Cape Argus Pick n Pay Momentum Cycle Tour officially renamed the Cape Town Cycle Tour

News bot

What about the 109.4 as a name at least the distance will be a constant

Over the years the distance has not been constant. Over Ou Kaapse weg, over Boyes drive, finish in Camps Bay ... etc.

Just glad all this excitement over this BIG announcement we have all been anxiously waiting for, is over.

Back to your lives and as you were!

Oh ... and before we say Whooopla ...

HOLD YOUR F@*# LINE!!!

I wonder whats really behind this decision - I am suspicious of the spin doctoring.

Why on earth would they re-brand a race name which is internationally iconic?

You just can't say: "hey mom, I did the Cape Town in 3.01!"

Frankly, it makes me wonder as to how much of the name change is attributable to the decline of Independent Newspapers, who are busy with a massive retrenchment excercise, making more than 10% of their staff redundant in one fell swoop. One has to wonder if the Argus just can no longer shell out for the naming rights.

This might also go some way to explaining the ludicrous entry fee.

Internationally iconic? I do wonder how many people tell their friends abroad they are going to ride the Argus rather than they are going to Cape Town?  Research indicates the latter.

The renaming eliminates the complexity of accommodating multiple sponsors and positions the Cape Town Cycle Tour factually based on where it occurs.  As Capricorn points out "Changing the name wont dilute the experience one bit. Later generations wont even know what 'the argus' means anyway." Which is perfectly true for the worldwide audience that is so important for South Africa to attract now that striking has become our major economic output.  The City of Cape Town and the Western Cape government recognise the unique opportunity that cyclo tourism offers the economy given the Cape's natural attractiveness to cyclists.

The renaming has nothing to do with the Cape Argus wanting out, it remains as a major sponsor and a newspaper very supportive of recreational cycling and the benefits of cycling to the community it serves.

Regarding the "ludicrous entry fee", this is a charitable event where ALL profits go to charity or the benefit of the broader cycling community. Is R430 or R400 if you are a PPA member really expensive for one of the best organised and fun days you can have on a bicycle, including being the world funride championships? I bet you spend more on energy supplements and post ride coffee in the weeks leading up to the event. With 40,000 entries all snapped up in days I don't think the market agrees with you.

Internationally iconic? I do wonder how many people tell their friends abroad they are going to ride the Argus rather than they are going to Cape Town? Research indicates the latter.

The renaming eliminates the complexity of accommodating multiple sponsors and positions the Cape Town Cycle Tour factually based on where it occurs. As Capricorn points out "Changing the name wont dilute the experience one bit. Later generations wont even know what 'the argus' means anyway." Which is perfectly true for the worldwide audience that is so important for South Africa to attract now that striking has become our major economic output. The City of Cape Town and the Western Cape government recognise the unique opportunity that cyclo tourism offers the economy given the Cape's natural attractiveness to cyclists.

The renaming has nothing to do with the Cape Argus wanting out, it remains as a major sponsor and a newspaper very supportive of recreational cycling and the benefits of cycling to the community it serves.

Regarding the "ludicrous entry fee", this is a charitable event where ALL profits go to charity or the benefit of the broader cycling community. Is R430 or R400 if you are a PPA member really expensive for one of the best organised and fun days you can have on a bicycle, including being the world funride championships? I bet you spend more on energy supplements and post ride coffee in the weeks leading up to the event. With 40,000 entries all snapped up in days I don't think the market agrees with you.

All of your points are entirely valid; I stand corrected!

Internationally iconic? I do wonder how many people tell their friends abroad they are going to ride the Argus rather than they are going to Cape Town? Research indicates the latter.

All my Dublin club members knew and ask about 'the big sportive in CT', never used 'the Argus' as people would here in SA

I like where this is going, we have the Cape Town Marathon, the Cape Town Triathlon, now the Cape Town Cycle Tour. The City is a strong international brand in and of itself and should have a basket of international sporting events under its banner

So , what about the ARGUS MTB race a week before, are they going to change that name to the "Stellenbosch MTB Tour" perhaps ??

So , what about the ARGUS MTB race a week before, are they going to change that name to the "Stellenbosch MTB Tour" perhaps ??

well since its at boschendal they would need to go with pniel

well since its at boschendal they would need to go with pniel

I foresee big problems for dyslexic entrants. :ph34r: