Garmin Edge 1000

RMmtb8r

Just like CTD, I also have one - and it truly is amazing. I went from an Edge 500, to the 810, which was quite amazing, and now the Edge 1000. The difference is just as pronounced.

The touch screen is amazing - works in the rain and with gloves on. The access to info is impressive, and setup is so much easier. A nice touch is getting notifications from your phone on the device. As usual, the actual GPS stuff is top notch, and the new pickupless speed and cadence sensors are quite nice, and make transfer between bikes quite simple.

Concerning the bike profiles, this is what Garmin has to say:

• Added activity profile totals, which includes total distance, time, calories, and number of rides. If you miss the bike profile odometer feature, you can track totals by creating activity profiles for each bike.

That notification link to your phone is VERY handy !

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am trying to decde between die 810 and 1000. It is not only the notofication . I only ride mtb. 

I think the hole concept of the 1000 is just that more ncoer than the 810, but 3k is still a lot of money

Am assuming SA import duties nail us on Garmins.

UK prices on the Edge1000 Full Performance Bundle = R6800 or R8082 if you pay UK tax.

Im considering getting a edge 1000 from overseas......there are a couple of UK cycle shops that will ship a garmin to SA (checked with them already)...and bought from them before.....works out to about 6.5k (shipping is free)...then obviously duties to be paid

I am trying to decde between die 810 and 1000. It is not only the notofication . I only ride mtb. 

I think the hole concept of the 1000 is just that more ncoer than the 810, but 3k is still a lot of money

I mainly ride MTB and you will very seldomly find me on the road and I can definitely reccomend the 810. Before I was using the old edge 705 and that was also great but the 810 is an absolute pleasure to use.

I use free open source maps and they work perfectly, read http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/05/download-garmin-705800810.html 

The edge 1000 does look great but you just have to sum up whether those few added extras are worth the cash.

You would think that Garmin could at least add the ability to add laps to a ride in GarminConnect. The devices are ok but the data analysis is pathetic. IMO of course.

Where do you get a simple bike computer that will measure total ascent and descent as well without all the other fancy stuff?

Nearly R3,000 to see who's texting me while I ride, its a cool function but not worth the extra cash IMHO. Think i'll stick to my 810.

Why would you want to see who is texting you while you ride?  I ride to get away from computers and stuff...

Where do you get a simple bike computer that will measure total ascent and descent as well without all the other fancy stuff?

Garmin Edge 200???

Why would you want to see who is texting you while you ride? I ride to get away from computers and stuff...

Agreed, I think most of us ride to get away from that stuff in some way or another but knowing who is texting or calling you could be beneficial to some. If there's a family emergency and people are trying to get hold of me I would feel like a proper ass for avoiding calls because I was enjoying my alone time on my bike.

Different strokes for different blokes I guess but for me, that would be the only feature I would like over the 810 and IMO it's not a R3000 feature;)

+1 on the edge 200, the bryton rider 20+ also looks like a pretty good option. I used my smart phone for a year before I bought a GPS and it did the job just fine. there's loads of apps like endomondo, strava and map my ride that do the trick :)

+1 on the edge 200, the bryton rider 20+ also looks like a pretty good option. I used my smart phone for a year before I bought a GPS and it did the job just fine. there's loads of apps like endomondo, strava and map my ride that do the trick :)