Are rear door mounted bike carriers safe for VW Polo's

MarickH

Hi everyone,

I have grown tired of struggling to get my 29er into my Polo hatch. There really is no good way of making it fit without removing both wheels, which I refuse to do.

My question is whether rear door mounted bike carriers are safe to use on the Polo, considering that it will hook onto the window itself, since there is no rear window frame.

Any advice appreciated.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

one of my riding buddies had a carrier on his polo before selling it.

it worked fine and strapped to the back door with no issues - carried two bikes easily.

google "vw polo with bike carrier"

looks like there are plenty options out there.

The Thule Clip On is probably the only one worth looking at.  Twice the price of some of the others but worth it.  Although to avoid fines for obstructing lights and number plate you probably should remove the wheels anyway.

I use to travel with road bike behind front seats of car ... not sure about 29er.

Involves removing front wheel (saves you trouble of one wheel at least), wheeling the bike in from driver side so that the bikes rear wheel is on floor behind passenger seat and the bike up side down. (hope that makes sense)

Give it a try until you get your carrier sorted.

Edited by Thomo

What's great about the Thule Clip On is that there are no fiddley straps and it is extremely stable.

Great thread. I drive a 2012 polo gti, I dont want to use roof racks as I know i will forget my bike is on my roof, and a towbar doesnt suit the rear apron too well.

If anyone knows that it fits the GTI like the rest, bootlid and all, that would be great,

Great thread. I drive a 2012 polo gti, I dont want to use roof racks as I know i will forget my bike is on my roof, and a towbar doesnt suit the rear apron too well.

If anyone knows that it fits the GTI like the rest, bootlid and all, that would be great,

The Thule I posted above WILL work...if it fits over the ST wing it'll fit the Polo GTi as well..

I also wanted a towbar, but not available and roof racks kinda suck IMHO...so clip on was only option. I looked around forever...then happened to find someone at CRC who just KNEW! :D

Hi there

I have a Polo Hatch and use a Buzz Beetle rack, the hooks you talking about don't need to hook onto the widow, if you look just below the rear windscreen and above the rear tail light, you will see a place for the hook to clip onto.

check pic I attached that's the best I could explain. hope this helps.

works like a dream!!!!

post-63685-0-96426700-1413979095_thumb.jpg

i have a 2013 polo, thule clip on, works like a dream, and i have a XL 29er and no problems. i have put a piece of road bike tube around the 2 bottom clamps to not chafe the paint on the boot. Really quick to attach and sits very sturdy!

i think i paid R1800 a year ago. 

Thanks for the replies. So which is the best, the clip-on or the strappy ones?

definately clip on, its very hard to steal also.

definately clip on, its very hard to steal also.

Thanks. I see you are in Stellenbosch, so I assume you are also happy with its wind-resistance?

Thanks. I see you are in Stellenbosch, so I assume you are also happy with its wind-resistance?

it has very little wind resistance, the rack itself is completely behind the car, it depends how big your bike is, mine is the size of a farmgate, so yes it has a bit of resistance.

I use the Thule 9104 I think? It has the solid arms and no straps. Connects to bottom of rear door and top of tail gate, holds 3 bikes pretty damn well and ive had no problems, except for a bit of missing paint on my bumper as it wasnt set 100%.

I carry 3 29'rs to race days on this sucker.

http://cachera.be/img/p/930-1110-thickbox.jpg

Edited by Surv0MTB