Prepping for a race (n00b Alert)

karnuffel

Hi guys,

So I entered for the 80KM event in the Springbok Plant Hire Heritage day challenge.  I have been training hard and Ive done a couple of group rides.  I am not looking to do an awesome time, I just want to finish  :blush:  The furthest Ive cycled is 60KM and I felt quite good afterwards, not too sore and tired.

Now the question is how do I prepare for the actual race?  When should I start resting?  What should I take to drink on the route?  Just water or some race mix?  Should I try Gu?  

I am planning to start slowish an I would like to keep an average of 20KM/h.  Any other tips?  Im scared :wacko: 

Edit: Another question, what should I check on my bike?  Type pressure, chain lube  and breaks?  What else?  

Edited by jouda

I usually don't train hard for a week before a race.

Stop cycling 3 days before the event and the day before the event I usually do a VERY VERY easy 1h ride.

If you plan on averaging 20km/h that means you will be in the saddle for about 4h. I would suggest you ride with a energy drink and not just water. I would also suggest you take a energy bar or two or even a banana. (I try and eat every hour I'm on the bike)

Good luck and enjoy the ride :thumbup:

I usually see the races as just another training ride.  Just do the same and ride on your own time. 

Don't overdo it in the beginning to try and stay with the better riders.  When you go at a steady pace, you will eventually find a nice group to ride with (or a single cyclist) or you will catch some of the other riders from behind.

Thanks for the replies :)  I have 2 16G bombs, adapter and a spare tube in the saddlebag.

Ill try and relax and enjoy the ride.

Always enjoy the rides!!! :thumbup:

Hi guys,

So I entered for the 80KM event in the Springbok Plant Hire Heritage day challenge.  I have been training hard and Ive done a couple of group rides.  I am not looking to do an awesome time, I just want to finish  :blush:  The furthest Ive cycled is 60KM and I felt quite good afterwards, not too sore and tired.

Now the question is how do I prepare for the actual race?  When should I start resting?  What should I take to drink on the route?  Just water or some race mix?  Should I try Gu?  

I am planning to start slowish an I would like to keep an average of 20KM/h.  Any other tips?  Im scared :wacko: 

Edit: Another question, what should I check on my bike?  Type pressure, chain lube  and breaks?  What else?  

practice walking down single track :whistling:

if you can ave 20km an hour in the dirt thats really good, maybe reset ur sites on 16km, this should put u in the saddle for 4 to 5 hours.

Just enjoy it, try pickup the hot chicks at the water tables etc..

Take snacks!
I always have some non licorice All Sorts and some biltong.  I also use 32GI to drink - works well for me. 

The Stonehaven races are fantastic - nice and flat, and with a variety of riders so it won't just be you going for your longest distance to date. All I can add to the above is drink small amounts pretty regularly - you don't want to overdo it so you feel full, but I generally bonk due to lack of fluid rather than lack of food. Otherwise, as everyone else has said, just enjoy :) (and go for the breakfast buffet after....well worth the slightly slow service at the venue!) :)

Just cycle, as is your first dont push yourself with the race snakes, go at your own pace and enjoy the vibe.  If you can do 60kms, you can do 80kms.

Prepare and pack everything the night before and leave with plenty of time, better to be prepared and there early rather than rushing, worried and forgotten something... you will enjoy the race more if you are relaxed at the start.

Two Banana's in your camel pack.Energy drink in the water bottle.Dates or mixed nuts in your back pocket.Pack the night before and eat some carbs before the race..I usually get hungry by the end of a race before I actually get tired. Keep an eye on your computer to know how far it is till the end..