Prize purse announced for FNB Wines2Whales MTB race

News bot

I am sure 90% of the field couldn't care less about the prize money. Explain to me again why it is important.

most of the "pro's" live of handouts...if there is R1000 up for grabs at a race they all there! Even if it costs them a R1000 to get there...

• 2 weeks later...

most of the "pro's" live of handouts...if there is R1000 up for grabs at a race they all there! Even if it costs them a R1000 to get there...

EPO is costly !

I am sure 90% of the field couldn't care less about the prize money. Explain to me again why it is important.

It IS important. if we want young talent to take up the sport and represent SA on the world stage we need events with proper prize money.

Having the riders from Europe here to compete for the prize money also elevates the event status and makes for good, interesting racing.

We won't see these guys on the Adventure, which is a bit of a shame, as I found on races like Pioneer that they are often just regular guys that like a beer or 2 after a stage.

Prize money should be proportional to the amount of participants in each category, surely the most fair way. The Elite/pro riders could perhaps have a different scale of remuneration.

just out of interest, I had a look at the prize purse split.

It is totally gender neutral, equal money for male/female. 

It treats the mixed cat as an afterthought.

Teams finished(2013)/prizemoney allocated(2014)

Male: 509/R170k

Female: 16/R170k

Mixed: 60/R10k

This is not an exact science, but I don't have the 2013 split(sure it's on the web somewhere, total was R305k). 

I wonder why more mixed teams don't split into women pairings, because there's prizemoney going begging there. (there's R15k up for grabs in the masters women section, 0 entrants in last years results!)