Assisted Suicide By Bike

patches

So just in time for Friday...

This morning heading to work from Dunkeld to Bryanston on Willam Nicol, I notice all the roadies out doing their morning ride. At many of the red robots I see many of them either do slow-n-go (slow down slightly, quickly check the intersection, then sprint across), or just a plain out sailing through without a care in the world.

But this thread isn't about that. We've had many before about the red light lemmings.

THIS thread is particularly about the couple on the TANDEM I saw going through the red lights (mostly using the slow-n-go) method.

Wipe yourself out on your own bike... fine (not actually fine, you get what I'm saying though), but dragging someone (probably your wife/girfriend) along for the ride?! Not cool.

Here are some major flaws I see with a tandem trying this already foolish practice...

• Bigger target! You're bigger than a bike. In fact side-on a tandem is nearly the same size as a small hatch. I wouldn't dare skip red lights in a polo.
  • Braking. You can't brake as well as a normal bike. So if a car does enter that intersection that you deemed safe in your 1/2 sec expert assesment... you're pretty much commited to ride it out.
  • Acceleration. During your slow-n-go crossing method, if you need to suddenly speed up to clear the intersection, once again, you won't be able to do so as well as a normal bike.
  • Assisted Suicide... and finally, my biggest issue is that you (the conductor) are taking a passenger on this runaway train to potential disaster. Whether the stoker is running reds against their will or not, it's up to the frontman to think of the safety of both riders.

So fire-away-friday!

http://oi39.tinypic.com/3130ht4.jpg

Edited by patches

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw a cyclist yesterday around 17h00 doing that (not even go-slow), criss-crossing through the cars and shooting over the robot over the R300 on Old Paarl into brackenfell.

Especially after losing two fellow cyclists  and one getting off lucky in a span of two days, this just pisses me off.  

Unless this was the 1st time on a tandem, I'm sure that they have repeated this act before. If so the passenger is fully aware of the conductors cycling habits. 

does that make it ok?

In fact that makes it worse because then 2 of them should be doing the math about how much more risky it is doing an already foolish practice on a tandem.

(and yes, I doubt it was their first time)

Edited by patches

Could never be a passenger. After the first attempt of trying to skip a robot I would of klapped the oak in front of me that didnt know if he is coming or going. Might need to stop first. Dont wanna klap him then go down in the middle of the intersection.

does that make it ok?

In fact that makes it worse because then 2 of them should be doing the math about how much more risky it is doing an already foolish practice on a tandem.

since when does the fact that something is stupid/wrong/illegal/etc stop people from doing said stupid/wrong/illegal/etc things? People do doff stuff and generally don't change their behavior unless they learn the hard way.

since when does the fact that something is stupid/wrong/illegal/etc stop people from doing said stupid/wrong/illegal/etc things? People do doff stuff and generally don't change their behavior unless they learn the hard way.

too true! and even then they sometimes don't learn.

can't think of anything worse than sitting on a tandem looking up some okes butthole all day. If I was the passenger I might voluntarily skip the red to end my pain. :whistling:

You're doing it wrong (in so many ways) if you're staring at his butthole  :clap: ...

Nice avatar pic thingey...  :thumbup:

does that make it ok?

Nope never said it did. Just that the "innocent" passenger may be fully aware, hell they could even be egging the conductor on. 

You're doing it wrong (in so many ways) if you're staring at his butthole  :clap: ...

Nice avatar pic thingey...  :thumbup:

you know where that pic was taken.

Nope never said it did. Just that the "innocent" passenger may be fully aware, hell they could even be egging the conductor on. 

Just checking ;)

As for the over eager stoker... reminds me of the cases of the Totota Priuses that accelerated on their own.

As long as the tandem doesn't ride on the pavement, ride down Rubenstein rd or in oncoming traffic, I don't think you need to worry, that would open a can of worms.....

Sorry that happened already.