MTB: New chain slipping and jumping off

clyde79

I have recently replaced my chain as the previous one had worn to just over 0.5% (measured with a vernier so hopefully I got it right). This was my first chain replacement (the bike was new) and I didn't replace the cassette or chainrings as they did not appear to be sufficiently worn. I'm unsure of total mileage but it was probably about 2500-3000k.

Almost immediately when putting down some power the chain slips and often jumps off. I have since cleaned off the factory grease and lubricated with the oil I normally use but the problem is just as bad. I can't say exactly where this is happening but I think it is the bigger chainring because the problem does not happen when I am on the smaller ring.

Could the larger chain ring be too worn with so little mileage? It really does not look bad (the teeth are a little flattened from riding over rocks, etc but their shape still looks good) and none of the teeth appear to be bent.

Components:

Chainring: Shimano XT FC-M785 28-40T (2x10)

New chain: Shimano XT HG-X 10 speed

Cassette: Shimano XT 10 speed (not sure of ratios)

Has any-one experienced something similar?

seems like parts these days are made of butter, I'll just ride mine into the ground and then replace everything again, no point in doing so every 3000km, but ja it seems like either your chainrings or cassette is moertoe 

Did you replace the cassette / chain rings as well? They wear together. Some chains are meant to be run in a certain direction as well.

Edited by Jacquers

I had the same problem, ended up having to swap out the chain rings and cassette. The chain rings and cassette pick up memory from your old chain so even though it doesn't look worn its worn to the shape of your old stretched chain.

seems like parts these days are made of butter, I'll just ride mine into the ground and then replace everything again, no point in doing so every 3000km, but ja it seems like either your chainrings or cassette is moertoe 

Yeah, it seems like it. I don't think I'll be buying XT again, it just does not seem worth it :(

Did you replace the cassette / chain rings as well? They wear together. Some chains are meant to be run in a certain direction as well.

Nope, just the chain. I think it is the road chains that are specific, not the MTB ones. I had better check this though.

I had the same problem, ended up having to swap out the chain rings and cassette. The chain rings and cassette pick up memory from your old chain so even though it doesn't look worn its worn to the shape of your old stretched chain.

Yeah, I thought you should be able to get in at least 2 chains per cassette and more for the chainrings.

I think going forward, when I replace everything, I am going to rotate between 2 or 3 chains every ride.

Replace chain ring.......had similar problem and replaced big chain ring. Also.did some fine tuning on RD.......running smooth again with no problem (Sram X0).

PS: The cheaper lower level models (and heavier) are sometimes the way to go......lasts longer and easier on the wallet. Chains are one of those components.

Edited by BarHugger

3000k's seems a bit too long to replace the chain...the normal wear indicator is 1/16th of an inch..ok to replace...1/8th of an inch...might have problems when replacing chain only...

how did you come up with 0.05% wear....the rule of thumb is to measure 12 links with a steel rule and a new chain should measure 12in

3000k's seems a bit too long to replace the chain...the normal wear indicator is 1/16th of an inch..ok to replace...1/8th of an inch...might have problems when replacing chain only...

how did you come up with 0.05% wear....the rule of thumb is to measure 12 links with a steel rule and a new chain should measure 12in

Perhaps I did leave it too long.

My apologies, I should have converted to standard metrics. I had simply measured and calculated my chain's average wear because I didn't have a steel ruler that was long enough. I had to use my vernier and measure fewer links.

an increase 1/16th of an inch over 12 inches is ~0.52%

and 1/8th of an inch over 12 inches is ~1.03% 

Edited by clyde79

I have recently replaced my chain as the previous one had worn to just over 0.5% (measured with a vernier so hopefully I got it right). This was my first chain replacement (the bike was new) and I didn't replace the cassette or chainrings as they did not appear to be sufficiently worn. I'm unsure of total mileage but it was probably about 2500-3000k.

Almost immediately when putting down some power the chain slips and often jumps off. I have since cleaned off the factory grease and lubricated with the oil I normally use but the problem is just as bad. I can't say exactly where this is happening but I think it is the bigger chainring because the problem does not happen when I am on the smaller ring.

Could the larger chain ring be too worn with so little mileage? It really does not look bad (the teeth are a little flattened from riding over rocks, etc but their shape still looks good) and none of the teeth appear to be bent.

Components:

Chainring: Shimano XT FC-M785 28-40T (2x10)

New chain: Shimano XT HG-X 10 speed

Cassette: Shimano XT 10 speed (not sure of ratios)

Has any-one experienced something similar?

I use a ParkTool Chain Checker, as pictured below, and I have not had a chain last longer than 1500km in the last 8 years of cycling.  My cassettes usually last 3 chains, and when I still used 3x9 my chainrings lasted about 10 000km.  

A chain can easily last longer than the 1500km I have mentioned, but in my case it wears too far which means that the cassette needs to be replaced as well.

http://www.biketiresdirect.com/productimages/images450/ptpcc1-1.jpg

Edited by Brian Fantana

Perhaps I did leave it too long.

My apologies, I should have converted to standard metrics. I had simply measured and calculated my chain's average wear because I didn't have a steel ruler that was long enough. I had to use my vernier and measure fewer links.

an increase 1/16th of an inch over 12 inches is ~0.52%

and 1/8th of an inch over 12 inches is ~1.03% 

sometimes luck of the draw...my last groupset i replaced the chain somewhere between 16th and 8th wear...and the first ride it slipped and skipped but after a few k's it nestled in and lasted another 2000 odd km's

I use a ParkTool Chain Checker, as pictured below, and I have not had a chain last longer than 1500km in the last 8 years of cycling.  My cassettes usually last 3 chains, and when I still used 3x9 my chainrings lasted about 10 000km.  

A chain can easily last longer than the 1500km I have mentioned, but in my case it wears too far which means that the cassette needs to be replaced as well.

http://www.biketiresdirect.com/productimages/images450/ptpcc1-1.jpg

Thanks. So about 5000km for cassette and 10000km for chainrings.

In terms of the ParkTool, where do you usually replace your chain, at about 0.5? 

Thanks. So about 5000km for cassette and 10000km for chainrings.

In terms of the ParkTool, where do you usually replace your chain, at about 0.5? 

Remember that with 2x10 or 1x11/10 drivetrains will have different chainring lifetimes, so these need to be inspected visually for wear.

ParkTool recommends chain replacement at 0.75.  I have pushed it a little further than that without problems, but you need to be careful.  The difference between a usable and ruined cassette driven by a chain at the end of its life, can be one single ride.