Mushrooms

Mousea

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For the mushroom hunters in the Cape, a little heads up. Boletus Edulis is out early after our recent good rains. D was delighted and we have a stash that will keep us in mushroom soup, stew and pies for the coming year. But I'm not telling you where to search, except that it is accessible on a mountain bike. For everyone else, ignore this message.

post-17716-0-06288000-1616928975_thumb.jpg

For the mushroom hunters in the Cape, a little heads up. Boletus Edulis is out early after our recent good rains. D was delighted and we have a stash that will keep us in mushroom soup, stew and pies for the coming year. But I'm not telling you where to search, except that it is accessible on a mountain bike. For everyone else, ignore this message.

I have seen some yesterday. Hmm, I dunno which shrooms are safe though. I even saw a purple colour one and a maroonish one. No clue what they are. 

• 3 weeks later...

My wife loves her mushrooms.  But mushrooms is a high risk food for me.  I can tolerate a bit of mushrooms, but I tend to get very sick from it because it takes a bit longer to digest.  So I run a risk of landing in the hospital with every bite.  But I must say, you can't make a chicken pie without mushrooms.

I love mushrooms, well the ones that you eat for nutritional purposes anyway,  but would be too scared to pick wild ones as I have no knowledge of what is poisonous etc.  Some have popped up in the garden here and there. 

• 4 weeks later...

Can I eat these without killing myself - anyone know of a book/app I can use to identify mushrooms - I have dozens of varieties on my land including the fun kind - and even these I’m not sure which is which

I love mushrooms and they are going to waste - will post more as I continue to mow

post-81229-0-24037900-1620641561_thumb.jpeg

post-81229-0-14862500-1620641575_thumb.jpeg

Can I eat these without killing myself - anyone know of a book/app I can use to identify mushrooms - I have dozens of varieties on my land including the fun kind - and even these I’m not sure which is which

I love mushrooms and they are going to waste - will post more as I continue to mow

Not an app, but post on this group on FB and have all your questions answered

https://www.facebook.com/groups/364917120314316

Mushrooms of Southern Africa

Edited by Kranswurm

Can't tell ... so don't eat :P

A good book/resource here:

https://www.takealot.com/mushrooms-other-fungi-of-south-africa/PLID52393514

Apps unfortunately wont be particularly useful, except for iNaturalist perhaps as it is the community assisting identification. But you need pics of the top of the cap, underside of the cap/gills, stipe (stem) etc etc :)

Hi Wayne, there must be someone in your area who is good at mushroom id. Usually the go-to people are any Italian restaurant owner or chef.   I am very hesitant to id mushrooms from photographs. It is much easier to have the thing in your hand. But, for what it is worth, I am pretty sure the ones you show above are not edible.

got some of these last winter on a certain mtb trail. Found them a bit 'meh' to be honest after hearing how great they are.

post-32237-0-85911400-1620643390_thumb.jpg