Advice: Transforming a road bike to a urban commuter bike

I_Cycle_Jozi

Hi Hubbers

I have been commuting for years now, started commuting to Wits from Crosby/Brixton. Now I commute to work which is in Forest Town. I use to use my MTB but now with work clothes I feel my MTB is not suitable anymore  :huh: so I started using my road bike which is an old Trek 1000.

post-18378-0-14431300-1411036055_thumb.jpg

I am thinking of transforming this bike into an urban/commuter bike. I know enough about bikes to do some of the changes, but I am looking for some advice. This is what I am thinking of doing:

• Change handlebars to a flat-bar (those really narrow ones)
  • Change brake and gear levers (I want to keep my gears, I need them  :mellow:)
  • Change tyres to cyclocross or something with more grip, but keep my road bike rims - possible? 
  • Chain cover - save my work pants from awesome grease marks
  • Seat, something that suits the bike more.

That's about it. Has anyone done something like this? I want to spend minimal so keep that in mind. 

Edited by M.Suleman

CycloX tires would do well on there, and make a huge difference to the overall commute / feeling / safety aspect (tire strength & handling in the wet)

I'd go for flat bars, and get some MTB shifters / A mtb shifter. You only need one chainring, and you'll probably do better with one cog at the back as well! You'll certainly get fitter, faster, whn SSing it. 

Brakes - get some short lever BMX type levers, and slap them on there. Toy with only getting one for the back wheel, so you can look like a hipster and do skid-stops all the time. 

In the end though - have FUN!!!

I am thinking of transforming this bike into an urban/commuter bike. I know enough about bikes to do some of the changes, but I am looking for some advice. This is what I am thinking of doing:

• Change handlebars to a flat-bar (those really narrow ones) Go flat/riser but not too narrow, it gets hard to pull on the handlebars while going uphill/over a curb etc
  • Change brake and gear levers (I want to keep my gears, I need them  :mellow:) Get BMX levers with mtb shifter for the back and only 1 blade in the front
  • Change tyres to cyclocross or something with more grip, but keep my road bike rims - possible? Yes cyclocross tyres, more grip in wet and off road should you meet a taxi along the way
  • Chain cover - save my work pants from awesome grease marks Commute in shorts with work pants either at the office or in a backpack, shorts will keep you cooler thus less sweating
  • Seat, something that suits the bike more. Get a comfy seat, this is a commuter not a racer... For now

CycloX tires would do well on there, and make a huge difference to the overall commute / feeling / safety aspect (tire strength & handling in the wet)

I'd go for flat bars, and get some MTB shifters / A mtb shifter. You only need one chainring, and you'll probably do better with one cog at the back as well! You'll certainly get fitter, faster, whn SSing it. 

Brakes - get some short lever BMX type levers, and slap them on there. Toy with only getting one for the back wheel, so you can look like a hipster and do skid-stops all the time. 

In the end though - have FUN!!!

Thanks for that. I am not sure about the single speed stuff though, maybe in time.. Right now, I need them gears going up that witwatersrand ridge! Maybe I will go for just one chainring in the front, that sounds like a good idea.

I like the one brake idea, and the bmx levers will be a good choice indeed.  

I look forward to starting this thing!

I have done this and posted about it. Here is my thread:

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/115904-convert-road-bike-to-commuterhybrid/

Gummibear did the same thing. Search for his post in my thread for some other info.

Good luck. It's so lekka to breathe new life into an old bike!

Thanks! Just read that entire thread of yours! Wow, got me all excited, realy excited to start, definitely going to go for a single chainwheel at the front. Looks sick, and I hardly use the other one. 

Will start getting the parts for it over the next few weeks.

That Trek of yours looks absolutely stunning!

• Change handlebars to a flat-bar (those really narrow ones) Go flat/riser but not too narrow, it gets hard to pull on the handlebars while going uphill/over a curb etc
  • Change brake and gear levers (I want to keep my gears, I need them  :mellow:) Get BMX levers with mtb shifter for the back and only 1 blade in the front
  • Change tyres to cyclocross or something with more grip, but keep my road bike rims - possible? Yes cyclocross tyres, more grip in wet and off road should you meet a taxi along the way
  • Chain cover - save my work pants from awesome grease marks Commute in shorts with work pants either at the office or in a backpack, shorts will keep you cooler thus less sweating
  • Seat, something that suits the bike more. Get a comfy seat, this is a commuter not a racer... For now

Thanks! Yeah, I wore my MTB shorts today and changed at work, does feel better. Will follow those instructions closely, think I have an overall idea of what I want to do now

cross tyres wont fit with caliper brakes.

I read something to this effect as well. What other options are there besides cross tyres? Something with much grip and comfort?

Fit MTB v-brakes, not sure if/how these will fit on the frame though.

http://www.ridleys.com/images/library/large/shim_xt_vbrake_09_m.jpg

Fit MTB v-brakes, not sure if/how these will fit on the frame though.

http://www.ridleys.com/images/library/large/shim_xt_vbrake_09_m.jpg

Changing the brakes set is just adding costs. I am looking for the simple way out. 

Those would look nice though. Sponsor bro?