Giant glory dh 1 advice needed

Craig Webber

Hi guys im looking to get into DH. found this bike locally...Can you guys give me some advice on it...pros & cons, what its worth...

thx a lot

post-62687-0-28871900-1413441345_thumb.jpg

thats a bit of an open ended question without some relevant information such as:

• what year is the bike?
  • components?
  • service history?
  • suspension service history etc.
  • wheelset, tires, hubs etc?

One of the guys in our riding group rides one of these. The frame is solid. Heavy, but solid. It soaks up the hits well, is stable in the rough stuff and makes a great point and shoot bike. 

Keep in mind: It's at least 5 years old and DH geometry has changed a lot in the last 3 years, in my mind not necessarily for the better. These bikes are great for freeride duties and will definitely be enough for a beginner. 

As for the build: Not the latest or best parts, but a decent build kit for the time. If the Boxxer has been maintained properly, it should still have a bit of life in it. 

I haven't lived in SA for a while, so I have no idea what the market is like. That said, I can't imagine getting a complete bike for much less than that. Just make sure it isn't completely trashed. 

Hi guys im looking to get into DH. found this bike locally...Can you guys give me some advice on it...pros & cons, what its worth...

thx a lot

That is a good solid bike.

Provided it is in good condition, I would say R8000 is a reasonable price.

Hold the wheels, and give them a wiggle side to side. If you feel play the hubs will need servicing and or bearings replaced.

Hold the seat post with the wheels on the ground and giggle it up and down. If there is play here the pivot bearings will need servicing or replacement.

Look for signs of wear or scratches on the stanchions, and feel for side to side or back and forth play in the fork. This will give you an idea of the condition of the fork. Also when you compress and unload it, does it make any clicking or knocking sounds.

If this is all good, I recommend that you buy it.