Do compression garments enhance recovery for cyclists?

SSISA

On Monday night, the Discovery High Performance Centre of the Sports Science Institute of South Africa held a workshop on “Recovery strategies to enhance performance”. One of the techniques discussed was the use of lower-leg compression garments to speed up recovery. In this week’s article we will dissect the findings of a recently published study, which examined the effect of lower body compression garments on subsequent cycling performance.

Click here to view the article

Nice article. From my brief read through it looks like it confirms what other studies have said: good for recovery (similar benefits to ice bath) but doesn't increase performance when worn during exercise?

Hi James

The evidence for the use of compression garments during exercise to enhance performance is very limited at the moment. 

There may well be a benefit, but it has yet to be shown convincingly through a randomised controlled trial.

I wish I could give you a more definitive answer.

Thanks for the question.

Kind regards

Ben

a clear benefit to wearing a compression garment

that's lank vague, give us some ballpark numbers doc. 2%, 5%, 20%?

The evidence for the use of compression garments during exercise to enhance performance is very limited at the moment. 

There is however extensive evidence that it makes you look naff.

Power Balance Bracelets also work very well for recovery 

Only if you're using the correct hologram size to match the frequency resonance of your body's ions.

The difference between this and Powerbalance is that there is evidence to show they aid recovery when worn after a workout. I'd much rather wear a compression sock after an anaerobic session than have an ice bath.

Nice article. From my brief read through it looks like it confirms what other studies have said: good for recovery (similar benefits to ice bath) but doesn't increase performance when worn during exercise?

I could be suffering from a bit of placebo effect, but I use compression socks during running only (calf muscle only and not whole foot).

The reason being that I started getting pains in my inside shins. Check-ups with doctors and physios could not find any injuries, however, the pain became so extreme that I stopped running for months. I now use them only during runs and the pain has disappeared. Whilst I have not recaptured my former running "glory" I achieved prior to the pain starting out, I do not feel this pain any longer. The only thing I changed was the utilization of the compression gear.

Having said that, most of the literature I've read seems to promote the benefit as a recovery tool as opposed to use during exercise, when I started using them, around a year ago, I was not willing to amble around the office in those things for the period required and I had read that it should be either during or after, not both.

So, if it's in the mind, so be it. But I'm going to continue using them for the foreseeable future because the use of these items seems to have removed a great deal of discomfort and pain I have experienced.

User it, don't use it....

EDIT: More comments...

Edited by Jigghead

I could be suffering from a bit of placebo effect, but I use compression socks during running only (calf muscle only and not whole foot).

The reason being that I started getting pains in my inside shins. Check-ups with doctors and physios could not find any injuries, however, the pain became so extreme that I stopped running for months. I now use them only during runs and the pain has disappeared. Whilst I have not recaptured my former running "glory" I achieved prior to the pain starting out, I do not feel this pain any longer. The only thing I changed was the utilization of the compression gear.

So, if it's in the mind, so be it. But I'm going to continue using them for the foreseeable future because the use of these items seems to have removed a great deal of discomfort and pain I have experienced.

User it, don't use it....

Even my doctor says the great thing about placebos is that they work so if it works for you then do it. I have my favourite riding shirt that makes me feel faster. I don't care that there's no scientific basis to it, when I put it on I'm quick!  :clap:

Even my doctor says the great thing about placebos is that they work so if it works for you then do it. I have my favourite riding shirt that makes me feel faster. I don't care that there's no scientific basis to it, when I put it on I'm quick!  :clap:

no scientific basis, what about strava?!

Power Balance Bracelets also work very well for recovery

......and Green Tea improves your power-to-weight ratio.....coffee not so much........but then again, thight undies will decrease your performance.

Edited by BarHugger

what was the control ?( or placebo ) surely they knew they were not wearing a compression garment.

what was the control ?( or placebo ) surely they knew they were not wearing a compression garment.

Normal, non compression socks, pantihose or some such item masquerading as a compression sock, I'd imagine...