Lighting for dark rides?

Dirkitech

Hi All,

Currently my working hours are such that I only arrive at home after dark. Unfortunately the moonlight alone isn't enough for a safe visibility and I want to invest in serious lighting when riding in the dark.

I'm looking for a light that:

A. I can cycle with (helmet, handlebar, whatever mount)

B. I can detach for using on 'n kamp in die bos - very nice optional

C. Has a high lumen output i.e. it actually lights up the road to see as a car light does for a car and doesn't just make a shiny white blob on your head for oncoming traffic.

D. Includes modern features like light, strobe, sos flashing

E. Has a decent battery life while provides sufficient lighting. around 2-3 Hours would be good

F. If it has stungun-properties to use instead of mace, you get extra "likes"

I've looked at Blinder (better than the rest but still meh), cateye (many misleaded, such meh), and several other no-name brands.

So far only the higher end Niterider models stand out, but I'm not finding much reference and reviews as to how useful people find them as opposed to vendor trash.

Normal flashlights with mounting options or ideas are equally welcome!

Spam as many suggestions as you like, as long as it applies at least point A to C. kgo :thumbup:

Edited by Dirkitect

Lupine, Hope and Exposure, in that order. Niterider aren't bad either. Magicshine are poo. (I know I'll get flamed for this comment, but it doesn't change the facts...)

There are a few threads on lights, have a dig through the archives.

I have the Lezyne Super drive. http://www.lezyne.com/product-led-perf-superxl.php#.VAhmQEttelI

The new one is 700 lumens where mine is only 500. On full power lasts about 3 hours and I find i more than adequate (for road use at least). Nice and compact, none of these horrible battery packs, aluminium construction, easily removable and can be used as a normal torch. Would happily recommend.

Hmm, I agree with Droo, except for the magicshine comment. To me, they still represent good value. I have two (1200 lumens spot for commuting/road and a 1600 lumens for MTB) and they are both still 100%. Batteries are still good for around 2-3 hours on high.

The 1600 lumen is ideal for night mountain biking - nothing else is needed. A helmet mounted one was nice for quick blast through the forest on the Oak Valley 24 hour but not necessary for commuting. One of them came with a rear light too which worked off the same battery. That broke but I think I manhandled it too much (turned the bezel too far). Blinders are good for the rear - and recharge off USB so you save weight and money on batteries.

Bought a nice headlight/bar mount light from Cycle shop in the West of JHB. Was about R650 and for 1200 lumens with a 3 hour on full light. It has a dim mode and strobe mode as well. Comes with rubber band to mount on your handle bar and kit comes with headband. They also had the 3800 lumens for R1015, did not want to take this one because I feel that 1200 is more than enough.

I use Extreme Lights. I had the 1200 but then swapped it out for the 1.4k light after the 1200 developed a fault. Customer service was great and gave me full replacement value of the 1200 to go towards the new light.

It's more than bright enough!! I use it for 4am training rides on the road, and night time mountain biking, and I couldn't ask for more from it. It illuminates the whole road and has a good spread of light as well as a nice hotspot for shining far away. Best thing about it though is the battery - it lasts for around 6 - 6.5hrs on full power - long enough to get me through all of my night laps at the Oak Valley 24hr.

Can't go wrong!

http://www.extremelights.co.za/shop/extreme-1400-new-cree-xm-l2-improved/

With the price of lights nowadays from the local guys, chinese lights aren't really an option anymore. I can't comment on local lights as I bought a Magicshine clone from chine a few years ago. 900lm did me just fine. Battery life of around 3 hours when new. Nowadays (about 3-4 years later I get around an hour)

You definitely get what you pay for. The Exposures are nice as they have their batteries contained within the housing AFAIK. Expect to pay for that though. For commuting and camping and if you don't mind the cable and separate battery pack, for the price, the 1000 odd lumen local lights are great. When they do give up after the warranty is finished, throw it away and buy another one. They are rain and splash resistant as well.

If it was me, around 1000 lumens and less than a grand would be my mark for camping and commuting. They come with bar mounts and a head strap.

Don't waste your time with the SOS and strobe though. I used mine once to see if it worked and then cycled through them to get to the mode I wanted. A memory is also nice. Saves you having to cycle through all the modes to get to where you want to be.

