The Cradle is Insane

Paul Ruinaard

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't condone swearing at anybody on the bike. We are all there to get fit and have fun. My issue with this picture however, is that it looks to me like the Cyclelab bunch are overtaking a group of riders who have chosen to ride right on the edge of the cycling lane. As we have all pointed out before, if you overtake a group on their left, there is a greater chance of a crash. 

Because Cyclelab have such a distinctive kit, everybody is quick to blame them. I do not believe that this picture demonstrates anything other than the fact that a group of riders riding 2 abreast happen to be overtaking a slower group of riders.

CRAP!! 

If that was the case, the front guys would have already started moving back into the CYCLING LANE. They are already at least 50 meters past the photographer. More than enough time / space to safely overtake and move back into the correct lane.

These chops had no intention of riding in the cycling lane.

I have just given up and am waiting for the weekend after 94.7.

Sure the buzz is great, but i do think that we will see some big crashes soon, if there haven't been already.

This weekend and last weekend: Guy broke his collar bone near the caves - didn't see the accident but it looked like inexperience in a bunch.

last weekend a guy who was i think on a borrowed bike getting seconded by a bakkie who was handing him bottles and telling him to vasbyt and that he can do it. Wobbling all over the road and very close to sliding under the bakkie wheels at about 25kmh.

Darwin's laws start applying after a bit - i cant help grave stupidity and you get told to go f*ck yourself if you say something.

So lets just wait until 2 weeks time when all will be hunky dory again

CRAP!! 

If that was the case, the front guys would have already started moving back into the CYCLING LANE. They are already at least 50 meters past the photographer. More than enough time / space to safely overtake and move back into the correct lane.

These chops had no intention of riding in the cycling lane.

??

You can see what the guy 50m away is wearing? If he is 50 metres away, he is not part of the Cyclelab bunch you see in the picture in any case.

It doesn't matter how you dissect the picture, the cyclists are in the wrong. There is no point dreaming up possible scenarios where what the picture shows is ok.

I have ridden with the Lab guys before and yes most of them will try their best to stay out of the way, but I have seen them ride a few abreast sometimes, this usually gets sorted quickly by a member who will scream "single file" or something of the sorts, or the favourite of "CAAAARRR BAAACCKK" usually gets the guys in line. (am a member)

So, yes they did it, yes their guys try and fix it and no its not just them.

Edited by Patchelicious

??

You can see what the guy 50m away is wearing? If he is 50 metres away, he is not part of the Cyclelab bunch you see in the picture in any case.

Where did I say I can see what kit the front guy is wearing? But if you want to be pedantic, and you look closely at the front guy sitting on the dotted yellow line, he is wearing a CL top.

What I can see is that he is not making any effort to move back into the cycling lane!!

And how can he not be part of the bunch if he has a lot of guys sitting on his wheel, even if it's 50 meters away?

Edited by Wannabe

Where did I say I can see what kit the front guy is wearing? But if you want to be pedantic, and you look closely at the front guy sitting on the dotted yellow line, he is wearing a CL top.

What I can see is that he is not making any effort to move back into the cycling lane!!

And how can he not be part of the bunch if he has a lot of guys sitting on his wheel, even if it's 50 meters away?

:thumbup:  :clap:  :drool:  ^_^  :D  :lol: the name says it all - you are a Wannabe Cyclelab rider

:thumbup:  :clap:  :drool:  ^_^  :D  :lol: the name says it all - you are a Wannabe Cyclelab rider

Not even if you pay the overinflated yearly subscription for me. :whistling:

These guys?

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k570/patchelicious1/VO.png>

anybody spot the fact that the dude on the left hasn't got a helmet on?

Edited by jeremyd

anybody spot the fact that the dude on the left hasn't got a helmet on?

Yes I saw that, but he wasn't part of the club. He was riding on his own later.

No helmet = endangering own life, natural selection. Riding like the group in the pic endangers others.

Yes I saw that, but he wasn't part of the club. He was riding on his own later.

No helmet = endangering own life, natural selection. Riding like the group in the pic endangers others.

The guy with no helmet on. He is a black cyclist his name is Mandla. I saw him in the cradle two weeks ago. He was riding a old 5 speed steel bike. I rode next to him and talked to him for a while. He is training for the 94.7. Loves cycling and does what he can to get out and ride. Does not have much if any money but is studying bussines at Damelin. No idea who is paying for that.

I had my first bike, a aluminum 10 speed Schwinn, in the garage not knowing what to do with it. The cycling bug bit and I now have a Pinarello and a Cervelo so a aluminum Schwinn is really a waste on me. I took him back to my house and gave him the bike, it was in pieces. I also gave him a few cycling shirts, gloves and sunglasses.

In the week since I gave him the bike, he has put it together. He came to show me the bike at Broadacres and did a 100km ride with me. He does not have a helmet as he cannot afford one. Maybe somebody could donate?

I am on the bike next to him. Yes I did pull the socks up a bit high.

We were not riding with the club. They came past us.