Interval sessions, where in Joburg

Chopper Jr

Hi all,

I'm out on the hunt for roads in and around greater Johannesburg that are good for intervals. The majority of my training is done according to power and time. It's a lot easier to control these sessions on a Wattbike or similar as opposed to being outdoors. It's also easier to manage the power requirements on a mountain bike as opposed to a road bike. But outdoors is better than a trainer and I dont have a power meter on my MTB.

Anyway, the longer intervals are harder to find i.e. 10 min. So I was hoping someone could share some additional options.

I have only one section that I do my 10 min interval (average 330 watts) on which is on Modderfontein Road. http://www.strava.com/segments/8194677

A good interval section has no stop streets or traffic lights and a decent gradient.

I thought Woodmead Drive from Jukskei River up to Maxwell Drive might be an option - two traffic lights though.

https://www.google.co.za/maps/dir/-26.0054513,28.0781765/-26.042727,28.0908137/@-26.0058948,28.0730695,15z/data=!4m3!4m2!1m0!1m0?hl=en'

Suikerbosrand has some serious climbs and the back of Krugersdorp climb is also great for longer uninterrupted intervals but is too far away in the week. Hekpoort also good!

So share away!

Cheers,

Rob

I am also interested, I seem to run out of road on a 10 min interval. and it gets very frustrating having to stop or even pause on the interval.

Seems JHB is 10min less for intervals

The Track in Wemmer pan

Gets a bit boring going round and round and round but its safe and no cars to take you out and beats an IDT.

Where exactly is this track?

The Track in Wemmer pan

Gets a bit boring going round and round and round but its safe and no cars to take you out and beats an IDT.

This would be flat though? Need gradient for resistance.

van der Bijl ave from Rivonia Rd to Maxwell. Steady low gradient drag with nice wide shoulder

This is a good section but only 2km long with a good gradient, so maybe a 5min interval...

Going to try this segment tomorrow morning in Bryanston... just got to cross Bryanston Drive though. Middle section is flat... but steep (9%) in parts.

http://www.strava.com/segments/8121327

Grovener and bryanston are quite busy, quite a few speed bumps too and quite narrow in places.

Also crossing St james crescent is a bit hairy as cars take chances, I tried that and didn't like it.