Building a quiet DH bike

Hog_

I may as well say it first - Clutch rear derailleur, and minimise your chain length.

(but you knew that already). :)

Yes, the clutch and short chain are already in play.

I still need to figure out how to silence the BOS shock as well. It sounds like I'm molesting a squirrel every time I hit a rocky or rooty section.

velcro on the inside faces of your chain device. stay away from hard rubber chainstay protectors. they make a noise. velcro or that mastik stuff works best.

almost forgot: earplugs.

Edited by Capricorn

Earplugs would at least solve the issue with the BOS.

I have some mastik type stuff on order from Amazon, until it arrives the inner tube method will have to do though.

your approach is wrong

thats where you want your chainstays

You actually make a pretty solid point. Not sure the wife would be happy with me buying yet another bike though.

Ill take a picture of my slap stop design for the top, and I put some double sided tape on and put 0.5mm plastic on to protect the frame, made it quiet also.

Search for Sam Hill's Iron Horse downhill bike from a few years back . You could get some ideas. It was famous for being a very quiet bike - how he wanted it

Gave the bike a proper test at Spicak on Sunday, and it's quite good at the moment. The BOS needs to go though! Can't hear the chain over the damn shock!