How Big is a Truck's Blind spot?

Gitfo

Interesting!

I feel if the truck come past us, he should know that the cyclists are there.

But we catch up with truck, we should make sure the driver see us, by waving at him...

I think it does rely on the drivers ability and awareness to be a huge factor. But mostly i just try to see the driver in his own mirror if im behind him or slightly to the side. That way i know he will be able to see me.

I have just returned from london after living and riding there for a very long time. Most of the cycling fatalities there are because of cyclist getting knocked off by a left turning HGV. Im amazed by the lack of road sense by some of the cyclist there.

Haven't cycled here too much yet since being back, but get the general feeling that it will be very similar here.

The driver will always blame the cyclist and the cyclist will always blame the driver.

That truck isnt standing straight - The horse's (engined part of truck) mirror is pointing to the trailer and not "along the road"

I didn't watch the video, but as a rule, I will not drive/ride next to a truck. It's either well in front or well behind.

I didn't watch the video, but as a rule, I will not drive/ride next to a truck. It's either well in front or well behind.

post-32242-0-62007500-1413471513_thumb.png

Point of the video is that in a car (non-articulated) the mirrors always show the same view behind but in a truck where the mirrors are on the cab which is a small part of the vehicle, the rear view gets significantly restricted on both sides when the vehicle turns even slightly. On the outside of the turn the rvm will look wide and cannot see down the side of the truck while on the inside of the turn, rvm only sees a portion of the trailer. Agree with the-odinson; if you can't see his mirror, or his eyes in the mirror, then he can't see you even he is looking.

• 2 months later...

Riding on the road makes me nervous at the best of times so I agree wholeheartedly with this statement. I much prefer singletrack but I also am a believer in occasionally commuting to work. Also worth noting is that I far prefer riding on road with a dirt or grass shoulder that I can jump onto in an emergency and low or no kerb. I once had a bus come past me while I was pedaling alongside a high kerb and the bus passed within inches of my handle bars. That was the most vulnerable I've ever felt on my bike and I've planned my routes carefully ever since. I do not like buses or trucks. I don't care how big or small their blind spot is. On a bike with no airbags and you as the crumple zone its better to assume no one can see you and ride very defensively.

Generally, of you can see the driver's face in the side mirrors, he should be able to see you.

BEST ADVICE AND ACTUALLY THE ONLY RULE WHEN "PLAYING" WITH A HORSE AND TRAILER

my commuter partner told me that for trucks and in the case of cars make eye contact or assume they have not seen you no matter how visible  you seem to think you are