So I rencently had a SS bike built up for commuting (and doing this year's 94.7 Cycle Challenge).It's +/-1980's Sancini Cinelli road frame, sprayed matt black with a matt clear coat. We used black components as far as possible and silver where we had trouble finding black. SR Suntour SS Chainset with Integrated Chain Guard and black rims with silver spokes. I wanted bullhorn bars, but we had trouble finding ones that fit the stem, so we ended up flipping and chopping off drops. 42T-18TThanks to Glen Abraham (Bikes & Bicycles) for sourcing all the components and building the bike to my specifications! I can really recommend him.I love technology and gadgets and find projects such as Revolights (http://revolights.com) and Project Aura (http://aurabicycles.com) really cool. Unfortunately they are also very expensive. So I set out to build my own wheel lights using a couple of red and white LEDs. I think it turned out pretty awesome for a first prototype.Posted some pics on Google+ https://plus.google....sts/UyKGLWbuq7A

post-12543-0-06249000-1409676595_thumb.jpg

post-12543-0-96682300-1409677923_thumb.jpg

Edited by wernerhp

I cant comment on youre build since I don't know much about road bikes,but I like black bikes and this is a beaut for shore. :thumbup:

This is my first road bike and it's quite different from a MTB. Handlebars are a lot narrower and the ride is a lot harder than what I'm used to on a MTB.

I cant comment on youre build since I don't know much about road bikes,but I like black bikes and this is a beaut for shore. :thumbup:

So I rencently had a SS bike built up for commuting (and doing this year's 94.7 Cycle Challenge).It's +/-1980's Sancini Cinelli road frame, sprayed matt black with a matt clear coat. We used black components as far as possible and silver where we had trouble finding black. SR Suntour SS Chainset with Integrated Chain Guard and black rims with silver spokes. I wanted bullhorn bars, but we had trouble finding ones that fit the stem, so we ended up flipping and chopping off drops. 42T-18TThanks to Glen Abraham (Bikes & Bicycles) for sourcing all the components and building the bike to my specifications! I can really recommend him.I love technology and gadgets and find projects such as Revolights (http://revolights.com) and Project Aura (http://aurabicycles.com) really cool. Unfortunately they are also very expensive. So I set out to build my own wheel lights using a couple of red and white LEDs. I think it turned out pretty awesome for a first prototype.Posted some pics on Google+ https://plus.google....sts/UyKGLWbuq7A

not sure I understand this singlespeed thing.. is it a preference of cycling components or pimpmyride for bikes?

I'm not trying to be funny, this is a sincere question

not sure I understand this singlespeed thing.. is it a preference of cycling components or pimpmyride for bikes?

A bicycle in it's simplest form. It is a thing of beauty. No funny bits, bobs, fancy parts, labels, stickers. Just some pedals with some wheels.

You don't want to try win a race, get the fastest time, you just want to enjoy riding your bicycle.

Plus it helps for fitness (as you kind of just have to pad up and keep on peddling)

This one is sexy, nice build. Busy hunting for bull horn bars for my fixie build at the moment

It is hard to explain. SS are almost always a labour of love...you dont walk into a shop and buy one off the shelve...you sit and wrestle with frame material / budget / components / gearing / colours and then eventually get to a place where you absolutely happy with your choices. You then order / source the components from people / hub / online shops / lbs and eventually sit with a pile of "stuff" on your garage floor.

You then have a building ceremony where you and maybe a couple of mates wrench the bike together from the pile of stuff...some scotch and or lagers are part of this. Now once you have given birth to said bike you take it for a spin, a bike that has the bare the necessities, uncluttered, simple, light(normally due to the lack of stuffs on it). You immediately notice how quiet it is if your remove all the other kuk off your bike and to your amazement, you can actually get over that hill where you used granny before. Instantly you feel like you are 7 again, rolling around on your bmx in the burbs.

