RIP Peter Haupt

Underachiever

As I understand it was not a cycle accident. He was in a car accident, head-on collision with a truck on the R44 near Paarl.

Didn't know him personally but he was well known & respected in the Northern Suburbs cycling community. Very sad to hear, RIP & condolences to his family.

Yip, this is what happened... RIP..

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As I understand it was not a cycle accident. He was in a car accident, head-on collision with a truck on the R44 near Paarl.

Didn't know him personally but he was well known & respected in the Northern Suburbs cycling community. Very sad to hear, RIP & condolences to his family.

Sjoe that's bad :eek: Thanx :thumbup:

I have known Peter for a very long time. Sold a number of bikes to me years ago. Was a true ambassador to cycling. Condolences to his loved ones. RIP.

Geezus...bought my bicycle from him at Cyclefunatics. He was brilliant. Gentle giant such an appropriate description. I'm gutted. RIP

My dad and Uncle Peter grew up cycling together, I got to know Justin as a kid and we rode many miles together as juniors... and a few years ago trained early in the mornings before work, so that he could be home in time to see his daughters off to school.

What an amazing friend and guy! I remember one year before the Argus Cycle Tour, I was having trouble with my bike and he came over at 7pm on a Saturday to give me hand!

My life is richer for having known BigJ. He is missed dearly already.

I met Peter many years ago when I started cycling (2000) he still had the cycling shop in Bellville and I use to go there with my dad who was also a cyclist. Had many laughs and chats there! Justin I also met there when he was helping out his old man.

I will however always remember the Durbanville HS race a couple of years ago. I started at the back with the Temps and just outside Durbanville saw Justin and his old man standing next to the road. One of them punctured! Anyway up the incline of Fisantekraal I got taken out and went down! A minute or two later Justin and his old man came past and encouraged me to hook onto the back. The old man shouted "come Pine"! I struggled to keep up due to the pace the old man was setting, but hung on! Eventually 50km into the race just after the Voor Paardeberg road we caught the bunch I was in before I went down! Both Peter and Justin were great guys and I had many chats with Justin when he was still working at Cyclefunatic. ALways use to see him on Botlary road, you could not miss him because he was a head taller than anyone else :-).

• 4 weeks later...

Absolutely crazy. You know how Facebook works. You look at someone's profile, then look at their friends, then their friends etc etc. A few months back I ended up on Justin's profile. And now I read this. Flippit. Didn't know him at all, but seems like he was an awesome chap. RIP man.