Rand Water Race for Victory

bmw1za

I had a chat with the CSA officials on Friday when I collected my race pack, about the seeding. They gave me a list of the races used and explained why the following races weren't used:

Argus, 94.7, Ride for Sight, Carnival City

The numbers in this race (R4V) was almost the size of 2-3 batches at the Argus and 94.7 and 4-5 batches for the others.

That cant be right. If I look at my results I see that in the 94.7 the C batch had 300 riders. Argus 540 riders and this R4V only had 128 (B Batch).

Edited by Hennie VR

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That cant be right. If I look at my results I see that in the 94.7 the C batch had 300 riders. Argus 540 riders and this R4V only had 128 (B Batch).

The entire field for the 110km route was less than 1000

Well done to the organisers for an awesome event. The chocolate milk, ice-cream etc. at the end was fantastic!

It’s great to get a t-shirt and also know that the entry fee goes to a good cause! My understanding is that most of the costs of this race are covered by sponsors and the funds raised all goes directly to the school.

Seeding was a total stuffup. I was the rider with the EL number riding in the BL bunch :ph34r:

I emailed the race director with my seeding query and se forwarded my query with all my previous results to Jill and asked if they can help me with a re-seeding. She never even replied. On race day I tried to get hold of her again but was told that she left.

Not a lot of BL guys wanted to share the work after the front few guys got away. Luckily the pace picked up when the fast guys in CL caught up with us. Some guy took a huge tumble right in front of me as we entered the dirt road at the end and from there it was all catch-up. Still happy with the result though.

I was wondering who was doing the seeding protest!

I was also in BL (one of the guys not doing much work :whistling: ). In my defence I was barely hanging on for the first 30k and my legs only came back to me right near the end. Went for a blast through the dirt section but was caught in the last 1.5k.

Super event and massive congratulations to the organisers on getting things right :thumbup:

Thanks to all the race organisers... what an awesome ride and so well organised.  Best part is to reach the finish and be greeted by all these people giving out not just water/coke but ice cream, milkshakes, ice tea and all other drinks...  :clap:  goodness, my pockets were loaded!!! 

Only had one bad experience on the road and that was that one of the marshals on his bike in trying to force the cyclist to stay on the left of the lane just stopped dead on the white centre line with his bike... please don't do this... I understand that you are trying to ensure our safety but we were travelling at an average of over 35kph and the bunches are big and I can't see what is in front of me besides cyclist and i was just slightly on the white line and me and my buddies only saw you at the last minute when you just stopped your bike in front of us, so we could have ploughed into you .... we narrowly missed hitting you by inches as we had to swerve .. thankfully we did not bring any cyclist on the left down.   Apparently this particular marshal did this several times from what other cyclist told me .... 

but otherwise thanks everyone for a great time and to the last 3 Choc Cow ladies that crossed the line just after 3pm... you guys are heroes!!!!  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  glad we could be there to welcome you home even when everyone had left already! and to all the paramedics and marshals that followed you right to the line ... :thumbup: thumbs up

I started in BL, a break of 7 went on the first hill and stayed with the rest of B. Front bunch of C caught us around the 50km mark and we stayed like that till the end. We caught plenty of A group guys, clearly seeding is messed up for the race. Other than that, I finished 14th in BL and managed to take off 42mins from last year's time. Good day out on the bike.......

Yip, Same for me.

Started in B, those 7/8 guys disappeared over the Walkerville Drag, we then regrouped and pulled nicely along until the C bunch came hooning past! We then caught the Elite ladies who weren't very happy about us passing!

Then they attacked to break us...LOL

Bradley, one of the guys who was working Hard in the B Bunch, Orange kit, felt very badly as we hit the Gravel section, missed riding over him by centimeters with some other guys, than I saw him at the finish. Kudo's buddy....

Also, a very strong lady in the B bunch who was wearing a luminous Yellow Poncho fell badly on the last bridge before the zig-zag route through the local town. Hope she is OK!

Finished with a 3:03 and really loved the race, the route, the organisation and overall vibe!

