on Kindle: Everything you need to know about Bicycle Chains - Author Johan Bornman

straatvark

and ja, I miss JB.

He managed to really ruk the ring out of warthogs mailing list a few years back(don't know how he got onto a tokai based mtb group in the first place).....he managed to turn a wheel discussion into a religious debate.

but ja, i miss JB

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

a) That comeback for example was moer funny without getting the author involved. (It made me chuckle anyway...)

b) SwissVan reasoning.

Look,JB's online personality pissed me off sometimes and contribute very valuable advice (to me) other times. I spend 2 days with him 6 years ago and his offline personalty was great. I will repeat the experience any day.

But for discussion the book - is not important if you like or dislike the author's personality.

Play the ball and not the man.

I get that. We've all posted something online that's wrong. Humility is the ability and grace to acknowledge it, and engage further to learn something. When someone - a lecturer, a boss, an editor, a mechanic, etc - shows a complete inability to do this, I am unlikely to endorse their views on much. Fact is, much as it's important to play the ball not the man, that Johan dismissed most dissenting views on this forum by doing just that: playing the man with snide remarks, condescending put-downs and dismissive posts. Would I buy the book, read it, and possibly give it the benefit of the doubt? No.       

I get that. We've all posted something online that's wrong. Humility is the ability and grace to acknowledge it, and engage further to learn something. When someone - a lecturer, a boss, an editor, a mechanic, etc - shows a complete inability to do this, I am unlikely to endorse their views on much. Fact is, much as it's important to play the ball not the man, that Johan dismissed most dissenting views on this forum by doing just that: playing the man with snide remarks, condescending put-downs and dismissive posts. Would I buy the book, read it, and possibly give it the benefit of the doubt? No.       

And you are 100% right on the evaluation of JB's online personality. (I only found the Morewood/Momsen foot in mouth comment(s) from him when searching him before posting the book - found it rude & the 'sorry' a bit...short.)

But if you not intending to read any book of JB, don't like snide remarks & like engaging to learn more - then surely there is not a lot happening for you in this thread?

you cannot separate the person and the book...its how famous people sell books...and he's famous from being a know it all condescending <insert whatever you want here>...so like it or not thats the way its going to roll.

As for the book..our friend Rouxtjie said it earlier....chains are not complicated  - what needs to be said can be said in 2 pages and easily found off the internet...as per the link I posted earlier

And you are 100% right on the evaluation of JB's online personality. (I only found the Morewood/Momsen foot in mouth comment(s) from him when searching him before posting the book - found it rude & the 'sorry' a bit...short.)

But if you not intending to read any book of JB, don't like snide remarks & like engaging to learn more - then surely there is not a lot happening for you in this thread?

There are many people who know a lot about bicycles and they don't add "mysticism" to it.

I think South Africans are easily impressed with big words and huge explanations around something very simple.

Yes and no. The Momsen was only one of many examples. "Opinions" stated as "facts" here would make me doubt the credibility of the author and, thus, the validity of a tome about a subject he may not be qualified to speak about.

There are many people who know a lot about bicycles and they don't add "mysticism" to it.

I think South Africans are easily impressed with big words and huge explanations around something very simple.

Wyatt, I hope you don't mind me using this as an example...straatvark, Wyatt and I have butted heads many times on this forum on many issues - as I have with JB too. But, I have never had any reason to doubt his technical nous when it comes to bikes. Basically, the dude knows his stuff. He doesn't strut it, doesn't posit himself as a self-proclaimed guru. Just lets his work and rep do the talking. Sometimes Wyatt and I get on, sometimes we don't. But I would never hesitate to recommend him should someone ask for a bike shop in his area.

you cannot separate the person and the book...its how famous people sell books...and he's famous from being a know it all condescending <insert whatever you want here>...so like it or not thats the way its going to roll.

As for the book..our friend Rouxtjie said it earlier....chains are not complicated  - what needs to be said can be said in 2 pages and easily found off the internet...as per the link I posted earlier

I've solved the riddle... a quick look at the book and you will see it's actually the foreword (that he wrote) and his palmarès that take up the first 86 pages  :whistling:  5 pages is just about right actually  :thumbup: 

Okay, enough trolling from me  :blush:

So i took some time to have a look at the preview, because I'm also wondering how someone writes 91 pages on bicycle chains.

Its definetly a lot more in depth (as the title suggests) than just about basic chain maintenance.

Maybe to in depth for me, but for a few dollars.....

I hope JB forgives me for posting these screen shots of his book and highlighting what indicates its more than just a simple chain maintenance guide, hence +/- 91 pages

For the price $4.86 if i had a kindle i would consider it a bargain, just in case i ever got into a serious argument about biycycle chains and needed to find out some stuff....

post-182-0-06473400-1412846681_thumb.png

post-182-0-33817500-1412846796_thumb.png

Edited by SwissVan

Wyatt, I hope you don't mind me using this as an example...straatvark, Wyatt and I have butted heads many times on this forum on many issues - as I have with JB too. But, I have never had any reason to doubt his technical nous when it comes to bikes. Basically, the dude knows his stuff. He doesn't strut it, doesn't posit himself as a self-proclaimed guru. Just lets his work and rep do the talking. Sometimes Wyatt and I get on, sometimes we don't. But I would never hesitate to recommend him should someone ask for a bike shop in his area.

I just don't get your fancy journo speak. Please could you encapsulate what you are trying to say in a cartoon which is not an illustration. Also, make it non digital, and while you are about it lose the satire.

Good luck with your entry!

So i took some time to have a look at the preview, because I'm also wondering how someone writes 91 pages on bicycle chains.

Its definetly a lot more in depth (as the title suggests) than just about basic chain maintenance.

Maybe to in depth for me, but for a few dollars

I hope JB forgives me for posting these screen shots of his book and highlighting what indicates its more than just a simple chain maintenance guide, hence +/- 91 pages

For the price $4.86 if i had a kindle i would consider it a bargain, just in case i ever got into a serious argument about biycycle chains and needed to find out some stuff....

attachicon.gif2014-10-09_1116_001.png

attachicon.gif2014-10-09_1114.png

Alo good, but the majority will be backed up with "scientific" facts and personal opinions with the aim to dispel some supposed myths.

In the end of the day, maybe an attempt to make a breakthrough as the next Sheldon.

I agree on the mysticism, big words etc - but its easy to filter such white noise out without getting agitated. Only keep what is useful to you.

Hugh explanations has its place though .... Momentum, like chains is also simple and all that you need to know to survive is that trains is not afraid of cars and cars is not afraid of bicycles. - still there is loads of info/maths available on it that is interesting for some people to read/understand, (Even though it change nothing on how they use it in everyday life. It is also fair game to poke fun with them.)

Yes and no. The Momsen was only one of many examples. "Opinions" stated as "facts" here would make me doubt the credibility of the author and, thus, the validity of a tome about a subject he may not be qualified to speak about.

So it's your opinion that JB is not qualified to speak about something as simple as a chain  :whistling:

Couldn't said it better myself :thumbup: