Please read and comment about Bike Tracking!

eelvio

Hey Hubbers

So I read recently there were a large number of people who would be interested in tracking their bike if the right device was available. With the cost if bikes and the safety issues we face is there a growing interest or is it a select few?

Some of the challenges are as follows:

The battery would need to be charged and be able to last for a week or more, this adds weight but technology is improving. The onus is on you to make sure it is always charged even with a sleep mode whereby the unit wakes up with movement.

The weight and design of the unit. At this stage you would not need to use it in on race day other than going to and from as the risks are extremely low, but for training and other normal/solo rides the extra weight could detract from the money already spent on losing weight.

The cost of the unit and a fee to track on a monthly basis, as any tracking system needs maintenance and server space.

New housings and development of these units are expensive, if they are of a decent quality.

Mounting or attachment to the bike which will allow the unit to keep a gps/gsm signal and not allow it to be ripped off and tossed aside. (camouflage or hiding it as such)

There are some features that can be added, such as a panic button however this depends on how and where the unit is mounted.

A fall alert can be generated, but we may fall too often for this to be practical and we could land up with a cry wolf scenario, whereby it is ignored by the receiver or perceived to be a false alarm.

Would you like to be able to track your bike?

What would you be prepared to pay monthly?

How much extra weight would you be prepared to carry?

Would you like a panic button feature?

Is a fall alert practical in terms of notifying someone by sms should it happen?

Currently I have a model which is 60g, has a SOS/alarm button, IPX5 compliant and Geo fencing among other things. Let's hear some of your  thoughts and see if there is potential to support such a device.

Cheers

Lee

Disclaimer: I do not work for or own a Tracking company, I do however deal in hardware and am looking for a way to help our cycling community.

Edited by eelvio

hey Lee, I for 1 would not be interested they can have it, my insurance will pay out with some luck and I will buy another.

A bike is a nice to have but not a necessity.... 

All of the above.

I'm all for it...at least the cops will be able to start making a dent in the organised crime syndicates that run this thing, arrest the violent criminals that perpetrate the hijackings...

Also think it would be helpful if you're injured for assistance to find you...

My opinion is that this needs to be built into the bike. Oly way for it to be effective is if the bike has to be broken to take it out. That probably means it can not be installed or fixed easily. But doing this also might interfere with the signal or maybe the frame itself can be used as antenna. 

Will maybe add weight so this will not be your serious racers first choice but again those guys sometimes has multiple bikes.

Manufacturers might consider it as in Europe bicycle theft is a hobby for some but not anywhere as violent as in SA.

Reducing the ping rate of such device will extend the battery. Also using newer sun energy tech might help with charging.

All of the above.

I'm all for it...at least the cops will be able to start making a dent in the organised crime syndicates that run this thing, arrest the violent criminals that perpetrate the hijackings...

Also think it would be helpful if you're injured for assistance to find you...

The fall alert was designed for the elderly who had a fall and may have needed assistance, it can be incorporated into a unit with the correct settings.

might interfere with the signal or maybe the frame itself can be used as antenna. 

Reducing the ping rate of such device will extend the battery. Also using newer sun energy tech might help with charging.

In a metal frame would create a problem hence the question on mounting.

Settings can allow the report time to be extended and a deep sleep mode but when movement is detected it will wake up and report a time and/or distance

Sun tech is extremely expensive but agreed would be good.

Hi Eelvio. I think it makes sense. If you have more than one bike, my understanding of insurance is that you are paying for all the bikes, yet only one is in danger of being stolen , hi-jacked, accidental damage, etc. With the exception of a house breaking of coarse.

For that reason, I choose not to insure.

But if there was a tracker that could easily be switched between bikes, I would definitely be keen to subscribe to a monthly fee. It could be integrated into a usb rechargeable rear light, a bomb, into a bar end, the crown of the fork... There are an  unlimited amount of options. One of the "car tracking guys" had something similar, but it was glued down to the bike.

It makes good business sense for the service provider, as I would need 4 units & 4 monthly subs; and I would have 4 bikes with a potentially no comeback with regards to a warranty claim....

Keep us posted. Hope you find sufficient interest, and you can always market to other moveable goods - jetskis , trailers, quads, etc....

Keep us posted. Hope you find sufficient interest

Thanks for the reply and info, I have spoken to a few people and there does seem to be willing people but interest is key. . The device itself is good quality and is used in large numbers around the world already, I would request a specifically designed casing which would require big numbers.

In a metal frame would create a problem hence the question on mounting.

Settings can allow the report time to be extended and a deep sleep mode but when movement is detected it will wake up and report a time and/or distance

Sun tech is extremely expensive but agreed would be good.

Look there is no sure way to foolproof this. I suppose it will work with a cellphone signal to report back and that can be jammed. But I think at least for the moment we are still combating a lesser specialized chap. It has to be mounted in the frame with a extended antenna that can be wired to the closest opening and a none conductive material can be put between the metal bike and antenna. Just hope they do not know about this and rip it off. Maybe create a patent where the antenna is very thin and can be sprayed over. At least the guy must deface the bike exterior to get it off making it easy to spot a stolen bike.

Will an internal device work on a carbon bike?

I will support this 100% if there is no 24 month contract crap. I am de-contacting my life atm.

Will an internal device work on a carbon bike?

I will support this 100% if there is no 24 month contract crap. I am de-contacting my life atm.

good question, I am not sure but will find out soon enough.

How would you see it working for you? What alternatives are there other than a once off purchase, the unit is one thing but the software is where you see the info.There are ways and means but I want to get a feel of what people are comfortable with, then maybe there is a structure that will work.

Edited by eelvio

hey Lee, I for 1 would not be interested they can have it, my insurance will pay out with some luck and I will buy another.

A bike is a nice to have but not a necessity.... 

Me either. Tracking devices are a hassle and a great scapegoat for insurers to hide behind. Which is why my car is tracking device free too. (I wrote off my car tracking company phoned......3 weeks later. For a device that was suppose to be proactive)

good question, I am not sure but will find out soon enough.

How would you see it working for you? What alternatives are there other than a once off purchase, the unit is one thing but the software is where you see the info, there are ways and means but I want a feel of what people are comfortable with then maybe there is a structured that will work.

I will purchase it. I'm not loaded but I am quitting contracts altogether. I feel locked in. Will pay the subscription for the month to month tracking software + armed reaction. It is important that I am not reliant on my family or SAPS to respond in a time of need. This will go nicely with a tracker or the likes.

Look this is my opinion on the contract thing I am sure most others will prefer the contract.

An upgrade will be if the device can link via BT or Ant to a screen and serves as a duel fitness instrument and concealed tracker that can also upload to your Strava and other fitness monitoring sites. Then this is not an extra device but just an concealed GPS device that most of us fit anyway. It also negates some of the weight factor.

Just a by the way - would it be able to connect with Strava (deal klincher)

Ok I should have also posted it in one line too. lol

i've been thinking of this one for a long long long long time.

To be honest, I will only purchase a device that is effective in Amsterdam. That for me is the ultimate testing ground of stolen bikes.

fwiw a friend of mine had her bike stolen in leafy vancouver last week, locked in a car inside their property.