Review: Onza Canis 29 x 2.25 Tyres

Matt

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I shipped my bike down to the Cape 10 days before W2W last year. When it became clear that we would be riding in heavy rain and mud I asked the LBS to suggest and fit a tyre. The new Onza Canis had 2 punctures and a sidewall cut on day 1. Never used it again. Geax or Schwalbe only now.

Changed Geax back Schwalbe front to both Canis 2.25. Best decision ever. So much more traction and no problems so far after doing 2 multi stage races (RE:CEM 200 and Greyton MTB Tour) as well as Knysna 80km. Lots of mud and was happy with how it dealt with the mud. I am 102kg and running 2bar pressure.

Reading the above comments I think people may be running too low pressures resulting in sidewall cuts

So if I cut the sidewall of a Maxxis High Roller does that make it a bad tyre? No. These knock the socks off Racing Ralphs for sure, just choose the right spec. If you ride a 120tpi tyre down a rockfall you're asking for trouble. I've used these for years. 120 on the front, 60 on the back.

Ive been riding a Racing Ralph at the back and a Canis in front and Ive come to love it.. replaced with Racing ralph with a Geax Sanguaro and the combination is really good, grippy and good rolling resistance.

• 1 month later...

Been using canis on back and racing Ralph in front. Both had the same amount of distance on. Onza, is way more durable than racing Ralphs. Just replaced front with new canis. Grip and rolling resistance is awesome. Wouldn't use anything else.

• 7 months later...

Needed to make a decision to stay with the racing Raphl that has never let me down or try something new

So I purchased the canis 120 I likd the narley stuff but still enjoy the climbs less than 200km and a side wall pinch which looks wired and a Pierced tread

I love this tyre ,grips well ,climbs well but I sm hesitant in buying s new one

Just bad luck or go back to the old faithful ....

Needed to make a decision to stay with the racing Raphl that has never let me down or try something new

So I purchased the canis 120 I likd the narley stuff but still enjoy the climbs less than 200km and a side wall pinch which looks wired and a Pierced tread

I love this tyre ,grips well ,climbs well but I sm hesitant in buying s new one

Just bad luck or go back to the old faithful ....

Likely a bit of bad luck, although I have heard from others using the 120tpi that with the thinner sidewalls they're susceptible to cuts. 

The thicker 60tpi I reviewed here only came off the bike in Feb this year. They held up impressively well in some seriously rocky terrain in Lesotho Sky 2014 and a bucket load of Epic training thereafter. 

I'd recommend opting for 60tpi if you'll be riding rockier trails.

• 11 months later...

The rear tire on the missus's bike has been losing pressure of late, without any signs of puncture.

Last night after washing the bike, I found the "rabies" foam of leaky sidewalls.. so much that I could hear the air escape...

Tires are a couple of months old. Planning to take it back to the LBS in order to get some kind of resolve (new rear tire)

post-24416-0-62130500-1462529363_thumb.jpg

post-24416-0-32866300-1462529374_thumb.jpg

post-24416-0-60240100-1462529385_thumb.jpg

Edited by RocknRolla

I have a deer with no eyes.

I will have to check.

Front tire does not do this, exact same tire.

Edited by RocknRolla

at joBerg2c last week had my front and back tyre let me down with sidewall cuts running at 2bar

still dig the tyre. 

Edited by Hamstring

Back tire sidewall under more pressure therefore more likely to suffer from problem, IMO

Ja had the same back tyre problem in rocky places up here in Gauteng, when running non-snakeskin Schwalbe's front and back. The back took a beating and was leaking like a sieve from the sidewalls, but the front was fine. It's about the back wheel not always followingthe same line as the front , where one would try and avoid as much sidewall strikes.

Edited by Kraggie

Need to replace my back tire, was thinking of the onza canis but from reading all the comments here im a bit skeptical, are people having sidewall cuts from the 120tpi or 60tpi tires????? Continental tires getting too expensive!