The Taper: The ‘forgotten’ phase of training

SSISA

Tapering is a training strategy that allows endurance athletes to achieve peak performance for major competitions. Manipulating both the volume and the intensity of the training during the taper allows the athletes to flush out any fatigue without losing training induced adaptations.

View full article

I am taking a 10 day rest a month before my big event. Thereafter I have 3 weeks to train. Will the 10 day rest cause a huge gap in my training or can I optimize my training afterwords in a way that the 10 day rest will actually have a positive affect on my training. The month leading up to the resting period saw me doing intensive training and today I rode my best ever ride. I can say I achived my goals today the day before I rest.

BTW not resting is not an option. I am taking a family holiday and the mistress (cycling) is not invited.

My sport is MTB

I also like day 1,3 and 5 of the training program ...... looks like my Marathon training program ..... oh yes Day 7 is always a rest day  .... :)