Tyler Farrar Joins Team MTN-Qhubeka

News bot

I fear this is heading for a barloworld-esque implosion.

Granted they haven't won that many races this year.

so they've added 1 new SA rider and whats it, 3 Euro's? Think Jim is also out....

I saw an interview with Brain Smith (the new manager) he said the signings were also about the points needed to go big time.

Okay

Understood

Very necessary to move forward and upward!

GO MTNQ!!

I really can't see MTN pulling the plug... the Qhubeka campaign is probably getting them more mileage than any of their other sponsorhips. Times are tough, but you still need to do marketing.

Farrar, EBH, Ciolek, Gerdeman - all riders who promised much, but then faded away. Ciolek bounced back with MTN at MSR, hopefully Farrar and EBH can do the same. EBH was the hottest property in world cycling just 4yrs ago... he'll also bring a huge Scandinavian fan base (as well as possibly English) to the team, and Farrar will do the same with the massive American market. For me they're pretty damn good (and astute) signings for what is still a fledgling team.

If Meintjies and some of the other talented African riders get to the Tour de France on the back of these signings - it will all be worth it :thumbup:

Alonso? :ph34r:

Just kidding.

They will be a Pro-Tour team in a couple of seasons, and all pretense of an "African" team will be dropped. Don't be surprised if they become a Euro-registered squad like Barloworld - it's inevitable.

Pro Tour cycling is about exposure and revenue, not about building African cycling or giving Africans a means of transport.

MTN is an African company with zero footprint in the wider world. Essentially the team is a giant charity, that exists to generate awareness and social change etc etc. TV exposure in Europe barely benefits MTN in their actual base of operations. That's hardly a profitable business model - well, maybe for Douglas Ryder and a the team itself - but hardly for MTN.

Doesn't stop me rooting for them, though!

Smithy was reflecting on just that Catch 22 quandry, to go big time, they had to get Euro / American riders but they are still defining themselves as an African team, with the charity aspect, which is great I think, After all Smithy is a Scott.

Further than that, all I can say is ..... Woza Impey

Edited by kosmonooit

Further than that, all I can say is ..... Woza Impey

Who can forget 10 Aussies trying to sing that to Daryl last year?

Impi! wo 'nans' impi iyeza

Obani bengathinta amabhubesi?

Alonso? :ph34r:

Just kidding.

They will be a Pro-Tour team in a couple of seasons, and all pretense of an "African" team will be dropped. Don't be surprised if they become a Euro-registered squad like Barloworld - it's inevitable.

Pro Tour cycling is about exposure and revenue, not about building African cycling or giving Africans a means of transport.

MTN is an African company with zero footprint in the wider world. Essentially the team is a giant charity, that exists to generate awareness and social change etc etc. TV exposure in Europe barely benefits MTN in their actual base of operations. That's hardly a profitable business model - well, maybe for Douglas Ryder and a the team itself - but hardly for MTN.

Doesn't stop me rooting for them, though!

Do not think that is right. If I am not mstaken they have a large business in Iran. ............not sure cycling is well watched there though

Farrar, EBH, Ciolek, Gerdeman - all riders who promised much, but then faded away. Ciolek bounced back with MTN at MSR, hopefully Farrar and EBH can do the same. EBH was the hottest property in world cycling just 4yrs ago... he'll also bring a huge Scandinavian fan base (as well as possibly English) to the team, and Farrar will do the same with the massive American market. For me they're pretty damn good (and astute) signings for what is still a fledgling team.

EBH, Ciolek and Gerdeman all had great results at Team Highroad. I suspect they had a good supplements program going there, because almost all their riders were less impressive when they left - Cavendish and Renshaw too.

EBH, Ciolek and Gerdeman all had great results at Team Highroad. I suspect they had a good supplements program going there, because almost all their riders were less impressive when they left - Cavendish and Renshaw too.

Although Renshaw just won a stage at the ToB this week, and EBH won Team Skys 1st ever stage ... Its also to do with timing, placement in the team etc, Renshaw was always a lead-out for Cav

The shelf live of a sprinter is short it seems.

I was quite surprised to find out in the week that Qhubeka is not anything of MTN. MTN just partner with them. Apparently Hollard Insurance is also a massive contributor to Qhubeka. Qhubeka might leave but MTN won't