Garmin Edge 1000

RMmtb8r

Thanks I prefer to keep my cell phone away from the handlebar area and like to preserve its battery life. I will look up the 2 GPS models you mentioned

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed, I think most of us ride to get away from that stuff in some way or another but knowing who is texting or calling you could be beneficial to some. If there's a family emergency and people are trying to get hold of me I would feel like a proper ass for avoiding calls because I was enjoying my alone time on my bike.

Different strokes for different blokes I guess but for me, that would be the only feature I would like over the 810 and IMO it's not a R3000 feature;)

I always have my phone with me. But I will not answer it the first time it rings, but if it rings a second or third time, I will answer it.  Then it's probably an emergency.

• 2 weeks later...

Discovered a cool feature (or an annoying irritation) the other day. Garmin also have the idea of segments, and if you cross a segment, it automatically starts pacing you against your best segment time, showing how far off the pace you are, and how much distance is left.

Just another way an LSD ride can be turned into a "bleed from the eyeballs" PB hunting exercise, if you're that way inclined.

• 2 weeks later...

Discovered a cool feature (or an annoying irritation) the other day. Garmin also have the idea of segments, and if you cross a segment, it automatically starts pacing you against your best segment time, showing how far off the pace you are, and how much distance is left.

Just another way an LSD ride can be turned into a "bleed from the eyeballs" PB hunting exercise, if you're that way inclined.

How do I activate that? Is it all models, I have a 510.

• 3 weeks later...

No need to acrivate anything, when you ride over a previous recorded segment it records your time and then you can compare it on garmin connect to other cyclist's!

Any idea where I can get a good deal on the 510 bundle? Certainly not Garmin SA as they're almost a grand more than the shops.

• 1 month later...

I am getting around 8-10 hours life out if it. 

Running HR, Power and speed sensor.  Backlight about 30% and lots of night riding which makes for black on white face that gives you less battery life.

Slight hi-jack,

My 800 has given up, so now stuck between the 810 and 1000.

I did have a chat with one of the reps and they recommend I look at a Mio 505 HC which does everything the 1000 does and more. Ok there are a few niggles like no lap feature and power balance etc but that appears to be coming in an update and they seem to be very open to suggestions of adding features.

Some of the bonus features: answer/ignore calls, control ant+ trainers, contol your phone playing mp3's, you can share planned rides from one device to another, you can join a route at its closest point, view route profiles on the device as well as upcoming climbs,

Oh and does have Bluetooth, WiFI, Di2 support.

And only costs R6 170.00

Trying to get a demo unit to test drive and see how compatible it is with training on power and training peaks, etc.

Edited by Spoke101

How is the battery life on the 1000, i saw many unhappy people on dc rainmaker site?

Best I've had is 12 hours, but generally it seems to be around 10% an hour. That's with bluetooth on.

While not ideal for monster rides, I still love the 1000 for everyday use. I use my old Edge 500 for anything up to 17 hours, although it feels like I've stepped back in time with a very simple and archaic device.

I've discovered a new feature - I use the 1000 as a guide to my position on the bike. If I can see my reflection I know I am quite aero. I also get to see the snot and sweat dripping off my face, validating that the pain I'm feeling is real.

Installed the Beta Software 2.57 yesterday.  Ride out this morning and all seems normal.

You can now have the screen horizontal which is cool.