Squeaky SPD shoes

nox1111

Hey guys,

Random problem, my Specialized shoes and XTR pedals creates an awful lot of squeaking, to the point where I'm considering chopping the shoe sides away to minimize contact with the pedals.

The sound it seems are all from where the rubber on the sides of the cleats touches the pedal surfaces next to the clips.

Anyone else have this problem or a good solution for it - before I take my dremel to my shoes?

My Shimano SPD shoes did not do this - so I'm used to a pretty quiet ride, and especially at 4:30am when it's just me on a climb, the sound just seem amplified.

I have a similar problem and put some Vaseline Blue Seal on the pedal at the contact points with the shoes. No more squeaking.

Edited by PJP2013

Corrective surgery only as a last resort. It's not reversible.

You could also try rubbing a candle on the contact area. It's worked for me before, and it's quite a clean fix.

Silicon spray applied to the shoe - but it's a temporary fix that proves that is where the noise is.

Sometimes tightening the cleat tension on the pedal also helps - don't go overboard...

• 1 year later...

Sorry to resurrect an old post but was having exactly the same problem , literally pulled my hair out . After much frustration (changing cleat and pedals) I found that is was the metal loop that the tension straps pass through to tighten . I poured some White lightening in there and the "squeak" has now gone . 

Just thought I would share 

Edited by robsc

• 4 years later...

Mine does the same, I find that washing the bike after every ride with a good oil up on the pedals keeps it quiet for the first 15-20min ????.

I have however read somewhere, I think it was one of the Epic write ups where Karl Platt (or some pro rider) mentioned something about fixing a cable tie around the centre of the cleat where the shoe clips into. Apparently that then reduces the play between the pedal and shoe and this then stops the noise. I have not tried it yet so can't comment if it is true ????. You can always try it and tell me if it works

Did you ever find a solution? I got the same problem. New Spez shoes on XT pedals. Squeals like a pig. Old shoes on same pedal are quiet.

Edited by RobertWhitehead

@ Ivan888. Same problem (SPD / Spez shoes). Opt to take cleats off, roughen surface (sand down lightly) apply bike grease (vaseline will work too) - and then affix cleats. Dip screws in vaseline as well. i did sand parts of rubber sole too (widen area around cleat). 

@Robert: would love to know about that Karl Platt hack.

Ride flats

Lol they aren't the best option on absolutely everything ya know haha.

Sucks nuts on a SS mtb I recently discovered. You realize just how much you can pull a pedal on the up-stroke when you need put stupid power down to get up a hill in your one wrong gear. Just didn't work the same with the flats. So much more work.

So my dmr v12’s went back in the cupboard for now while I enjoy the torture.

Lol they aren't the best option on absolutely everything ya know haha.

Sucks nuts on a SS mtb I recently discovered. You realize just how much you can pull a pedal on the up-stroke when you need put stupid power down to get up a hill in your one wrong gear. Just didn't work the same with the flats. So much more work.

So my dmr v12’s went back in the cupboard for now while I enjoy the torture.

????????????

My SS always had SPDs. There is no way i could climb anything on flats with it.

surely you can put a spacer in between the cleat and the shoe. I know the older eggbeaters  came which the spacer with stopped this kinda irritation.

Edited by dave303e