Late start time in Momentum 94.7

ycowley

Come on all you race snakes and early start time cyclists - give us mere mortals that are going to be in a suffer fest starting at 9h34 some advise for the day (hydration, staying cool, finishing the race in a reasonable time, etc.)

Riding in a group is a lot easier than solo. Try stick to bunch from your start group but if they too strong then wait for next group, if they weaker then join stronger groups from later batches and there a plenty of groups after you. Hydration i can ride 4 hours on 2 750ml bottles. Little can be done about the heat, maybe pouring water sachets on yourself could help. 

Just be careful.

At that time there are a lot of fun riders who don't know how to ride on the route.

When you get to a climb there's normally a wall of people in front of you, be patient and get past them safely.

Riding in a group is a lot easier than solo. Try stick to bunch from your start group but if they too strong then wait for next group, if they weaker then join stronger groups from later batches and there a plenty of groups after you. 

In my experience there aren't proper bunches at the back of the field to stick to. Usually groups consist of a few people wheelsucking a stronger rider and then quickly evaporates when the stronger rider tires or disappears up a climb...

Be prepared for a lot of solo riding...

If you're a noob, then take it easy in the beginning as you'll feel fresh and strong. Drink little sips from your bottle more often (every 5-10 minutes) and then stop at every other water point to refill if you find you're drinking too much. Don't forget to eat either, and if you have to, stop at the water points to get something. Keep your energy levels topped up and you'll spend more time on your bike riding at a steady pace, compared to riding at a very slow pace because you've burnt off all your reserves.

The second half of the route is hardly flat and if you've cycled too hard in the beginning you'll find the second half extremely hard. Easy pace up the hills, and recover on the downhills by soft pedaling (turning your legs slowly without pushing hard on the pedals).

If you're a first timer at the event, but you've been cycling for a while then you should know how to pace yourself - there aren't many groups that you can ride in, so steady pace is better than going hard the whole way.

There's a million and one tips that people can give - these helped me on my first few 94.7's.

Make sure you get in enough carbs (around 60 per hour).
During the first 3 hours of the race this can be done via carb drinks, energy bars and supplements like GUs. Thereafter at about the 3-3:30hr mark, ideally you should get in some whole food. Perhaps a wholewheat sandwich with peanut butter and honey.

Obviously hydration is key but instead of carrying more than two bottles with you (think weight), I'd suggest refilling at watering points where you can also spray a water over your head. 

My experience last year which was my first time. (not going this year):

Ride within yourself, don't go too fast too soon, rather leave some petrol in the tank for the last few km's. I started cramping lightly about 15km from finish, but made it through.

My last big training ride started the same time as the race and I rode for 4 hours to see how my body reacts to the heat etc etc and to see if my race plan wrt eating and drinking was ok.

I took my camelback (2L) and that's all fluids. Used a nougat bar called Race Food as they suggest on the packs and that's all food I took along. Didn't stop and any water point as they were too congested but at some managed to grab a water sachet to cool down a bit.

Other than that, its your first one, enjoy it and race the next one, scenery at some water points along the route is absolutely breathtaking :whistling:

Use lots of good sunblock.... :)

I am starting at 9:30.... charity group.... gonna be a long long day...

Sunblock firstly.

Rehydrate.  Very important

Take the first half easy.

Don't stop too long at the water points. 

Enjoy the vibe.  Too many people at the back tend to be on a mission instead of enjoying the atmosphere.

Watch out for the unskilled rider.  There are LOTS so try to not hit anyone.

i have done 3 , sub 3 cycle challenges with a person best time of 2:26.

I will be starting in group TT just because i have no seeding events results for the last 12 months...

nice ne?!!  %$^&%@%^%&&%&%@@^&&*

Last year I started KK group. Was a long solo ride. Don't carry to much use the water points. This year in starting in J hope I can stick to the bunch. 

If it is your first one just enjoy it. You are not going to break any records... It is going to be a long day. Stop at the waterpoints and soak up the atmosphere. Your start time will get better if you do more seeding races and you won't ever experience the 10:30 starting group again.

Ride at your own pace.

My first 94.7 was last year.  I started in H group, but let the group go at the start, and rode at a slower pace, as most of my races I started too hard.

Maintain a comfortable pace up the hills, and avoid being swept up in the race for the top of the hill.

I was overtaken heavily at the bottom of the hills, and had caught most of the guys out of breath before half way, and was flying past the guys near the top.

I rode most of the race alone, but did get a little shelter from the larger groups I was catching, 3 to 5 min every now and again.

Finished strong in 2.53.

Had a moment on the N14, where I hit a low point, but was strong on Summit Rd.

Make sure you have fun.

i have done 3 , sub 3 cycle challenges with a person best time of 2:26.

I will be starting in group TT just because i have no seeding events results for the last 12 months...

nice ne?!!  %$^&%@%^%&&%&%@@^&&*

this is K@K, i have only one racetec result for the past 12 months and that is last years 94, and i am starting in E. 

When is your last seeding race and what was the time?

this is K@K, i have only one racetec result for the past 12 months and that is last years 94, and i am starting in E. 

When is your last seeding race and what was the time?

I did last years race but my time was over 3 hours so i turn into the parking area ( big mistake)

so my last timed event was 2012 cycle challenge were i did a 2:53 from group B

i have emailed them for a 'grace' re seeding but no response so far.. 

Edited by Skaap