Are rear door mounted bike carriers safe for VW Polo's

MarickH

it has very little wind resistance, the rack itself is completely behind the car, it depends how big your bike is, mine is the size of a farmgate, so yes it has a bit of resistance.

After loading my bike into the car last night, I also consider it to be the size of farmgate, lol!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, I am convinced that the ClinOn is the best one for me.

I saw a second-hand one on Gumtree, but if I want to buy new, where is best?

I used a Buzzrack Mosquito on my Polo hatch.  Drove from Kimberley to CPT, then Lambert's Bay and back to Kimberley (more than 2000km).  Worked excellent and I still got 18km per litre fuel consumption.

I use the Thule 9104 I think? It has the solid arms and no straps. Connects to bottom of rear door and top of tail gate, holds 3 bikes pretty damn well and ive had no problems, except for a bit of missing paint on my bumper as it wasnt set 100%.

I carry 3 29'rs to race days on this sucker.

http://cachera.be/img/p/930-1110-thickbox.jpg

I have one of these, and must say that the 26" wheels of my Scott will not clear traffic.  It sticks out way to far for my comfort, so I remove both wheels.  And must say that by removing both wheels, you can feel that the car has to work less.  So my guess will be there might be a fair amount of wind resistance.  

I will rather remove my wheels.  Not in the position to buy new wheels at the moment.  And judging how people drive these days in respect to clearing distances...

oh, fitted to a Kia Rio.

Edited by François Marais

I have one of these, and must say that the 26" wheels of my Scott will not clear traffic.  It sticks out way to far for my comfort, so I remove both wheels.  And must say that by removing both wheels, you can feel that the car has to work less.  So my guess will be there might be a fair amount of wind resistance.  

I will rather remove my wheels.  Not in the position to buy new wheels at the moment.  And judging how people drive these days in respect to clearing distances...

oh, fitted to a Kia Rio.

100%. Front and back wheels protrude from the side of the vehicle but Ive never had a problem with this. Also causes wind resistance which is negated by removing the wheels and sticking them inside the car. I have since become lazy and now just drive a bit slower to avoid heavy resistance and the shlep of having to put the wheels on again. I have also travelled with it and used it on hire cars which is great.

I do suggest though that one buys new straight from Thule, they can then honor any warantee and install the thing for you properly so you dont run into issues.

Thanks, I am convinced that the ClinOn is the best one for me.

I saw a second-hand one on Gumtree, but if I want to buy new, where is best?

Which ever one you go for, be careful. I had one on a mini that rested against the back door and I hit a speed bump too fast and the weight of two bikes pushed the rear door in, 16k fix!! It also sat too close to the back door and one of the pedals rubbed the bumper and took all the paint off. Now have a tow hitch rack on a bigger car.

I also have the clip on Thule.  I love it!  Easy to put on and take off, and it's super solid.  Also, it can't be stolen without opening the boot lid, so that's a plus - I can just forget about it on a ride.  

My bike barely sticks out to the sides with both wheels on (29er and road bike) maybe 5cm on each side.  Maybe my car is just wider?

The clip on is more expensive, but it's benefits far outweigh the initial cost.  Straps suck ass

• 1 month later...

Feedback time: I bought the Thule ClipOn over the weekend. Money well spent! Easy to attach, easy to load, and very stable. I am super happy with my purchase and no longer dread taking the bikes out for a ride. 

Feedback time: I bought the Thule ClipOn over the weekend. Money well spent! Easy to attach, easy to load, and very stable. I am super happy with my purchase and no longer dread taking the bikes out for a ride. 

Some advice: take and old tube and cut it into four 2x4cm pads that you then stick onto the contact points of your car using insulation tape or something. The rack WILL damage the car otherwise. I learned that with my old Polo. On the new one I put on the pads and have had no damage in 3 years.

Or you can trade the polo for a bakkie? :whistling:

I own a 2010 Polo comfortline which the wife has hijacked, and a corsa 1.4 bakkie. Loading my trusty 29er in to the back of the bakkie takes all of 38 seconds. 33 of which are spent unlocking and opening the hatch...

Thanks for the replies. So which is the best, the clip-on or the strappy ones?

The ones that go on a tow bar.... rather fit a tow bar and get one of those.

And if you do get one that touches your paintwork - definatly put tape under it where it touches the paintwork, because otherwise you will lose paint - and that is never going to be good.

Great thread. I drive a 2012 polo gti, I dont want to use roof racks as I know i will forget my bike is on my roof, and a towbar doesnt suit the rear apron too well.

If anyone knows that it fits the GTI like the rest, bootlid and all, that would be great,

It does

I have a 2014 Polo GTI, which is the same shape. Fits 100% 

Will fit any Polo.

For the side straps, there is the little piece of metail below the windows, next to the lights. 

Fits in there

I have the Thule one you fit on the tow bar. But, I usually just put my bike (29er ds) in the polo (also hatch).

Take out both the rear seat cushions (mine are permanently out because it's also my "bakkie" for the dog. Put seat (back rests) down.

Remove front wheel.

Put bike in from boot, with the handlebar and fork first.

Fit in very easy and quick. 

I do this because kaapenaars generally drive like tossers and one day someone is gonna rear end me with the bike on the rack. (I don't put bike in car in rainy weather though).

Edited by dre

I had one, Thule hang on rack, bought second hand locally.

It worked great but I wasn't at all pleased with the paint it removed from my Polo when removing the rack. I even applied VPS to the attachement areas but then the clips wouldn't slide over the boot lid at the top.

Needless to say I sold it straight away.

I am now rather saving up for a tow bar and a decent stand on rack.

Just be wary of the paint damage is what I am saying.