Bike hijack Mellville Koppies Today

SoftTail

Posted by Steve Gale on Critical Mass Johannesburg today

Just a note, a friend and I (both males) were bike jacked on the melville mtb trail by 3 men this afternoon. Be aware and on the lookout if up there in a small group, they were very agressive.

Just a note, a friend and I (both males) were bike jacked on the melville mtb trail by 3 men this afternoon. Be aware and on the lookout if up there in a small group, they were very agressive.

Can you give further info regarding the location? Melville koppies MTB trail? I live next to Melville and never knew there was a Melville Koppies Trail.

I know the area at the bottom of Melville (Rustenburg Road) by Black Coffee has seen a few incidents, first I've seen in the koppies though. Not good, hope everyone came away from it unscathed.

More details about  the hijack?

Are you OK?

Sorry to hear dude, glad youare okay.

We only ride The Koppies as a big group. Some routes there are the most technically challenging riding in Gauteng. Crime there was particularly bad about 6 or 7 years ago. Reports of AK47s etc. Hopefully the JUMA will make it more popular and therefore safer.

I've heard that 20 to 30 years ago Delta Park was a very dangerous place.

Sorry to hear dude, glad youare okay.

We only ride The Koppies as a big group. Some routes there are the most technically challenging riding in Gauteng. Crime there was particularly bad about 6 or 7 years ago. Reports of AK47s etc. Hopefully the JUMA will make it more popular and therefore safer.

I've heard that 20 to 30 years ago Delta Park was a very dangerous place.

We're hoping the same. Security guards, re-exposing the area to the public - all things to bring focus back onto a really nice cycling/walking area that jusn't hasn't been all that safe of late...

--Andy

Sorry to hear that, and it's such an awesome piece to ride. Think I may have to wait for a bigger group before I do it again...thanks for the heads-up