Afrikaans

Gnarly

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jammer Anton dat ek geantwoord het; ek het nie geweet jou 2de naam is Piet nie?

Oops, ek dag jy't gese Petrus de la Rey, Jammer

I do not really like to speak your  common and backward language myself.

I just wonder how you communicated with people in Africa with your recent expat state??

Anyway ... here on the hub' date=' you are correct, it is your right in which language you want to write your post. Some people express themselves the best in their mother tongue!
[/quote']

I CAN speak English and do when it is neccesary, I respect people. Not like the one eyed Colonel and Gnarly. You should rather ask the quaetion what they are doing in a multilingual country like South Africa????

Dont think Gnarly was being disrespectful, but i agree its like the Marisa vd Merwe on receiving cyclist of the the year award in answer to Phil Liggetts question in english answers in afrikaans.

still a lot of afrikaans/english , english/afrikaans dictionaries available - if you really want to know what's been said in afrikaans.Big%20smile

What gets me is when people (and often Eengleesh peoples) don't know their "theres" from their "theirs" or even worse; their "its" from their "it's".

Don't mofo's now hows to grammaterise annymore???

Ditto! And add to that the people who don't know their "know" and "now" 's Big%20smileEmbarrassed

Here' date=' here, I would change your post to NO AFRIKAANS--its a dieing language. 
[/quote']

... and to all the English oukies who feel the same: From now on I'll speak universal English to all of you who have this attitude towards MY language:

20080315_042716_middle_finger_s.jpg

Is that clear enough?

What gets me is when people (and often Eengleesh peoples) don't know their "theres" from their "theirs" or even worse; their "its" from their "it's".

Don't mofo's now hows to grammaterise annymore???

Ditto! And add to that the people who don't know their "know" and "now" 's Big%20smileEmbarrassed

Here' date=' here, I would change your post to NO AFRIKAANS--its a dieing language. 
[/quote']

... and to all the English oukies who feel the same: From now on I'll speak universal English to all of you who have this attitude towards MY language:

20080315_042716_middle_finger_s.jpg

Is that clear enough?
'

know is iy clear enuffLOLLOLLOL

Jy praat nog steeds my taal,

Die vlamme brand so kaal,

Want om ?n kampvuur wil ek die ou dinge herhaal.

Se my voel jy nou,

Soos ons taal nou bou,

Dat ek trots kan gaan waar Afrikaners staan.

Want jy praat nog steeds my taal

Ja jy praat nog steeds my taal.

Sonder jou voel ek ? verdwaal.

En ?n koue vuur,

Se kole brand nooit uit nie,

Indie donker voel ons elkeen raak ons aan,

Want my hart le hier,

Hier waar my mense staan

Saam met elke hart en siel

Sal ek op staan.

viva bokkie viva

Now my Afrikaans is not the greatest, but here I am sitting in Suriname, South America, a country where whites make up less than 1% of the population, and guess what I need Afrikaans. 

I use it daily and although the locals describe my attempts as "gebrokte Nederlands" the appreciate that I try, and we get along swell because of it. 

WH: die' date=' dye, remove, take away. Either way its a gonna fade out soon.[/quote']

you care to substantiate your sweeping statement?

but back to the point, when a post is made in english i usually try to respond in the same language, especially if it is someone who doesnt understand afrikaans like bikemax. When a start a thread asking something a like to do it in both language or in a way that most people would understand. Apart from that....afrikaans!

oktober 2006 - the hub was completely english and started a poll.

https://www.bikehub.co.za/forum_posts.asp?TID=7595&PN=1&RN=3

Some funny guy will post in that dieing language here soon.
[/quote']

You dumb ass D... you can not even write in your own lanGwage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HERE HERE SHOULD BE HEAR HEAR AS.....

TREK JOU F....... ONDER LIP OOR JOU KOP EN SLUK

Afrikaans speaking people respect other peoples language. We have respect for your short comings. A lack of class and upbringing.

Hope this is the reaction you wanted.
boela2008-03-15 11:35:44

Goofs, is it a pre-requisite for a cyclist of the year to be fluent in english? At least she understood the questions. How many european champions need a translater when they are interviewed in english. I feel this criticism against Marissa is unfair. She comes from a very afrikaans community and being interviewed in front of a large audience for the first time, why can she not speak in her mother tongue, instead of making a fool of herself trying to answer questions in a language she is not comfortable with. At her age I struggled to have a decent conversation in english as well. 