Okes moan on your group rides about mechanicals / costs of chains and cassettes and you cannot relate to their pains since you put a little lube on your chain every now and again and you are ready to roll. Singlespeeds are almost always secondary bikes...you know, I will ride my "race" bike at races only to preserve components and use my singlespeed for training, until the day you realize that you havent used your geared bike in races like you thought you would because the ol SS donkey has become your favourite.

Dude I can go on, but I think you get the just.

It is hard to explain. SS are almost always a labour of love...you dont walk into a shop and buy one off the shelve...you sit and wrestle with frame material / budget / components / gearing / colours and then eventually get to a place where you absolutely happy with your choices. You then order / source the components from people / hub / online shops / lbs and eventually sit with a pile of "stuff" on your garage floor.

You then have a building ceremony where you and maybe a couple of mates wrench the bike together from the pile of stuff...some scotch and or lagers are part of this. Now once you have given birth to said bike you take it for a spin, a bike that has the bare the necessities, uncluttered, simple, light(normally due to the lack of stuffs on it). You immediately notice how quiet it is if your remove all the other kuk off your bike and to your amazement, you can actually get over that hill where you used granny before. Instantly you feel like you are 7 again, rolling around on your bmx in the burbs.

Okes moan on your group rides about mechanicals / costs of chains and cassettes and you cannot relate to their pains since you put a little lube on your chain every now and again and you are ready to roll. Singlespeeds are almost always secondary bikes...you know, I will ride my "race" bike at races only to preserve components and use my singlespeed for training, until the day you realize that you havent used your geared bike in races like you thought you would because the ol SS donkey has become your favourite.

Roukie, wanneer kry jy 'n belt? Dan val daai probleem ook sommer in die pad. Al wat dan nog kort is die hosepipe afspoel sessie (maar partykeer los mens dit ook)

well said mate, I don't know when last I rode my "race bike", but it still looks pretty hanging in the garage!

+1 on all that!!!

Uncomplicated simple fun...

Awesome! How did you do the lights??

+1 - intrigued on the power source etc, if its housed inside the rim / tire does it not unbalance the wheel?

The first picture doesn't have the lights in yet. This version of the lights is really basic and the LEDs and wires are visible.

I took some LEDs, soldered a resistor to the anode and a thin telephone wire to the resistor. I put some heat shrink over anode and resistor to isolate it. I then split the LEDs anode and cathode around the spoke nipple and wrapped the cathode around the nipple to hold it in place. The wire attached to the anode is then wrapped around the spoke and attached to the + pole a 3xAAA batter pack which I taped to the hub with insulation tape. I hook the - pole to any spoke which completes the circuit to the cathode which is wrapped around the nipple.

My next experiment is to use some recently acquired rims and drill small holes in them to fit the LEDs and wires inside the rim. Drilling holes in the rims might compromise their structural integrity, but it's an experiment, so we'll see how it goes. Hopefully drilling the holes only in the outside won't compromise them too much. My guess is it will be fine for this bikes use.

I had a chat with a buddy of mine who is pretty clever with electronics. He gave me some ideas to improve the design. He suggested I fit a rechargeable coin cell battery on the hub with a Joule Thief to power the LEDs and use magnets on the fork and small coils on a spoke or two to inductively charge the coin cell battery when the wheel spins. (Whoot!?!)

Will try this sometime...

Give me some shouts if you have ideas to improve this and post your own pics :)

Awesome! How did you do the lights??
+1 - intrigued on the power source etc, if its housed inside the rim / tire does it not unbalance the wheel?
Edited by wernerhp

Amen Rouxtjie....my SS has become my 'go-to' bike.

I only ride my SC Tallboy for stages races and rides longer than 60kms.

Everything else is on my SS

At the risk of taking this thread massively off track...

Rouxtjie has nailed it. I kind of had the feeling that my single speed build (still in progress) would become my favourite. To the point where I have decided to build a 120mm travel trail single speed based on the Cotic simple frame. I know I've gone overboard and perhaps crossed the line a little with the KS LEV, buy hey, I had it lying in the garage, and that's a fundamental principle for a single speed build in my book (use stuff you had lying around!)

• 1 month later...