The Munga Postponed - World’s toughest race faces a tough challenge

News bot

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup the Munga is a race with a limited amount of people that can actually win it. You have to be a good cyclist and then you have to be tough mentally and then you need to be able to dig into that dark place to be a contender.

For the price-tag you are not even offered a memorable experience ore some comfort just the badge and sense of accomplishment that says, I have done this. I do not even think there will be something spectacular about the route as it is all about covering as much distance in as little time as possible.

The race is a flippen good idea but the prize money required the entry fee to be too high and the amount of entrants needed to be too many as well. 

I'd rather go for a decent prize get more media involved and attract more people and land a sponsor that will be happy to pay for the coverage and participation generated by the event.

I hope this happens would like to see what it takes to win this race

I'm an endurance rider myself (road rather than MTB). A lot of mates asked me why I wasn't entering and it was hard to define.

Definitely the high entry fee was off-putting, but it went deeper than that. I'd have no hope of winning it, in fact I'd most likely be a back marker. Again, that's no issue for me, it's how I like riding. Also, there was still some prize money drawn for one lucky finishing team not in the elite. So why not?

And there's my problem - the money is the problem. I ride with buddies for fun. My day job is about money. When I get on a bike I want to get away from that stress. I certainly don't want to spend a few days losing a good friend I'm riding with because either I can't keep up, or he can't, and the pressure of not being in for that big prize draw is too great.

I get the big prize fund for Pro riders capable of winning this - other jobs have the ability to earn big, so why not MTB riding if that is your career. But how many amateur riders will that tempt, where prize money is not a factor in your choice of rides.

Just my 10c - bring on the flames!