Over the last few weeks I've been experiencing mild, moderate and intense migraines randomly after activities.

Not always. But sometimes.

I've been to a doctor who says pretty much the same thing the internet does.

Its hydration, nutrition and rest related. Versus the duration and/or intensity of the sport.

Which I am not arguing. For the most part I tend to feel better after an activity if I had a good nights rest, ate a good breakfast and drink lots of water. That goes without saying for anyone realy. But not always, not with me. There are certainly exceptions. Its the exceptions which made me start this thread.

For eg. I recall a 25km ride after only 4 hours of sleep the previous night. Two bananas and water during the ride. I felt fine during and afterwards. Then on a seperate ocassion, despite being well rested with lots to eat and drink: I experience intense pain after only a 5km ride.

Why is it so random? Am I unfit? Genetically predisposed? Do I have some sort of vitaman deffieciency? What?

A little about me.

At 33 years old I'm certainly no athlete and enjoy sports rereationally.

Depending on conditions and free time I may decide to run, surf of ride not more 3 or 4 days a week (Not each)

I never surf more than and 2 hours per session

I never go further than 5 km per run.

And hardly ever cover more than 10km per ride.

These days I tend to squeeze in a quicky more often than go the distance because of time constraints.

But I've been a little more than cassually active for as long as I can remember.

Its starting to get in the way of my passion for doing these things. Which is depressing.

I dont even want to enter any races. Sigh.

Any similar experiences and/or suggestions to try and pin point the problem or help overcome or manage it would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How's your blood pressure + heart rate before and after the ride? Might also be worth checking blood glucose levels?

As far as hydration goes, I read it's better to pre-hydrate and your body will absorb more that way. I drink extra water before rides, but that does sometimes lead to extra pit stops.

Edited by Jacquers

do you hydrate after the ride?

i find that sometimes after a long ride (esp when its warm) i need to drink at least a litre of water otherwise i get a headache.

Yes someone suggested this to me and I've done it for my last few rides with mixed results.

How's your blood pressure + heart rate before and after the ride? Might also be worth checking blood glucose levels?

As far as hydration goes, I read it's better to pre-hydrate and your body will absorb more that way. I drink extra water before rides, but that does sometimes lead to extra pit stops.

The doctor says my resting bp and heart rate is normal. I'm going to get my blood sugar checked out. Sounds like a good suggestion. Thank you. My heart rate seems fine during rides and often feel like I could go faster or longer before being out of breath. But I pace myself because of fear for getting a migraine.

Could also stem from your neck I would guess - I've had couple of bad headaches from purely riding and looking up - as you do sitting on a bike.  Especially if you ride bumpy roads, with suspension too hard, or with a riding position too stretched out.

Just a guess though...

Are you sure you're getting migraines or is it just bad head aches? I have been suffering from migraines from primary school and in my case they go along with partial loss of vision, flickering images in front of your eyes, eyes becoming very light sensitive, nausea etc etc. and of course extreme head ache. Are you displaying these symptoms?

Hydrate with something that replaces electrolytes such as Rehidrat. It is not sufficient to only drink water. This solved my problem of getting headaches after/during rides.

Are you sure you're getting migraines or is it just bad head aches? I have been suffering from migraines from primary school and in my case they go along with partial loss of vision, flickering images in front of your eyes, eyes becoming very light sensitive, nausea etc etc. and of course extreme head ache. Are you displaying these symptoms?

I get those too. Also from a very young age.... Not lekka at all  :thumbdown:  

Ja, and the worst thing is, you never know when it's gonna strike. I'll be standing at a braai having a cold one, and boom, out of fricken nowhere it starts. Actually ended up at the Mediclinic a few times because of it. I get so nauseas that I dehydrate completely and then I need a drip. Really frustrating.

Ja, and the worst thing is, you never know when it's gonna strike. I'll be standing at a braai having a cold one, and boom, out of fricken nowhere it starts. Actually ended up at the Mediclinic a few times because of it. I get so nauseas that I dehydrate completely and then I need a drip. Really frustrating.

Dont i know it. Eish.... Sometime just looking up from my computer screen and my eye catch the glare from the fluorescent light in the office and BOOOM there it hits.... I avoid things like cheese, chocolates, fatty foods etc Seems to help.

I have only had it three times that I can remember. Two of those were in the last month, both started with my vision going blurry. After about 20 mins my vision would return, another 40mins or so later the nausea starts and it feels like my skull is on the edge of exploding.

In my case I got headaches from too much sugar (in Energade, Game, Powerade, etc)...swithched over to 32GI and I am as happy as can be :thumbup:

That's interesting. Do you have an explanation on why?

(I also get post ride head aches.)

Dont i know it. Eish.... Sometime just looking up from my computer screen and my eye catch the glare from the fluorescent light in the office and BOOOM there it hits.... I avoid things like cheese, chocolates, fatty foods etc Seems to help.

Ja, food definitely plays a role. I stopped eating bananas and also chocolat (funnily enough dark chocolat is still ok for me) and it has helped. And ja, bright light is also a big culprit.  Find that I get it more during stressful periods. Read an article somewhere which said that clenching your jaws (obviously as a result of stress) can also cause it. So these days I try to stay calm!     

Yep. Definately a migraine. Classic aura flicker vision starts in the corner of my eye and then I know I'll be on my ass in the next half hour. The flicker intensity in my vision is usually an indication of how bad the pain will be. Slight nausea but hardly worth mentioning. I've only ever had to lie down twice because it was so bad. Usually anti-inflamitory type painkillers helps depending on severity. But it doesnt make it go away.

I've been reading the replies via email. A little swamped at work right now. I certainly dont wish this on anyone else. But it is somewhat comforting to know I'm not the only one. So thank you for the replies. Those of you that experience it. How do you manage or avoid it when riding?