Mushrooms

Mousea

I really enjoy the rain we have been having.

Mushrooms are popping up on the verges where I live.

Have had many a pot filled with them so far.

As for the Family they sit and watch me "You sure they are not poison mushrooms"

I have been asked the same question for 10 years.... well by the time they have decided I"m not dying I've finished  them.

And Yes Mushroom are good for you

Edited by Mousea

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi I'm in the same boat. I pick lots and get to eat them on my own. The family dont know what they're missing. Field mushrooms, iKowa, Boletes, and a buddy needs to show me the horse mushroom.

Think I'll take the afternoon off and go pick :)

Some of them even has medicinal uses, and some studies show they can help decrease the risk of cancer... so I read.

general rule of thumb...avoid mushrooms in pine forests..

my next door neighbour did his masters on mushrooms and there is a big long list of do's and dont's that it is far safer to go to the shop than to take a chance...unless its a korma (however you spell it)

Pine rings,wood blewitts, boletus , sulphur shelf and poplar boletus seem to be the only ones i can find. must research more.

Im waiting for my other favorite to appear, normally mid November through to December

Ikhowe (Zulu) or Termite Mushroom

These have to be the best eating mushroom around

Rule of thumb advised by the mushroom guru's is to start learning about mushrooms by knowing the poisonous ones first.

general rule of thumb...avoid mushrooms in pine forests..

my next door neighbour did his masters on mushrooms and there is a big long list of do's and dont's that it is far safer to go to the shop than to take a chance...unless its a korma (however you spell it)

The tastiest are found under pines, pine rings, and the king, the porcini (Boletus edulus)

Im waiting for my other favorite to appear, normally mid November through to December

Ikhowe (Zulu) or Termite Mushroom

These have to be the best eating mushroom around

Termitomyces umkowaan