JUMA Rant - Show me the money

MTB-BFK

Patches said: " I eventually took him on the inside of a switchback, which infuriated him further"; so that was you; bastid! :devil:

Just joking - I feel exactly the same at Sani; quite a few people even stop and walk on the Umko downhill but as I'm dead slow on the uphills I just have to live with it.  Nice if they walked on one side of the trail though  :eek:

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got almost everything I expected and prepared myself for at JUMA on Sunday - a ride through and under parts of Jozi that I have never seen and may never have seen in a chilled riding atmosphere. There were a few glitches - minor except for the medical responses. 

If JUMA stands for Johannesburg Urban Mountain Adventure would doing away with placings, prize money and timing eliminate most of the frustration with regards bottlenecks, riding above ones ability on unfamilar surfaces, taking shortcuts, queue jumping and bad manners.

We need to give the guys credit for trying something totally new!

There are always going to be risks as a result, but if no one tries new things we will be stuck with the same old forever. Personally it was not my idea of MTBing, but that's my opinion and I won't ride again next year. There are plenty people that will and that is their choice.

Welldone to the guys for innovating, our sport needs it.

Awesome guys, had an absolute blast. Rode unbelievable routes, challenging ramps and descents, had no slips in the storm water canals, so lord alone knows what the dudes were doing to fall......maybe expecting tar???

With a bit of luck the wingers won't be there next year and we won't have the bottle necks!

Can't wait!

Big thanks to the guy who stopped me from face planting into some neatly rolled up razor wire at that awesome drop off just before the golf course. Guys! that should never have been there!

As for the "Anatomic" tunnel.......what promised to be awesome, was just interesting and a bit dodgy. If Anatomic had spent half as much on the lighting as they did on all the advertising, it would have been a blast! Come on Attie! You can do better than that!

......grief am I winging..

Seriously looking forward to a slightly fine tuned event next year!

Well done guys and thanks to Russell and fritz for the help with the glitch on Nic's starting time!

Wow! You going to get a serious surprise if you you ever get into event organizing. Your calculations are seriously flawed and you have NO idea what the costs involved are in putting something like this together... even more so in an urban area! Safety, security, fencing, toilets, race village setup, sound, entertainment, permissions, marketing, construction, equipment rental, photographers, entry system fees... these are just a few items on a very long list. I am not saying the event was perfect. There is big (very big) room for improvement but then address these issues instead of presenting a totally warped event "budget". No event organizer wants a bad event so I am am sure they will step up their game next time. It is a great concept... now they just have to make it work.

I fully agree. The route was not friendly to beginners or even intermediate riders. It was dangerous at many points with next to no lighting in the tunnels. I saw one marshal in the tunnel. Nowhere near what they promised. Waterpoint, useless and only one for 52km and 17km into a 22km race? With 5000 riders on the route, it puts a rider every 10m, what did they expect in terms of bottlenecks? A 6m high bridge with a 45° ramp. Do they expect most people to be able to ride up and down such a ramp?

Apparently there was a guy who broke his hip and lay there for 2h waiting for paramedics. Another incident someone waited 45min+ for medics. Food stalls at the finish were also very badly prepared. Route markings were confusing in the first 5km and people ended up taking different routes. Some of the areas were riddled with glass and no marahals or security in dangerous areas. Very disappointed. Feel ripped off. 947 costs the same, they also need metro, close roads, paramedics, goodie bags, water tables marshals et" and you get a lot more value for your entry.

Big thanks to the guy who stopped me from face planting into some neatly rolled up razor wire at that awesome drop off just before the golf course. Guys! that should never have been there!

. My sons technical skills failed him at that exact spot, 11 stitches later. He still went on to finish, but it put an end to the rest of the families day as we needed to trek back to take him to hospital. Thanks to the medic who strapped him up so that he could continue.

I just wanna find out if anyone knows what the out come of the elderly gentleman who fell at the one river crossing at Bryanston side of the spruit.

He said he could not move his back/ felt paralyzed.

I was very upset and shocked to see this.

I hope that he is ok.

Anyone know his outcome please?

My wife did a CT Scan on an elderly guy who fell at JUMA, he shattered his hip and pelvis, possibly the same guy. For obvious reasons I cannot divulge any more info.

Edited by CraigCCW

I had an absolutely fantastic time on Sunday- did the 52km. Really thought it was a lot of fun. But that being said, there were a few points on the organisation that were pretty poor. There weren't enough water points, and some water points closed early. It was a very technical route for the quantity of entrants and there were some serious injuries. You could argue that this is the riders' fault, but the fact is that with thousands of riders on that course, serious injuries were inevitable. The race emergency response teams simply couldn't get to them all quickly enough. I think they should have capped the entries lower and thought through emergency access etc. a bit better. I also think that it's worth noting that the event was very well marketed to the general public. It was not like most of your Advendurance races, for example, where the marathon field tends to be comprised of quite seasoned mountain bikers. Although the organisers did disclose what would be involved, there were a lot of quite average riders (by the organisers' design) and I think the number of injuries should have been foreseeable.

Edited by Katy

Guest Omega Man

Hardly an insightful article, very basic reporting and poor use of an inaccurate 'file photo' 

How did that get past the different editorial desks.

**Response not aimed at you dude. I've held back on commenting on this cos I didn't ride. I don't even live in JHB.

Unfortunately because it's sensationalism that sells not the truth. Forget the fact that thousands had fun and got to do something they wouldn't normally do. Let's focus on a few injuries and the fact that emergency services took long to respond to an emergency.

It's the good old PHD (Pull Him Down) in action. The race organizers are all just profiteering. Anyone who does well in business is a skelm. Etc etc etc.

If the race organizers had to listen what all the whiners had to say there wouldn't be a single race in this country.

As for the OP. I'd wager the following

• White male
  • 45-65
  • drives a white or let's be daring here silver German sedan
  • lives in an overpriced security complex north of randburg. The name of which gets dropped at every opportunity.
  • middle management in a corporate. Probably finance.
  • thinks the world owes him cos he pays tax
  • got into MTB cos all his golfing mates did
  • the golf clubs are still in the garage for when duty calls
  • corporate riding kit.

Mr Grey

Edited by Omega Man

Guest notmyname

**Response not aimed at you dude. I've held back on commenting on this cos I didn't ride. I don't even live in JHB.

Unfortunately because it's sensationalism that sells not the truth. Forget the fact that thousands had fun and got to do something they wouldn't normally do. Let's focus on a few injuries and the fact that emergency services took long to respond to an emergency.

It's the good old PHD (Pull Him Down) in action. The race organizers are all just profiteering. Anyone who does well in business is a skelm. Etc etc etc.

If the race organizers had to listen what all the whiners had to say there wouldn't be a single race in this country.

As for the OP. I'd wager the following

• White male
  • 45-65
  • drives a white or let's be daring here silver German sedan
  • lives in an overpriced security complex north of randburg. The name of which gets dropped at every opportunity.
  • middle management in a corporate. Probably finance.
  • thinks the world owes him cos he pays tax
  • got into MTB cos all his golfing mates did
  • the golf clubs are still in the garage for when duty calls
  • corporate riding kit.
Mr Grey

Hehehe.