Dark Horse Brands appointed as exclusive distributor for Trek & Bontrager in South Africa

News bot

There's no problem, just clarifying that as Dark Horse Brands we are not affiliated to Dark Horse Wheels just as we are not affiliated to Dark Horse Comics, Investments, Finance, Distributors etc.

Not sure why some hubbers have got there panties in a knot about the fact that we're just trying to clarify who sells what.

This sir, is The Hub. Thou doth not use such a tone with the folk here. You are to take whatever's thrown at you like a gentleman, and you are to explain yourself to their satisfaction, and in defending yourself, you will not make use of words like 'panties'. Not till you're at 1000 posts...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Royalty Sports have appointed local businessman, Mr. Chad O’Riordan to its Board as sales director with immediate effect.

And now:

"Says Chad O’Riordan, Managing Director of Dark Horse Brands: “We’re excited at the opportunity..."

Mmmm, makes you wonder.

What's it got you wondering Horacio...?

"Some staff that were working with the Trek Brand before have moved across to Dark Horse to try and maintain some continuity."

We only found out about Dark Horse Wheels after we had registered our company and started communicating to IBD's. As a Limited company we are registered on a different system to Dark Horse Wheels as a Closed Corporation, hence their name did not come up and Dark Horse whatever is by no means original.

There are about 20 other Dark Horse Companies registered in SA, we chose the name as it resonates with where we feel our brands are in the market place.

Can you please explain what bully BS are you referring to? Surely stating that we are not involved with Dark Horse Wheels is merely stating a fact to clarify any confusion?

Leading with this explanation would have been a good idea. Would have saved (edit) the confusion.

Not sure why some hubbers have got there panties in a knot about the fact that we're just trying to clarify who sells what.

Being a corporate representative you should be bigger than name calling. If your going to get sucked into stuff like this on the Hub your doing your brand a massive disservice.

Edited by DuncanCT

Leading with this explanation would have been a good idea. Would have saved (edit) the confusion.

Being a corporate representative you should be bigger than name calling. If your going to get sucked into stuff like this on the Hub your doing your brand a massive disservice.

Didn't realise I was out of line calling people on the Hub "Hubbers"

I unreservedly apologise to anyone offended by the use of this term.

"Some staff that were working with the Trek Brand before have moved across to Dark Horse to try and maintain some continuity."

A leopard doesn't change its spots... Wishing them the best though in trying to fix the Trek brand. Maybe this time they are for real. Go for it Mr Mulebar!

A leopard doesn't change its spots... Wishing them the best though in trying to fix the Trek brand. Maybe this time they are for real. Go for it Mr Mulebar!

Thanks and yes WE are for real!

Didn't realise I was out of line calling people on the Hub "Hubbers"

I unreservedly apologise to anyone offended by the use of this term.

Good for you... showing me your the bigger man. Was just trying to help you out. Clearly I was wasting my time.

*Horatio...

I love thehub.

Faaark - does anyone call Shimano by it's importers name Coolheat?

I'm gonna buy me a Hullabaloo - oh I mean a Rocky Mountain....

Apart from this thread I'm guessing 99% of hubbers will never hear the words Dark Horse Brands ever again - it'll be Trek Trek Trek.

Dry out and untie your panties people.

I love thehub.

Faaark - does anyone call Shimano by it's importers name Coolheat?

I'm gonna buy me a Hullabaloo - oh I mean a Rocky Mountain....

Apart from this thread I'm guessing 99% of hubbers will never hear the words Dark Horse Brands ever again - it'll be Trek Trek Trek.

Dry out and untie your panties people.

. Give this man a bells, well put Eldron

What business is it of hubbers what companies name themselves? (there is a shop in Pretoria East called "The Hub" btw. Perhaps a better crusade for hubbers so inclined to take on?)

If there is a dispute, it would be between the dark horses to settle, no?

*you're

About time someone started correcting grammar and spelling on the hub. Since some of the old guys have moved on standards in the use of the language and the courage to correct miscreant posters seems to have resulted in a noticeable drop in readability of posts.

Not to rain on your parade, but they would have heard of them AFTER registering their name, and before posting on the Hub, right? Therefore once performing a more thorough search, what was initially thought to be an unused name (which they subsequently used) they then found out was used (after having registered / used the name Dark Horse)

The Hub is not the place where names are registered. They found out about Dark Horse Wheels, and therefore, in an attempt to maintain clarity, they illustrated the disconnect in their initial post.

No malice or ill intention there, guys.

Ok, so who really cares what the company is called, however I do have to wonder how much this new company knows about the industry if they have never heard of Dark Horse Wheels? Really? I am not "in" the industry and I know all about Dark Horse Wheels........ Anyway if Dark Horse wheels challenge them they are in pole position to win the case as they have used the name for a significant period of time within the cycling industry and are well known (except to the the new Trek distributor). Dark Horse cosmetics etc etc are not relevant as they do not operate in the same industry and I highly doubt that they would even object or that their registration is even in the same category.........Its just good business practice to avoid these issues and conflicts....

Hands up all hubbers who have heard of Dark Horse Wheels??

Oh yes, one other thing, If Dark Horse Wheels knows about an infringement on their trademark and do not challenge it, they may loose the right to keep it............thats assuming they have registered "Dark Horse Wheels" as a trademark and not just as a CC..... I see a race to the registration office as we speak...........

If Trek decided "not to renew their contract" what does it help that the SAME people now just work for a different named company?

Same Leopard just different spots?