Drop some more weight on bike????

Guest TheEpicOne

Guest TheEpicOne

Hi there hubbers

I need some help and advice, but first you need to kniw that when it comes to MTB parts I know nothing so anyone can bullsh#t me....PLEASE DON'T!!!!

I've recently upgraded to a carbon bike 2 months ago and my bike weigh in at 11.2kg....which Imthink is decent for a full suspension bike (Scott Spark 910).

All the cycles shops said I can easily throw off an extra few grams by changing the wheelset / handlebar and seatpost???

What would you guys recommend if I want to drop a few kg's or grams??? I know I must leave out the beer and drop a few KG's myself but I'm busy with that ;-)

Your help and advice will be highly appreciated.

Cheers

On any bike, and particularly a 29, the most important place to loose weight is on your wheels.

Tyres/rims are the more important than hubs. (rotating weight)

this will aid acceleration etc.

Moving to lighter tires is the easiest and cheapest way, but there is a compromise, as lighter tyres are not as robust. It's a risk many people are ready to take,

some win, and some walk home.

What Giant said, wheels should be your first focus. Handlebar, stem and seatpost to some nice light carbon and pop another 350 to 400grms going 1x10

Go check the "Show us your weight weenie" thread to see my 1x10 setup on my Giant XTC and the wheelset I will swear by is the best value for money currently on the market

Cheers and enjoy, just don't get so obsessed with dropping weight on your bike (like me :-) it gets EXPENSIVE lol

Edited by BrandonF

Nothing wrong with 11.2 kg. You will find that you are at the thin end of the wedge already and every 10g you shed on the bike will cost progressively more.

I agree with advice on tyres and wheels. Tyres are the cheapest if your existing ones are heavy. E.g. my 29 Ust ardents are over 900g each but bullet proof. Changing them to Spez ground controls will lose about 500g for under R1000. A carbon wheelset upgrade will save about 300 to 400g but costs R15k to R30k depending. Another biggie is the dropper post....these are much heavier than a good alloy or carbon fixed post but after riding a dropper do you want to go backwards?

Pedals and Cranks are prob the next biggest weight drop but gonna cost you upwards of R10k to save about 200g here.

If your bike is 2x10 or 3x10 then changing to 1 x10 or 1x11 will eliminate the FD, cable, shifter and chainring/s but you will also lose some gearing range. Stronger riders tolerate this easier than the rest.

Edited by JXV

If you drop 2kg it will cost you nothing look at you"re combined weight ,bicycle and rider with helmet and bottles

I agree with dropping weight, but I promise you, a 100kg guy will be faster on a lighter bike, especially when it comes to lighter wheels, accelaration, handling, and overall feel of the bike will change dramatically which in turn gives confidence of your ability and a little nudge to push even harder

I agree with dropping weight, but I promise you, a 100kg guy will be faster on a lighter bike, especially when it comes to lighter wheels, accelaration, handling, and overall feel of the bike will change dramatically which in turn gives confidence of your ability and a little nudge to push even harder

I dunno hey. I would say rather lose some weight on the rider (if possible obviously). My biggest performance gains have come from losing weight myself and bettering my skills and overall fitness, strength etc.

Yes a lighter bike will give you a mental believe that you should be faster but once your legs are tired that believe or feeling will dissipate rapidly.

I can say this from personal experience ;)

What Giant said, wheels should be your first focus. Handlebar, stem and seatpost to some nice light carbon and pop another 350 to 400grms going 1x10

Go check the "Show us your weight weenie" thread to see my 1x10 setup on my Giant XTC and the wheelset I will swear by is the best value for money currently on the market

Cheers and enjoy, just don't get so obsessed with dropping weight on your bike (like me :-) it gets EXPENSIVE lol

Brandon what wheelset are you running on the Giant? Sorry too lazy to search the weight weenie thread...

Brandon what wheelset are you running on the Giant? Sorry too lazy to search the weight weenie thread...

I have the American Classic Wide Lightning, 1560grms 32mm wide, super stiff and strong, and been running true since I got them 9months ago

I have the American Classic Wide Lightning, 1560grms 32mm wide, super stiff and strong, and been running true since I got them 9months ago

Everyone I know that had a set of these destroyed them. They are light I wont lie, but if you are hard on your equipment or weigh more than your avg race snake I wouldn't consider these.

100kg guy on a bike that weighs 500 grams less?? i call bullpoo

Thanks, I am currently looking for something at the moment. I currently run the easton 360's but they weigh in at 2kg's for the set. I would like the new Mavic SL's but I may need a more affordable option.

100kg guy on a bike that weighs 500 grams less?? i call bullpoo

No probs bro, your conviction vs my experience, we're both winners. Have a lekke weekend of riding ;-)

Wheels and you (my next book title :ph34r: ) The biggest weightloss upgrades. Carefull about skimping too much on the tires, there's a fine line between superlight and super-risky.

I agree, Wheels and you. The amount you going to save on changing your post and bars are not worth the price tag - you are talking grams. Change your rims, drop some weight, and carry only the essentials when you ride. (1litre of water equals 1kg of weight).