Edit: Spelling

Edited by Grebel

I don't know the exact model but I bought a light from extreme lights in the region of 1000 lumens totally midrange, nothing too fancy, one led but hectically bright. It came with a very nice tail light. They still have the combo available if I remember correctly. My brother in law and I ride most mornings from on the spruit and we've done this through most of winter. Its pitch black for at least the first half of the ride. Actually I missed one morning and he went out and that morning the water in his water bottle froze. He also had swollen knuckles for a week. We then decided if it was below about 2 degrees we'd stay home. Suffice to say riding with this light has been amazing. It's meant we could train right through winter and despite the fact that I have to be home in time to take our little girl to school I can still manage around 20ks. This would be impossible without the light and frankly the ones you buy for being seen just don't cut the mustard on single track. We ride through the marks park section of emmerentia regularly and I make a point of keeping right over the big roots since this feels like what the trail is meant to do. The light was worth every penny to me. Its probably the one upgrade I've done to my bike that made the biggest difference since it had genuinely made me faster.

I have Magicshine something or another, have used it for commuting, as well as night mtb riding.

For commuting, the rear light is great, as it is really bright.

Have had ZERO issues in the almost 3 years of owning the light. Battery is still good, and I use it to illuminate my house (it's quite small) when Eskom does it's shenanigans.

I have tried the handlebar mounted flashlight, and what you spend on batteries, quickly adds up to buying a proper light.

Just needed to add that I've been flashed by oncoming cars with my 900lm light. MORE than enough light to see where you are going.

I no longer train on the road in the dark but I do try and get to gym a few times a week and on my way there I pass people training. You can never have too much light! While you are buying light to see where you are going please don't forget about buying light for others to see you from behind. For the record, those cheap flashers from Sportsman's Warehouse are not bright enough..... Many options but two come to mind. The Magicshine UFO lookalike and the Blackburn Mars/Flea are VERY bright. I had a flea on my seatpost as well as my helmet and my training partner was always in a position of uncertainty. Either sit at the back and be blinded by the red flashing lights or ride in front and block the 900lm headlight....

The difference between the Chineses and the proper lights is beam pattern. No point having the sun on your handlebars if it lights up the wrong bit of trail.

Has any of you experienced riding towards an oncoming cyclist who fitted himself a 200+ lumen light and having the angle a bit high. After some lady kaking me out one day I really could not hear her I rode past a guy that irritated and blinded me. I now think that was what that lady was on about. These lights outshine car lights so please use them wisely. The aim is to see where you are going and to be seen. Blinding your oncoming traffic puts both your lives at risk.

I find all lights worked well except for the batteriess...

They don't make "auto switch off" when we charge our batteriess.

If we charge too long, life of battery shorten....

Extremelights as said by others, the basic bottom of the range 1000/1200 lumen type with a tail light is perfect for on road and reasonable for off road( great if combined with an additional helmet light).Bargain at about R600 or so ( maybe more nowadays) Does what it says, very well. Good service too.

I have three bright lights and use them for all sorts of jobs(work in ceilings, while camping) i have one from Extreme lights, a 1200 Lumen(nominal value) and two "noname" 800 lumen, i struggle to see the difference with my untrained eye, but find the extreme light with higher battery capacity and ratings lasts a lot longer(3-4 hours) much better, the others are 3.7 volt IIRC and only manage 2 hours before going into safety mode, which has only flashing

Speak to Hannes at www.extremelights.co.za, the man is more passionate about lights than most hubbers are about cycling. Tell him I referred you, it will make no difference to the price but maybe he'll like me.

I have the 1200MkII. Dunno lumens, dunno price but I can recommend the product.

- I recently used it through the night on a big ride (20h+), on dim it lasted the whole night (12 hours).

- On bright I can ride twisty singletrack at night (duh) without needing a head lamp.

- I use this light at least 2-3 times a week.

- Get the optional handle bar mount. I did all of Race 2 Rhodes with this light mounted on roads so bad you struggle to walk them and it did not move a millimetre.

- I use it as a game drive light on the farm.

I am sure there are several other good products out there as well but I have put this light through it paces in many ways and its kept performing. Least one can ask.

Most importantly. Whatever light you buy, enjoy the night riding, it adds a lovely dimension to riding. Have fun.

Edited by Trackz