Dirt roads from Somerset-West to Jonkers/Stellenbosch?

clauderoux

You missing the point, he is not here all the time. It does not make sense paying the annual fee and then only use the trails for the time he is here.

as he said membership vs day pass

The wannabees have done LOTS (!) for cycling in our area. Heck in the one park they made an entire track that is awesome but for short little skill rides and fun for the kids. Just for that I joined them, give them my money to help maintain that.

Its only R150 for a membership after 1 July. Therefore if you ride 5 times in Dec thats only R30 buck a roo's a ride. But lets me honest, on holiday gonna be out on the bike at least 9/14 days so its even more of a deal.

Get it done!

makes sense, and it is only R150 :)

Hasn't there been security issues on the road Slowbee. Also I don't mind paying, but not annual fees for a 2 week stay.

not on the section between somerset west and stellenbosch.

heading out of stellenbosch is more of an issue, especially through the kayamandi area which takes you to bottelray road. Also up helshoegte. have not heard much about goings carrying on along the r44 towards the n1.

Other hubbers will know more.

Its only R150 for a membership after 1 July. Therefore if you ride 5 times in Dec thats only R30 buck a roo's a ride. But lets me honest, on holiday gonna be out on the bike at least 9/14 days so its even more of a deal.

Get it done!

R150 not too bad. I'll have to check it out. Wish Tygerburg MBC would do a cheaper option. I asked a year or 2 ago and got no joy. Wasn't going to pay their club fees for a year. I eventually ended up riding Bottelary Hills.

R150 not too bad. I'll have to check it out. Wish Tygerburg MBC would do a cheaper option. I asked a year or 2 ago and got no joy. Wasn't going to pay their club fees for a year. I eventually ended up riding Bottelary Hills.

To be honest I am going to try ride as wide a variety of trails in December myself, Rheebokskloof, Tygerberg, Bootelary etc Try and see whats out there..

To be honest I am going to try ride as wide a variety of trails in December myself, Rheebokskloof, Tygerberg, Bootelary etc Try and see whats out there..

Ive been a member of Bottelary Hills for 3 years now and I must say those guys are awesome. Constant upgrades and maintenance. I pay my membership with a smile!

Also, it helps that I live 5km from Zevenwacht entry point :-)

You can get a day pass from the BP at the Lord Charles, then head off through the farms. Other than that there are no other public gravel roads.

According to my knowledge You can not get a day pass from the BP anymore but you can get it from all the local bike shops as well as Somerbosch

According to my knowledge You can not get a day pass from the BP anymore but you can get it from all the local bike shops as well as Somerbosch

You can get a day pass at all the bike shop inS/West and also Sommerbosch Wines. Pedalworxs bike shop has the maps displayed at their shop. 80 % on dirt roads. You also join the club rides from Lord Charles hotel parking at 7am Sat and Sun with your day pass.

Hi guys,

I hope you don't mind me chirping in.

I have just booked a flight to Capetown, will be spending the first week of October in Stellenbosh/Somerset area.

I have considered hiring a road/ mountain bike for the duration of my stay to experience the Western Cape in all its glory. Being from Gauteng and using a SS to commute every day - I thought this would be a fun experience. I have decided to use ww.irideafrica.com to rent a bike.

This post caught my attention and I have gathered the following questions for you guys:

-Is it safe to travel by bicycle in these areas? (Roads safe i.t.o traffic?)

-Will I get mugged or murdered for the few worthless belongings I own? Which areas should I rather avoid?

-Any recommendations on sight seeing/ roads to use?

And finally,should I hire a MTB (to travel offroad) or road bike to travel longer distances and in cities?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Will also post the matters in this regard on a different subject.

as he said membership vs day pass

The wannabees have done LOTS (!) for cycling in our area. Heck in the one park they made an entire track that is awesome but for short little skill rides and fun for the kids. Just for that I joined them, give them my money to help maintain that.

makes sense, and it is only R150 :)

I agree, I'm a paid up member even though I seldom get the chance to ride their routes.