Cape Uplift Days

Guest Omega Man

It's more of a traffic issue TBH. You could NEVER run an uplift service at Tokai for example on a weekend. there's just too many people riding down the jeeptrack.

Jonkers you could get away with maybe cos it's far more spread out but I wouldn't hold out much hope for those 2 venues TBH.

Fully agree with you on Tokai re weekends. Would've suggested public holidays but that's almost as busy and let's not mention the fact that you'd have to sell our dear friends at SANParks on this idea.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fully agree with you on Tokai re weekends. Would've suggested public holidays but that's almost as busy and let's not mention the fact that you'd have to sell our dear friends at SANParks on this idea.

The idea has already been presented and agreed in principle with the Parks section ranger, through Deon, Duane and Vince last year. It's just the official, written approval which was always outstanding. And that's the little chestnut that the TMMBF and the Uplift Day needs in order to get Tokai in on the action. Sadly, that is with the higher - ups

The idea has already been presented and agreed in principle with the Parks section ranger, through Deon, Duane and Vince last year. It's just the official, written approval which was always outstanding. And that's the little chestnut that the TMMBF and the Uplift Day needs in order to get Tokai in on the action. Sadly, that is with the higher - ups

Who happen to be the hard sell. Personally would be happy to see uplift days at Tokai provided a way is found to inform all other Tokai users thereof in a suitable and timely manner.

AWESOME!

Regarding Tokai, have the Uplifts the last sat of every month.

On the day of the uplifts have a poster stating there will be uplifts today.

People will learn very quickly… and can actually plan around it if they cant stand the idea...

Guest Omega Man

Who happen to be the hard sell. Personally would be happy to see uplift days at Tokai provided a way is found to inform all other Tokai users thereof in a suitable and timely manner.

Don't hold your breath here boys. Sanparks works in geological time. Deon's has been pushing our case at every meeting with them tho. If it happens it's a bonus cos I still think Tokai has the best and most varied DH track in the Western Cape. (Admittedly I might be biased here)

But if it were to go ahead it would most certainly NOT be on any weekend or public holiday. Ever! The proposal was for Friday afternoons which is a low traffic time at Tokai.

The last thing we want is for some poor chap to end up in the grill of an uplift truck. And we also don't want to inconvenience the majority of Tokai users.

Edited by Omega Man

AWESOME!

Regarding Tokai, have the Uplifts the last sat of every month.

On the day of the uplifts have a poster stating there will be uplifts today.

People will learn very quickly… and can actually plan around it if they cant stand the idea...

As OM will point out Saturday's are just too busy for that to work. Perhaps if the Friday afternoon Uplift days get the go ahead and run well then the issue can be looked at again.

Don't hold your breath here boys. Sanparks works in geological time. Deon's has been pushing our case at every meeting with them tho. If it happens it's a bonus cos I still think Tokai has the best and most varied DH track in the Western Cape. (Admittedly I might be biased here)

But if it were to go ahead it would most certainly NOT be on any weekend or public holiday. Ever! The proposal was for Friday afternoons which is a low traffic time at Tokai.

The last thing we want is for some poor chap to end up in the grill of an uplift truck. And we also don't want to inconvenience the majority of Tokai users.

Good luck OM! Hope you guys get the green light! Could only be good for DH at Tokai and good for Tokai in general.

Could an uplift service in Tokai not work by driving riders up Ou Kaapse into Silvermine and to the gate. They can ride down to where the trails start? It could become quite a long trip though.

Could an uplift service in Tokai not work by driving riders up Ou Kaapse into Silvermine and to the gate. They can ride down to where the trails start? It could become quite a long trip though.

Wahhh! Too much pedalling!! :ph34r: (also latest trend is no chain...haven't you heard??)

Edited by capediver

Wahhh! Too much pedalling!! :ph34r: (also latest trend is no chain...haven't you heard??)

See...I reckon OM has seen the future and already gearing up!post-35907-0-76173500-1410347837_thumb.jpg

Guest Omega Man

See...I reckon OM has seen the future and already gearing up!post-35907-0-76173500-1410347837_thumb.jpg

No. Just. No!

Guest Omega Man

Done that a few times with mates. It's about a 20-30 minute pedal to the top of the DH track.

That doesn't sound like much but it's hard going doing that on an 18kg bike with a 63 degree head angle, Fat tires, low seat, DH gearing and in a full face lid. Not really optimal.

Edited by Omega Man

Done that a few times with mates. It's about a 20-30 minute pedal to the top of the DH track.

That doesn't sound like much but it's hard going doing that on an 18kg bike with a 63 degree head angle, Fat tires, low seat, DH gearing and in a full face lid. Not really optimal.

mmmmm, I distinctly recall doing just that in the F-place on your "Enduro" day! DH made in worthwhile tho! (errrr was that you we had to keep waiting for?)

Guest Omega Man

(errrr was that you we had to keep waiting for?)

My fitness strategy for the trip was to be fitter than the most unfit guy (Goolam) but then he ruined it by destroying his knee on the 2nd day.