Tyler Farrar Joins Team MTN-Qhubeka

News bot

Tyler Farrar has joined Team MTN-Qhubeka p/b Samsung for the 2015 cycling season. The American sprinter has spent his last 7 years with the current World Tour outfit, Garmin Sharp. Farrar is also part of a select group of riders in world cycling that has won a stage in each of the 3 grand tours. Farrar brings a tremendous amount of experience with him to Team MTN-Qhubeka as well as some pure speed and power that will fit directly into the team’s plans and goals for the 2015 cycling season.

Click here to view the article

Noooooooooooooooo.

Tyler "Impotent" Farrar on our team. Damnit - that's cash we won't have for a real rider.

Yeah. I'm not a big fan :-)

Noooooooooooooooo.

Tyler "Impotent" Farrar on our team. Damnit - that's cash we won't have for a real rider.

I kind of agree, but he's got the potential to do very big things... maybe the team can get the best out of him? New leaf and all that :thumbup:

Noooooooooooooooo.

Echo echo

Aggenee

Not Tyler 'Crash Test Dummy' Farrar.

Hope, at least, he'll mentor a young sprinter within the team.

Nee man. Isnt it suppose to be an "African" team? I wonder what the ratio is between Africans and non-African? Anyone know?

Heard an unconfirmed rumor that MTN maybe pulling their sponsorship in the not to distant future... anyone else heard this?

Edited by shaper

Nee man. Isnt it suppose to be an "African" team? I wonder what the ratio is between Africans and non-African? Anyone know?

I agree, I liked the team a lot better when they did not have all these big, overseas names. I guess you need some experience to guide the riders, but this is getting too much.

Heard an unconfirmed rumor that MTN maybe pulling their sponsorship in the not to distant future... anyone else heard this?

Maybe you can't be retrenching 850 management staff and be seen to be sponsoring an international team :ph34r:

Wait for COSATU or Parliment to get invloved about quotas just like they doing with the Rugby at the moment :ph34r: :whistling:

I can't say I'm a fan of Farrar who is a bit of a whinger, but nevertheless I think its a good signing. The team are going to be potent in sprints as well as the Spring classics with this new lineup. Here's hoping they bolster their mountain goats for the 3 week tours.

I guess I should give the man his due - he is 72nd in the World Tour...

Regarding the "africaness" of the team - gotta have the big names to get into the big races. Useless having an all african team but not cracking the nod to any big races.

What sort of numbers are involved?

MTN been in the cycling game for a long long time now, would be sorry to see them leave on the cusp of this really growing bigger.

I saw an interview with Brain Smith (the new manager) he said the signings were also about the points needed to go big time.