SLX vs Deore Brakes

lukes_handle

Hi there I'm looking at new brakes as the ones that came on my bike just aren't cutting it (Shimano m505) everything else on my bike is SLX so my first instinct is the SLX and they are higher up in the Shimano line so therefore should be 'better'.

I want to know from experience what everyone's experience has been and any advice on which ones to go with as I'm looking at the SLX m675 vs the Deore m615. I see online there's about a R700 difference. I ride cross country mostly doing ROAG events around 40km but I want to work towards doing longer races and even a stage raceor two. I'm 178cm and 59kg and currently have 180mm up front and 160mm in the back, I would like to keep it that way but will get new rotors.

Also is ICE TECH really worth it especially with me being so light I'm not heavy on the brakes. I looked and can get SLX set with ICE TECH rotors from CRC for about R2 200 and my girlfriend will be in England at the end of the year anyway so is that a good option? (I like supporting local but that is an awesome deal).

And with everything being Shimano on my bike I want to keep it that way also for the sake of ease with I-Spec, I like the cleaner look.

HELP!!!

Edited by lukes_handle

M615's are basically the old SLX's that have been rebranded to deore's.

I cussrently roll with a set of Deore's M615's and i think they are brilliant.

I just put deore brakes on my trail bike, they work well but I notice  they are not quite as sharp as the SLX on my 26er. Have XT on the 29er, of the 3 I would choose SLX.

on a side note, SLX and XT are the same except for the bite point adjustment screw, and sometimes the XTs come with finned pads 

From what I see on the online pics the SLX have the finned pads as well (mostly) or is that just the picture?

Hey Luke, don't apologise for importing bikes/parts. We live in a free country which has free market principles. If you can get parts cheaper in the UK then there must be something wrong with the pricing policies of SA's LBS/Agents. Money is liquid and flows to where the best deal is.

Whilst this will not assist you in your current decision, I have a full Deore group set on my MTB from the early 2000's. It is still going strong after countless miles and spending time in the tropics and in the wet in the UK. Have only replaced BB.

From what I see on the online pics the SLX have the finned pads as well (mostly) or is that just the picture?

Quite possibly - I almost bought a set from Merlin that had finned in the pic but the description stated that they were not finned - so just check - no reason SLX couldn't be finned though 

Almost forgot, the reservoir cover on XT is metal, plastic on SLX, if that even makes a difference   

Quite possibly - I almost bought a set from Merlin that had finned in the pic but the description stated that they were not finned - so just check - no reason SLX couldn't be finned though 

Almost forgot, the reservoir cover on XT is metal, plastic on SLX, if that even makes a difference   

Not sure which is standard, but there are finned Pads for the SLX brakes. My Silverback Sprada came with Finned pads. SLX stop amazingly well so can always recommend them.

Buy SLX brakes and rotors you will be sorted  1.79 and 59 kg jeez you are light could even go to 160mm on front and back . I have XT brakes and to me SLX and XT are the same I just got a great price on XT the finned pads are flipping expensive I replaced mine after worn out with standard shimano pads the Finned pads are about R600 a pair crazy brakes do not heat that much just marketing talk.

So it's looking like ICE TECH is cool but not needed really. Deore great bang for buck and not much difference besides minor 'gadgets' on SLX. leaning toward SLX for looks sake but will see what budget is doing in next month or so. Thanks for all the help

I have SLX on my bike and it works perfectly, has a nice sharp bite but does not lock up too easily.

So if you are looking at buying local, have a look at Easybike - they almost always have specials going on Shimano components.  I just had a look they have SLX M675 Ice Tec on special at the moment for R2199, and the normal ones for R1899  :thumbup:

Ice Tec rotors and finned pads a lot more expensive. Unless you are doing long fast downhills with lots of brakingthe heat build-up should not be too bad, especially considering your light weight.

I weigh about 87kg and ride 200mm front and 180mm rear icetec rotors on a 29er with XT brakes and normal pads. My brakes are savage. Even on the longer downhills like Renee's Rumble in the Karkloof I don't get any noticeable fade. Fortunately on the ice tec capable brake systems you can also use normal discs and pads so it is possible to save quite a bit of money. It is nice to have bite and reach adjustment so I would rather buy an upspecced set of levers with the cheaper rotors and pads unless you are really hammering the downhill sections.