First Aid course, everyone should do one.

MaXiMuM

So the bomb hole claimed another rider today.

I was the first first aid trained cyclist to offer assistance, which is concerning, as the patient must have been down for a while when I arrived.

Without going into details, he was relatively stable, but in shock, I stabilised him and got him into a flat recovery position, and waited for the paramedics. It is a neck and upper back injury, so there wasn't much more to do, except keep him stable and wait for the professionals.

Thankfully my work has always required me to be first aid trained and I would say that the skills lernt gets used once every 6 months or so.

Personally, I would love to see more people doing a first aid course, especially because of the dangers associated with riding. They are inexpensive and you can do a basic one in a day.

Anyone know of a good spot to do a course, preferably in PTA? I did one a few years ago but have long forgotten what I learnt.

I think its if utmost importance. Was fortunate over the last few years to be sent by my company. More than worrying about def defence on rides, why aren't more people worried about taking care if ur riding buddies in the event of something bad happening.

You are absolutely correct.

Thanks for having the humanity to stop and do what you could to help. Even if its just holding the patients hand and calling for help, its the right thing to do.

Kudos - I doff my hat to you sir.

Agree, just did a level one certification course the other day courtesy of my employer.  Will say what I've learned will most definitely come in handy should something go wrong on the trails as it once did with a buddy of mine before I did the course. 

I recently completed a Level 1 FA course. Going to do a Level 2 in the not too distant future.

I'm lucky enough to have a wife who is a AA with the Metro ambulance service,wee usually ride together,but she has tought me a few basics should have the need for it when riding alone.

It should be compulsory in schools

It is already (in OBE). Part of Life Orientation is a first aid and firefighting certificate.

Refresher training is the missing link here.

Had this same revelation a few months ago, so did my first aid levels 1-3. At my size if I hit I'll hit hard so need to be prepared. :D

I was the first rider past the scene after his fall.

I asked if I could call the paramedics and asked if there was anything I could help with- but his friend said everything looked ok. He was sitting in a slouched position looking rather groggy...

I also told them it was a notorious accident spot and checked to make sure they knew their location if they were going to call the paramedics.

Well done on helping with first aid where you could...

1st Aid course is a must.Lucky to do it as part of health and safety at work.I was thinking about taking some 1st Aid stuff along on rides while out on my morning ride.Can't forget the lady on the Ou Wapad(K2C)with a hugh gash in her upper leg.The problem is what do you take along and where do you carry it?

At the end of the day its not so much what u are carrying but how u can utilize what you have at ur disposal at any given point in time. That for me makes a good first responder...not a nicely kitted out bag, but the skills and know how to stabilize someone that is injured.