Super M, Coke, Water and Ice-Cream with your medal was super awesome!

Will support this race no matter what!

B bunch was awesome & just missed the Sub 3...

Edited by AryM

Last year the wind blew so hard I would rather have ridden into a hurricane. Good luck. I aint doing it again. But you never know, maybe the wind wont blow!

Finished with a time of 03H17..........puncture 3km before finish line just after gravel section, sorted it out but managed to pinch second tube, had to into install my last tube.  Not a great finish but this was a well organised and fast race

Started in H today and gave it stick from the start.

Got in a group of 4 and we worked together.

Great ride , weather was good and eventuly the legs

said enough with 20km to go.

It was nice to see lots of people being motivated by those coming by.

Where you wearing Garmin kit?

So those with the experience from previous years... how does your time for Rand water race compare to your time for cycle challenge? does a 3h00 R4V correlate to a 3h00 cycle challenge?

Obviously provided you keep your training up

Awesome event.

So who all punctured on that last sand section??

Worked my ass off in the front and was in breakaway (5km to go board) just before that last sand section and got rewarded with a puncture.  

Awesome event and awesome conditions for racing. Was lined up for a 3:03.

Had awesome camaraderie out on the road with guys working together like a well oiled machine.

Edited by Dubber88

So those with the experience from previous years... how does your time for Rand water race compare to your time for cycle challenge? does a 3h00 R4V correlate to a 3h00 cycle challenge?

Obviously provided you keep your training up

Well, last year the wind pumped at R4V. I did a 3:09 but came in 18th in A batch. Then I did a 2:35 94.7.

This year however conditions were fantastic for R4V and I did a 2h59, BUT came in 40th in A batch. It's also important to note the the 94.7 route has changed, so nobody knows what the new route will be like time wise.

Taking all this into consideration I would suggest we worry less and ride more  :thumbup: 

Edited by MaxUmis

Raced from the BL group...

Got a rush of blood when the other BL guys caught us and tried to break the bunch on an uphill and try and catch the next group... Blew the legs but managed to get 2 ladies and worked hard for them to get them back into the BL group. Worked well in the BL group and shed some slower riders who didn't want to contribute. Thanks to the other 4 guys who shared the workload upfront (I was the cyclist in the black PSG/ASG kit)

Once the CL guys caught us, we managed to pick up the pace... Dirt road at the end was fun and fast... Held me breath the whole section not to come down...

Sprinted to the finish for a respectable 3:10

Good event and awesome after race treats!!!

Well done organizers!!!!

its dependent on alot of factors, my first race ever was 94.7 in 2011 and did a 3;28, then did R4V in 2012 in 3:29

last year 94.7 i did a 2:52, and even though i punctured twice yesterday i was off the pace for a sub3 so i think its hard to compare....

as Max says.... worry less, ride more :) 

Yip, Same for me.

Started in B, those 7/8 guys disappeared over the Walkerville Drag, we then regrouped and pulled nicely along until the C bunch came hooning past! We then caught the Elite ladies who weren't very happy about us passing!

Then they attacked to break us...LOL

Bradley, one of the guys who was working Hard in the B Bunch, Orange kit, felt very badly as we hit the Gravel section, missed riding over him by centimeters with some other guys, than I saw him at the finish. Kudo's buddy....

Also, a very strong lady in the B bunch who was wearing a luminous Yellow Poncho fell badly on the last bridge before the zig-zag route through the local town. Hope she is OK!

Finished with a 3:03 and really loved the race, the route, the organisation and overall vibe!

Super M, Coke, Water and Ice-Cream with your medal was super awesome!

Will support this race no matter what!

B bunch was awesome & just missed the Sub 3...

I was the guy in the black craft kit and in the last 10kms only a few guys wanted to work. I cant complain about anything as it was one of my best results. Hard work does pay off

I was in the same bunch as you (red/white Grenade kit) and stopped to help the lady when she went down as it looked really bad. Fortunately, she was ok (just a bit stunned) but the front of her bike was totalled. I finished a few minutes behind the rest of the bunch.