Dont agree she matriculated and must have done english comperehension and vocal. The question was posed in english by a world renowned commentator who had no clue what her reply was. Using your theory you would then have no problem with Siphiso (SA MTB champ) answering in an indigenous language. goofs2008-03-15 12:45:15

Just a quick question..? If a thread is started in English or Afrikaans' date=' should you not keep it that way? 

Now it's not that I've got anything against Afrikaans but I just don't don't understand it. I read some post then half way trough, bang!!!I was reading with interest but now don't know what anyone is saying.  
[/quote']

If i am replying to a specific person and he/she only understands English, i will reply in English.Smile

Otherwise i usually tend to reply in which ever of the two languages expresses best what i am trying to say. Even when i am speaking to people in everyday life i switch from Afrikaans to English and back again all the time.Embarrassed

I take both as a first language subject, and i love every aspect of both -  from DJ Opperman, Dalene Matthee and Ingrid Jonker's ramblings all the way through to Shakespeare's weird sonnets and plays (btw - i wonder how many of you souties are actually able to follow a Shakespeare dramaErmm - hy IS per slot van sake die "meester"Wink)

Pagers? understant? goning? you sure you undestand english boet?

LOLClap

[/quote']

colonel, when you say Afrikaans is a dieing language, do you mean it colours phrases creatively or does it die it a weird colour?  I am just a simple Afrikaner trying to understand this complex English phrase of yoursWink

...or do you mean it is like a die which makes us all conform to one mould(or die?)

I don't understand, but if you meant Afrikaans is dying, it seems that you are doing your best to murder the English language. LOLWink

[/quote']

You dumb ass D... you can not even write in your own lanGwage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HERE HERE SHOULD BE HEAR HEAR AS.....

TREK JOU F....... ONDER LIP OOR JOU KOP EN SLUK

you wanted.

LOLLOLLOL Lol WH en Boela - ek wou presies daai selfde goed uitwys, dog toe ek scroll maar eers deur al die replies en kyk wie dit nog raak gesien hetWink Steur my nie te veel aan hom nie though (watse lekker Afrikaanse woord is daar vir "though"  btw - ek dink dis een van die coolste woorde in die rooinek taal en ek kry nie 'n Afrikaanse een wat presies dieselfde beteken nie??) ...lag maar net - het al te veel kere met Colonel gestry oor di? ding - hy's eintlik nie so erg as jy hom leer ken nie - meer tong in die kies as iets anders - hou van strooi soek!Wink

en Boela...daai verskuilde boodskappie in witLOL - dis nogal 'n idee wanneer jy net iets wil s?, maar nie regtig moet nie...

Ag Colonel - WHIE LAAV JOO IEVEN IF JOO DOO KNOT TALKS AFRIKAANSWinkHug

Modderig' date=' ek versprei net onmin en onsekerheid onder die Ingelse Wielnafers om hulle te verdeel sodat hulle die volgende heuwelaanval nog steeds verstrooid sal dink oor my woorde en my toelaat om die naelren in oortuigende wyse te stormloop en so met die louere weg te loop!

Now figure that one out on a Friday evening!  Man, I need a life....
[/quote']

muddy, i spread just dicord and uncertainty under the English wheel-nafers around them to being divided so that they the next hill attack still confusificated will think over my words and my allow at the nail-race in over-harnessing sage to stormwalk and so with the laurels being gone to walk!

now can you like to goes figures that one out on friday evening!

man, you think he needs a life, i need a life....

LOLLOLLOL@ the words/phrases in boldLOLClap

Close ZorgusWink Actually;

MudDee, i'm just spreading discord and uncertainty between the English Hubbers to devide them so that by the next hill attack they will still be confused by my words and then allow me to take the sprint in a convincing manner and let me walk away with the winningsBig%20smile

Afrikaans
4 925 760

5 685 403

5 811 547
5 945 805
5 983 426

Sepedi
2 431 760

n/a

3 695 846
3 832 645
4 208 980

English
2 815 640
3 422 503
3 457 467
3 692 157
3 673 203

Clap hoor hoor!!! (damn - ek het nou probeer dink hoe ek dit verkeerd kan spel en toe maar moed opgegeeConfusedEmbarrassedLOL) Wink

still a lot of afrikaans/english ' date=' english/afrikaans dictionaries available - if you really want to know what's been said in afrikaans.Big%20smile[/quote']

I'll sponsor some. (and just beware if i have given you one and you don't use it - I FROW JOO WIFF ROKS!!!AngryLOLWink)

I'm with Goofs on this one regarding Marissa - she could have at least tried - everyone who was in an Afrikaans school had to take 12years of English which involved orals, oral responses in class everyday and by matric you should be able to express yourself. She could have tried out of respect to one of cycling's legends.