Cape Argus Pick n Pay Momentum Cycle Tour officially renamed the Cape Town Cycle Tour

News bot

I wonder whats really behind this decision - I am suspicious of the spin doctoring.

Why on earth would they re-brand a race name which is internationally iconic?

You just can't say: "hey mom, I did the Cape Town in 3.01!"

Frankly, it makes me wonder as to how much of the name change is attributable to the decline of Independent Newspapers, who are busy with a massive retrenchment excercise, making more than 10% of their staff redundant in one fell swoop. One has to wonder if the Argus just can no longer shell out for the naming rights.

This might also go some way to explaining the ludicrous entry fee.

i don't think its the name as much as the race itself that's iconic. Changing the name wont dilute the experience one bit. Later generations wont even know what 'the argus' means anyway. They'll use whatever catchy nickname sticks between now and then. The tour, the cape tour. etc whatevs.

Harryn: if they can't afford the naming rights, then why would they still feature as one of the three big headline sponsors? I think its more a case of the city fathers muscling in on the action to push Brand Cape Town. its all there in that quote from Aunty Patricia..

“We have a vision for the City of Cape Town to become the events capital of Africa. For years, people from across the country and the world have cycled through the city and seen everything that we have to offer. We are honoured that the Cycle Tour has now been named after the City and look forward to welcoming the participants for the Cape Town Cycle Tour.”
Edited by Capricorn

Does this mean we won't get another pointless Momentum I-don't-fit-in-the-cage water bottle in the goodie bag? 

Or Will it actually be called The Cape Argus Pick n Pay Momentum Cape Town Cycle Tour, because more syllables is always considered a good thing? TCAPNPMCTCT has a ring to it, especially for Google.

And are our medals valuable collectors' items now?

Edited by LeTurbo

Apparently its to market it better to the international audience, pretty pointless unless they are going to increase entrants to plus 40k Or decrease the local entry to allow more foreigners to bring their currency to Cape Town, i guess we'll have to wait & see.

The logo looks like an alien on a bike, could have been called the Roswel cycle tour. But then it appears that aliens don't need seatposts or bars to ride either.

I like the "Cape Town Cycle Tour" better than the impossible old official name, but I'll keep on calling it the "Argus". I think the re-naming probably has something to do with the Argus suffering financially and the City of Cape Town now most likely being the biggest contributor. They are simply the most logical headline sponsor, better than any other business or company. Good that the city is willing to build its brand internationally especially in the cycling world. We have much to offer.