Iglinsky tests positive foR EPO

Cippo

Valentin Iglinsky has tested positive for EPO.

From the Guardian UK,

"Astana have announced the Kazakh rider Valentin Iglinsky has been sacked after he tested positive for EPO at August’s Eneco Tour, in the Low Countries.

The 30-year-old – whose elder brother Maxim also races for Astana – returned a positive sample on the opening stage of the race and has since admitted to using the banned substance, whose full name is erythropoietin, which boosts red blood cell production.

Astana have now terminated Iglinskiy’s contract with immediate effect and he has been provisionally suspended by the International Cycling Union (UCI)."

What do these things have in common?

• Alcohol prohibition
  • The War on Drugs
  • Pissing up a rope

Just saying, but it seems like Pandora's box is already open.

So now what?

Is WADA worthwhile or is it a hole for money?

Let me emphasise upfront that I do not condone any PED in sport (to prevent getting burned down to the laces before I even start)

But….. I do understand how these young athletes get to the point where they step over the line, especially in cycling.

They often have set themselves the target of becoming a professional cyclist at a young age and have sacrificed a lot (including an education) in order to get to the point of neo prof. Once there, they get by on a meagre salary (av salary in the TdF is €70k, this includes the top guys and a neo prof remuneration is unlikely to be north of €40k/annum) just to follow their dream. With cycling being where it is in terms of sponsorships, they also end up competing against seasoned professionals for team spots (and the team are using this competition to drive costs, i.e. salaries down). Lastly, I have been told that in total there are around only 2000 people (men and women) cycling professionally so the margin for error is razor thin

So in essence we have a huge number of athletes competing for a very small number of team spots with the income gap between making a team or not being binary (as opposed to say soccer where one can make a decent living in the Russian second division if you do not make it in any of the big leagues). Can thus see the huge temptation is stepping over the line just to make sure you keep the dream alive (especially if you are not one of the 0.1% top gifted individuals).

Let me emphasise upfront that I do not condone any PED in sport (to prevent getting burned down to the laces before I even start)

But….. I do understand how these young athletes get to the point where they step over the line, especially in cycling.

They often have set themselves the target of becoming a professional cyclist at a young age and have sacrificed a lot (including an education) in order to get to the point of neo prof. Once there, they get by on a meagre salary (av salary in the TdF is €70k, this includes the top guys and a neo prof remuneration is unlikely to be north of €40k/annum) just to follow their dream. With cycling being where it is in terms of sponsorships, they also end up competing against seasoned professionals for team spots (and the team are using this competition to drive costs, i.e. salaries down). Lastly, I have been told that in total there are around only 2000 people (men and women) cycling professionally so the margin for error is razor thin

So in essence we have a huge number of athletes competing for a very small number of team spots with the income gap between making a team or not being binary (as opposed to say soccer where one can make a decent living in the Russian second division if you do not make it in any of the big leagues). Can thus see the huge temptation is stepping over the line just to make sure you keep the dream alive (especially if you are not one of the 0.1% top gifted individuals).

Very valid point - but is it any different from elite competition in many other sports (Gymnastics, motorbike racing to ping pong, etc. - football/soccer being maybe the exception)

Hence, I would assume that the same hunger & drivers are there in those other sports too.

So I might assume/conclude that those sports are just as dirty????

Just a thought.....

Very valid point - but is it any different from elite competition in many other sports (Gymnastics, motorbike racing to ping pong, etc. - football/soccer being maybe the exception)

Hence, I would assume that the same hunger & drivers are there in those other sports too.

So I might assume/conclude that those sports are just as dirty????

Just a thought.....

I agree with the principle.

In every sport (or other activity) where the difference between being in our out is very big and if you’re are out you're basically toast, there is a big incentive to cheat and we should assume a material number of people are willing to go that route.

Do think cycling is specifically susceptible as it is an extreme endurance sport where the benefits of PED are materially more pronounced (vs something like ping pong)

I agree with the principle.

In every sport (or other activity) where the difference between being in our out is very big and if you’re are out you're basically toast, there is a big incentive to cheat and we should assume a material number of people are willing to go that route.

Do think cycling is specifically susceptible as it is an extreme endurance sport where the benefits of PED are materially more pronounced (vs something like ping pong)

I recon it applies to any sport that involves speed, power or endurance.

Hell target shooters have used beta blockers to calm their nerves.

If there's an angle....., someone will take the gap.

And if drugs don't help, they'll figure a way to bend the rules and use illegal equipment.

Edited by zaslinger

Fixed. You should have ended there.