, @ridebacktracker and @thehubsa. If you don't tweet...drop us a mail ;-)

The shipping cost is due to a constraint on the crowdfunding platform, so we'd love to give you that money back. We want our local community to be the first to cycle around with Backtrackers. Cycling in SA is dangerous, and we want to make a difference.

Hi Franz

Personal mail send.

Great to see someone looking after SA locals. Hope that you guys have all the success in the world.

Talking about products, how about an external device like yours that connects to a smart phone via Bluetooth and then uses an app which to do the same thing.

That way all smart phone users that are cyclists could have this functionality running and have an alarm in their backpack or on their handlebars in the same way.

If you could integrate this with Garmin or other computers.....

Great to see someone looking after SA locals. Hope that you guys have all the success in the world.

Talking about products, how about an external device like yours that connects to a smart phone via Bluetooth and then uses an app which to do the same thing.

That way all smart phone users that are cyclists could have this functionality running and have an alarm in their backpack or on their handlebars in the same way.

If you could integrate this with Garmin or other computers.....

You are spot on! Our unit supports Bluetooth LE, so the next step is to create apps for smartphones and Google Glass. Lots of interesting possibilities then start to open up!

I really think Backtracker is an awesome product, however with the price point at R2,125, I can't see myself buying it any time soon. Have you considered selling the back light unit separately form the front unit? Perhaps reducing costs even further by removing the bluetooth and instead adding audible feedback to the light? Just some thoughts.

• 2 weeks later...

Spotted this from Interbike

http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p4pb11411286/p4pb11411286.jpg

http://www.lupine.de/eng/products/rear-tail-lights/rotlicht

"Lupine had this new Rotlicht (red light) on display. 160 lumens, 55g and attached via a simple rubber belt. It features a Brightness Sensor which reacts to ambient light, for example if a car's headlights appear behind you it turns up the brightness. But what really caught my attention was the built in accelerometer senses when you slow down and illuminates a brake light. Is this a first in the cycling industry? Lupine also have a range of Smartcore batteries. Pictured is the largest 13.2Ah, it has an LED Capacity Indicator and can be used to recharge anything using the USB connection. Great for keeping your SmartPhone alive on camping or adventure rides when you need to stay in constant contact with Facebook."

• 3 months later...

Quick update on this product.

Garmin have bought out iKubu, the maker of Backtracker. Perhaps we'll see the Backtracker's features in an Edge device soon.